PDA

View Full Version : 34s in sb against big field: check/raise flop on draw?

Wynton
05-25-2005, 11:37 AM
I assume most people here would recommend check/raising the flop. But I am not quite comfortable with check/raising on draws yet. Isn't the idea that we do this either when the draw is really strong (which isn't the case here) or in an attempt to win on a semi-bluff (which doesn't seem likely here against large field). Also, I really wanted to see the turn, but didn't want to risk of a three-bet.

Should I also have check/raised or led the river? I didn't do so because this table was really pretty loose/passive, and it was very difficult to put anyone on a hand.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

J.R.
05-25-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
isn't the idea that we do this either when the draw is really strong (which isn't the case here)

[/ QUOTE ]

what's a strong draw then?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I really wanted to see the turn,

[/ QUOTE ]

how could you not see the turn?

[ QUOTE ]
Should I also have check/raised or led the river? I didn't do so because this table was really pretty loose/passive,

[/ QUOTE ]

if they are loose they are likely to call light, and if hey are passive they will likely call with better hands. both of these are good things.

stigmata
05-25-2005, 11:48 AM
You need to pump these draws - you have a ton of outs! Remember, a flush draw is almost 2:1 against hitting, so if you get three callers for every bet, then you profit. So check-raise the flop and get more in the pot.

I would probably check/call the turn because of the fear of a raise from so many opponents. Our pot equity just halved when we missed on the turn, so we now want to see the river as cheap as possible. With any luck it will get checked through.

Tough spot on the river, but I think I value check-raise this.

Wynton
05-25-2005, 11:55 AM
JR,

Is it your view that - even against this many opponents - the chances of someone else having a better flush draw is so unlikely that it should be discounted?