PDA

View Full Version : 50$ NL -> Flop Set -> Fall Behind -> Huge River Bluff

Malachii
05-25-2005, 04:46 AM
UTG+2 is a pretty good player. He likes to see a lot of flops. He has me pegged as a tight player, everytime I've come over the top of him in small pots he's folded.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($64.46)
SB ($89.12)
BB ($75.9)
UTG ($33.3)
UTG+1 ($43.5)
UTG+2 ($92.65)
Hero ($82.65)
MP2 ($21.85)
MP3 ($45.5)
CO ($58.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.50, UTG+2 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50.

Flop: ($5.25) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, CO folds, Button folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls $3.

Turn: ($15.25) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

<font color="green">At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm behind, but the stacks are pretty deep and if I fill up I can get his whole stack, so I'm calling this.</font>

River: ($35.25) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $66.65 (All-In)</font>,

<font color="green">Like or dislike? Think about the size of the bet on the river before answering. What range of hands does he push this hard on a 4 flush board?</font>

octop
05-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Raise the flop morepop it to 10 or so that board is disgustingly coordinated for a set.
I doubt you have much equity on the river since youre basically miniraising him and he has great odds to call.

Malachii
05-25-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you have much equity on the river since youre basically miniraising him and he has great odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, he's got great odds to call. The question is, what hand pushes this river after you've already shown a ton of strength? And you're right about the flop. I should've raised more.

octop
05-25-2005, 05:14 AM
Almost no hand folds that you beat
I really doubt this guy has a really low flush
I think you have to let this one go

JaBlue
05-25-2005, 07:11 AM
you need to raise much more on the flop, pop it to 10$ straight.

Also, what are you representing? The only way for you to have the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif here is if you have the made flush with A/images/graemlins/heart.gifx /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the turn. Its a gutsy bluff but not a good one. You just don't have enough behind to be effective here.

DoomSlice
05-25-2005, 07:31 AM
I agree with you that you're behind, but I think you're behind a straight, and not a flush, and the river bet forces him to lay that down... something like J9s.

It just seems so strange that he's going to open for 2/3 pot when he hits a flush... doesn't that just scream "I want you to think I have a flush"?

And then the river is a desperation bluff (full pot on a 4 flush board???) This guy either has no flush, or an ace high flush... take yer pick!

(I still don't like it by the way, I've called someone who did the same thing to me with an 8 high flush and beat 2 pair... it's just too easy to call.)

Malachii
05-25-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you that you're behind, but I think you're behind a straight, and not a flush, and the river bet forces him to lay that down... something like J9s.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was my thinking at the time as well.

[ QUOTE ]
And then the river is a desperation bluff (full pot on a 4 flush board???) This guy either has no flush, or an ace high flush... take yer pick!

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly my line of thought. The full pot bet on the end just felt wrong to me. If he had the ace of hearts, I would expect him to bet somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2 to 2/3rds of the pot. If he had a high heart, but not the ace, I would expect him to check/call to induce a bluff. The large bet just felt like he was trying to represent strength a little too hard to me, which I interpreted as weakness.

[ QUOTE ]
(I still don't like it by the way, I've called someone who did the same thing to me with an 8 high flush and beat 2 pair... it's just too easy to call.)

[/ QUOTE ]
The stack size is a problem. If I had a deeper stack, would you approve of the play?

Malachii
05-25-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you need to raise much more on the flop, pop it to 10$ straight.

[/ QUOTE ] Agreed. Bad play on my part.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what are you representing? The only way for you to have the A here is if you have the made flush with Ax on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
The way I played the hand, the made flush is a possibility. I was pretty sure he didn't have the ace of hearts after the size of his river bet, and I didn't see him calling me with anything less than the queen or jack of hearts. After all, reraising that big river bet should demonstrate a ton of strength on my part.

[ QUOTE ]
Its a gutsy bluff but not a good one. You just don't have enough behind to be effective here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Stack sizes are a problem here, you're definitely correct about that.

-Skeme-
05-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Haha, awesome thread title. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Malachii
05-26-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Haha, awesome thread title.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it's very dramatic. I think I have a future in marketing /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Malachii
05-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Anyways, he folded to my push and I took down a monster pot. Cool when it works.