PDA

View Full Version : K's on the button

otter
05-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Here's one that's been driving me crazy for weeks. I'm on the button w/ K's in the 400 max buyin game (5-10 blinds). There are 1 or 2 limpers and I make it $40 to go. I have a tight table image. The SB hasn't played many hands in an hour and he pops it to $100. I had about $500-700 in front of me at the time if I remember right and the SB had me covered. The other guy has around $350 left. What's your play when a perceived tight player raises another player at the table who has a tight image and he reraises out of the SB. On top of that an EP calls. I put the blind on A's or Q's since I had K's. I wasn't sure about the cold caller.

These games are a bit different than I usually play. I generally play w/ the same players and have put in over 1500 hours w/ them. This is the first "poker trip" I have taken. If I see this at home and given my image I can often determine quite accurately if they have A's or not based on past play w/ them. Since I only have a little knowledge of this new player it's hard to say what hands he'd do that w/ and it's hard to say what ANY new player might reraise out of the blind but I would have to figure A's, K's or Q's, no? Is it best to just push in your stack and if you run into A's then so be it? Should I have reraised? If I did I couldn't see getting called by anything but A's and I would surely be pot committed on the flop if I didn't push preflop. I decided to call and see how things played out on the flop.

The flop came Q high w/ a flush draw if I remember correctly. He lead out for $100 and the cold caller pushed all in for $350. OK now I'm concerned-VERY concerned. I put the SB on A's or Q's and a Q came out. On top of that a guy goes all in when a Q comes on the flop. Now the all in player could have A,Q, or a Q w/ a flush draw or a set for that matter. If I call I'm still worried about the SB. Did he have A's or Q's? If I flopped a set of Q's I might lead out for $100-200 seeing if anyone wanted to play back.

I took some time to think about it and I decided to fold-yes fold. The SB thought for a long time and now I realized that I should have called. I peeked over and he showed JACKS!!! You could see the steam coming out of my ears. He decided to call and the all in player had just a Q, maybe A,Q or K,Q, I don't recall.

What do you think? How bad was my play preflop and on the flop? Comments, critiques are very much welcome.

yvesaint
05-25-2005, 12:53 PM
You sound like you're playing really weak-tight. What if the flop came J-high? Are you going to suspect that one of them DEFINITELY has a set of Jacks? AQ with nut flush draw is very possible, and pre-flop, it wouldn't be hard to put SB on AKs. Stop playing scared poker if you're going to fold every overpair and maybe even AA if a K-high flop comes (because come on, if he calls your raise pre-flop, he's GOT to have KK).

ahnuld
05-25-2005, 01:26 PM
If this was the internet 5-10 game, I like your line. But since its a live game, where people are much looser than online, I woulda just pushed preflop (or make a reraise.) You only run into AA vs KK one time in 20 when you have KK. But given your line, a fold on the flop isnt too bad given the acton in front of you. I probably woulda folded too given the action. Not a bad play post flop at all.