PDA

View Full Version : I never play Party SnG's only PS & PR,am I missing out?

vindikation
05-25-2005, 12:09 PM
I just started playing the $20's this weekend after 6 months at the $10's. I've only played SnG's at Poker Stars and Poker Room and never played at the Party skins.

A majority of the discussions on this forum deal with the Party structure. I don't know if this qualifies as a Party vs Stars debate (flame resistant suit on), but I'm just curious to see what people think about NEVER playing on Party.

FWIW I play the $25NL ring games at Party to clear bonuses (can't use SnG's to do this) and play $20 SnG's at Poker Room and Poker Stars to clear their bonuses. I'm always trying to play at a site where I can work off a bonus because I don't have any rakeback.

So am I missing out on anything not playing at Party, or is this a matter of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Iamafish
05-25-2005, 12:11 PM
I switched to PP for right now becuase the SnG's are shorter. But you also only have an 800 stack, so the variance is a lot higher.

It's a lot different, more than I thought. You have to adjust a lot.

revots33
05-25-2005, 12:13 PM
I played exclusively on Stars for a long time, because I liked the 1500 starting chips and the blind structure.

However, I decided to give Party a try and now I like Party better. The players are worse, the tournaments are quicker, and my hourly win rate has improved. The Party structure is more of a crapshoot, but all the fish make up for it.

I still like Stars, great site, great customer service - but I think you'll find, if you're winning on Stars you could probably win more on Party.

wiggs73
05-25-2005, 12:22 PM
i remember you mentioning you played on PR a few months ago in one of my posts about it... i've since switched to PP. i personally like it better because the games go so much quicker.

when i first started playing sng's at party, i left because i didn't like (didn't understand) the structure. i felt like it didn't allow you to 'play poker'. once i grasped that you don't win money in them by 'playing poker', i've been doing just fine. it definitely takes a strategy adjustment and if it is the outplaying of the other players that you enjoy, i'd stay put. if it's making as much money as possible that you enjoy, i'd say at least try it.

vindikation
05-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Well one thing that has been mentioned is that the games seem to take quite a bit longer at Stars and Poker Room with the 1500 chips. Stars is even longer with my average ITM game lasting well over an hour. Poker Room seems to be a little faster with an average game around 1 hour.

I tried to "simulate" a Party game at Stars by playing the Turbos, but I wasn't too happy with those results. More than likely it was either poor play on my part or a bad run.

It sounds like it might be a good idea to give the Party skins a shot of maybe 50-100 SnG's to test the waters.

TStokes
05-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I started out playing on Stars but eventually heard how bad party players were so I gave it a shot. I blew my initial deposit very quickly and cursed the structure of party. A couple months later I decided to give it another shot. I have been building up ever since and have adjusted nicely to the structure at party. Now I only play at stars if it is a turbo or a large tournament.

syka16
05-25-2005, 01:13 PM
I played about 500 22s only at pokerroom and I decided to switch to party just because I've read that it's more profitable to play there. After about 200 at party I switched back.

A_Junglen
05-25-2005, 02:03 PM
It's a trade off between amount of PP sit's (since the most they last is about 40 min) or performance at stars/ub/pr, etc. I personally don't miss PP's SNG's, and now play at PR. Overall it's really preference though.