PDA

View Full Version : A hand I witnessed

PokerBob
05-25-2005, 10:00 AM
I would like to hear some opinions on this one. Canterbury Park 15/30. BB is loose, aggressive and IMO bad. MP is 30-ish, snobby yuppie prick who understands the game, but not as much as he thinks IMO. Likes to talk a lot and let old dude to his left sweat his action. Old dude is a TAG lifer with a Foxwoods hat on. From what I have seen of his play, he is quite solid. The hand:

One guy limps, Yuppie limps, Old dude (CO) raises, sb folds, BB and limpers call.

4 to the flop for 8.67SB
K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif

LAGtard bets, limper folds, yuppie calls, old dude raises, BB calls, yuppie calls.

Turn (6.33 BB) (3 players) T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
LAGtard donk bets, Yuppie proceeds to hem and haw and take 3 minutes to decide and wonder aloud "what could you be betting???", (which tilts the Asian guy on my left "This month, geez!!!") shows his AK to the dealer and mucks. After the hand, someone asks why he didn't raise pre-flop and yuppie says, "well, I've got to vary my play, right?"

Thoughts? Is this move with AK clever or idiotic? It clearly didn't work here, but is there some merit to this?

My feeling is that he butchered this hand by (a) not re-raising pf and (b) not raising the flop.

YoureToast
05-25-2005, 10:56 AM
I think yuppie is right....and I've wondered if you just call AK from time to time, especially in a tight tough game where opponents would never put you on AK if you limp, it might be a good idea. This would be particularly useful in a game where a LAG is to you left, because of the liklihood of him doing your raising for you.

GreywolfNYC
05-25-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts? Is this move with AK clever or idiotic? It clearly didn't work here, but is there some merit to this?

My feeling is that he butchered this hand by (a) not re-raising pf and (b) not raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on both counts. He butchered it.

PokerBob
05-25-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think yuppie is right....and I've wondered if you just call AK from time to time, especially in a tight tough game where opponents would never put you on AK if you limp, it might be a good idea. This would be particularly useful in a game where a LAG is to you left, because of the liklihood of him doing your raising for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but what I don't get is why not 3-bet pf, when you have trapped players with inferior hands?

flawless_victory
05-25-2005, 12:00 PM
not raising PF is just plain stupid. postflop is actually pretty tough... i think he played it ok.

PokerBob
05-25-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not raising PF is just plain stupid. postflop is actually pretty tough... i think he played it ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I kept thinking, "This hand plays 1,000 times more easily if you raise pf."

Clarkmeister
05-25-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yuppie .... shows his AK

[/ QUOTE ]

This was his biggest mistake in the hand.

dogmeat
05-25-2005, 02:18 PM
I understand varying your play, and maybe limping once a day with the AK, but after it is raised by the player on my left, I have to reraise. On the flop, I raise the LAG and see what happens..........

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

sfer
05-26-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think yuppie is right....and I've wondered if you just call AK from time to time, especially in a tight tough game where opponents would never put you on AK if you limp, it might be a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that a good player would view another good player openlimping in EP in a tough game with a lot of suspicion.