PDA

View Full Version : MILF and CHUMP Players - Bottomset

Sarge85
05-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Bottomset – thanks for putting on a good tournament. – I’m definitely looking forward to doing this again! –

I have a few questions for you, and those that have been playing in the tournament– mainly because you’ve inspired me to put one together for our local group of card players.

Would you change anything?

Ok, so there is only one question. As I write this, I think if I leave it open-ended it will generate some good discussion.

(I’m slightly leery of writing this post because I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes – I think it’s been a fantastic tournament, and I just need to know what adjustments I may need to make for a combination of live play and internet play)

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

itsmesteve
05-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks to bottomset indeed . .

I think the tournament has run very well, but running a live one might make me want to consider the time that some of the matches take to complete. That said, I wouldn't want to drop the starting BB too low. I think it depends on the number of players you have and the amount of time they are willing to commit to this thing. A more open ended bracket where players can move on to their next match with anyone else who has finished might help accomplish this, or single elimination.

edit: will the kegerator be done in time?

DMBFan23
05-25-2005, 11:49 AM
swiss draw with a single elimination final X ppl might work well and be a decent combination of guaranteeing a few matches, while being brief. I also might go to 30-35 BB stacks

also thanks bottomset for setting this up, you are the man

Sarge85
05-25-2005, 11:58 AM
What is Swiss Draw?

Aaron W.
05-25-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the tournament has run very well, but running a live one might make me want to consider the time that some of the matches take to complete. That said, I wouldn't want to drop the starting BB too low.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can consider increasing the blinds over time. At least this way, you can guarantee that the match will end by a certain time. If you started with 40 BB and doubled the blinds every 15 minutes (probably 20-30 hands, if you've got decent dealers), the amount of money on the table will be 80 BB at the start -> 40 BB at 15 minutes -> 20 BB at 30 minutes -> 10 BB at 45 minutes -> 5 BB at 60 minutes. I suspect most matches would end in 30 minutes under this format.

If you wanted more money at the start (and longer matches), you can start with more: 160 -> 80 -> 40 -> 20 -> 10 -> 5 (Total BB on the table). If you don't increase the blinds, I don't think you can force the game to end in a reasonable amount of time.

Sarge85
05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the tournament has run very well, but running a live one might make me want to consider the time that some of the matches take to complete. That said, I wouldn't want to drop the starting BB too low.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can consider increasing the blinds over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has definately crossed my mind.

I'm at work atm, and don't know much about P-Stars. Do they have [/i]unraked[/i] games hire than .02/.04?

I've also considred using play money tables - If there are sites that support heads up Play Money.

Aaron W.
05-25-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can consider increasing the blinds over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has definately crossed my mind.

I'm at work atm, and don't know much about P-Stars. Do they have [/i]unraked[/i] games hire than .02/.04?

I've also considred using play money tables - If there are sites that support heads up Play Money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Paradise has play money heads up tables. But you won't be able to control the blind structure if you do that (I think it's $3/6).

kenberman
05-25-2005, 12:34 PM
don't invite Milesdyson, that guy ran me over

DMBFan23
05-25-2005, 12:57 PM
maybe I named it wrong but it's where you would divide up into pools of like 4/5, and everyone plays everyone in their pool. then at the end the best 8 records (or 12, 16, whatever) advance, with some kind of tiebreaker like total time taken to dispatch opponents

Sarge85
05-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Shameless bump for the afternoon/dinner crowd

bottomset
05-26-2005, 12:09 AM
when it comes to swiss draws, its basically double elimination .. where you don't force them to stop playing .. since with 2losses you don't make top8, except in rare circumstances .. double elimination just worked easier

I would like increasing blinds, and the stars HU SNG are pretty good, in that the blinds don't go up too fast and you start fairly deepstacked .. but each match would cost 5.25 or more

I think its ran pretty well so far, the second round took longer than I would've liked, but much of that was my fault in i didn't work on the brackets over the weekend

bottomset
05-26-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe I named it wrong but it's where you would divide up into pools of like 4/5, and everyone plays everyone in their pool. then at the end the best 8 records (or 12, 16, whatever) advance, with some kind of tiebreaker like total time taken to dispatch opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

this could be a good idea, since the variance in HU matches is pretty high

Sarge85
05-26-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I would like increasing blinds, and the stars HU SNG are pretty good, in that the blinds don't go up too fast and you start fairly deepstacked .. but each match would cost 5.25 or more

I think its ran pretty well so far, the second round took longer than I would've liked, but much of that was my fault in i didn't work on the brackets over the weekend

[/ QUOTE ]

Escalating blinds seem to be the best solution to controlling the length of the matches.

However – after hoping to several sites last night, I wasn’t able to find a .04/.08 table

I wonder if a way to have the “blinds escalate” would be to after an hour – each person takes half their stack off the table. Is this essentially doing the same thing as doubling the blinds?

BTW, i think the tourney has gone GREAT so far. I'm sure if you do it again, or pass it on to someone else, you'll get twice the turn out!

MrWookie47
05-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Well, this system is effectively the same as Swiss, in that after two losses, you're essentially eliminated. However, then you'll have matches with one player still in contention and one player knocked out. These matches will to often be free wins for the player still in contention, either by forfeits or someone not all that interested in the outcome. I think either a Swiss or double elim is fine for next time. Swiss might be easier to handle with a larger number of entrants (or a number that isn't a power of 2), but this treatment of double elim has been good.

Nfinity
05-26-2005, 12:05 PM
As the main advocator for the Swiss format, I don't think it's right for the way this tourney has to play out.

It's the best in a theoretical sense, everybody gets as much practice as they want, which is of course the reason we have this thing, to learn.

But with lack of active tables at all times, and having to correlate your schedule to an opponent a million miles away, who may or may not read your PMs until after your able to play, double elim. is best play. Like bottomset said, it's basically the same anyway.

I would still play Swiss,though, and organize the damn thing as well.

MrWookie47
05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Umm, don't you still have to correlate your schedule with someone thousands of miles away even with our double elim system?

SCfuji
06-18-2005, 09:30 PM
blump blump