PDA

View Full Version : Spelling Bees

kyro
05-25-2005, 12:50 PM
After reading MicroBob's post, I got to wondering how 2+2ers fared in spelling bees. Myself, I was something of a prodigy when I was in 1-2 grade. I won the 2nd grade bee when I was in first grade, and then they didn't let me compete the next two years to (give others a chance).

I tapered off after that until I made it to my district bee (the one after you win the school), and finished 4th in both 7th and 8th grade. My words were "babblative" and "demurs." (The bitch who had the dictionary told me demurs was not a plural of a word so I confused it with demures. I'm still bitter.)

I'm curious how many people here went past their district and onto the state and then national spelling bee. Were you all as socially inept as 95% of the kids you see on TV?

DemonDeac
05-25-2005, 12:55 PM
95%?????

Dead
05-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Exceptable got me in 4th grade. Finished 5th in the state one.

kerssens
05-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I was an alternate in my school district in 4th grade. An alternate has to show up and see if anybody doesn't show. It sucked balls.

Duke
05-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Got whacked in 8th grade with 'grogram' at some sort of regional or league thing. I'd never heard of the word before. I never studied the dictionary either.

~D

kyro
05-25-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Exceptable got me in 4th grade. Finished 5th in the state one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still bitter about it too I see.

kyro
05-25-2005, 01:03 PM
That was my problem in 7th grade. I never really studied what I should have. Babblative should have been easy. (I think I missed one of the 'Bs.'

8th grade killed me though. I studied very hard for that one and I just choked under p-r-e-s-s-u-r-.......e. When she said it wasn't a plural of a noun, I automatically assumed it wasn't 'demurs,' my initial thought, instead of realizing 'demures' wasn't even a word. god, now i'm pissed.

eric5148
05-25-2005, 01:08 PM
The fact that spelling bees exist means the English language is retarded.

andyfox
05-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Eye nevver didd to goode, four sum reazon.

NutCrackerr
05-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I was the nachional speling bee champeeon back in 1986. Boy those we're some goode times!

Dr. Strangelove
05-25-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Deutsch ist besser. I

Alobar
05-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Im sure no one will be suprised, but I never was a spelling bee champ /images/graemlins/smile.gif Funny thing tho, my 6th grade year, I finished 4th in the 6th grade class, which was completely due to varience as I got every easy word on the list. (stuff like "house"). 7th grade was a more normal year for me, when I went out second to last, when I mispelled "jaded" (me:"J-A-D-D-E-D, Jaded" heh)

daryn
05-25-2005, 02:52 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great point. italian is one of the easiest languages in the world to pronounce and spell words. they all spell like they sound and vice-versa, if you go by their pronunciation rules of course.

Duke
05-25-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great point. italian is one of the easiest languages in the world to pronounce and spell words. they all spell like they sound and vice-versa, if you go by their pronunciation rules of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that English has become a conglomeration of words from every other language on Earth has something to do with this. Other languages don't do that to the same extreme.

English will end up being the "global" language. The only other contender is Chinese, and that will lose for obvious reasons.

In case they're not obvious to everyone else, I'll list some reasons that Chinese will never be the de facto global language:

1. There are 9 billion dialects.
2. There are 9 billion dialects in part because spoken languages evolve much more quickly than written ones.
3. It's mainly a spoken language because half the country is illiterate, since it's so difficult to write.
4. It's so difficult to write that even attempts at phoneticizing it (Pinyin) constantly change.
5. My mom tells me there are a lot of black people in China.

~D

ClaytonN
05-25-2005, 06:47 PM
I went to the Georgia state finals. Finished like 12th.

2+2 wannabe
05-25-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ClaytonN
05-25-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a south park reference

gorie
05-25-2005, 08:56 PM
i don't remember what grade it was, like 2nd or 3rd... i spelled the word "carry" wrong in a spelling bee.

and i remember my family teasing about it forever, because my name is carey.
i spelled it "carrie" ... bah. i just knew it was different than how i spelled my name /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
05-25-2005, 09:01 PM
kind of off topic, but there's an interesting little movie called Spellbound which i think is a good if not interesting watch.

Bulldog
05-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Won an elementary bee in 5th grade. "Meteorologist" was the winner. Won the district bee in 8th grade, went out 21st of 32 in the regional on a word I can't remember, but it had Latin origins and my Latin teacher was so pissed he wouldn't talk to me for a week.

Jack of Arcades
05-26-2005, 08:50 AM
carbueretor in 3rd grade.

GuyOnTilt
05-26-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
kind of off topic, but there's an interesting little movie called Spellbound which i think is a good if not interesting watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was good. Worth watching.

GoT

jakethebake
05-26-2005, 09:24 AM
When I was in the fourth grade they out me in a fifth grade class because of a classroom/teacher shortage. I won the fifth grade spelling bee. I don't remember any of the words. But I think I was like the first one knocked out of the big run-off thing for district or whatever.

sfer
05-26-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Spellbound. One of the best things about it is that the kids are all geeky but still at an age where they can't hide it.

kyro
05-26-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't remember what grade it was, like 2nd or 3rd... i spelled the word "carry" wrong in a spelling bee.

and i remember my family teasing about it forever, because my name is carey.
i spelled it "carrie" ... bah. i just knew it was different than how i spelled my name /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

talk about messing with a child. "No I'm sorry, you spelled your name wrong. MUHAHAHA."

Duke
05-26-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a South Park joke. Only 1/100 of my posts are completely serious. This was not one of them.

~D