PDA

View Full Version : Online Poker Legal in China?

imported_ncray
05-25-2005, 04:18 AM
I'll be studying for a month at the University of Beijing this summer, and one of my concerns was whether or not I could play online poker in China. This may seem like an absurd question, but the strict gambling laws coupled with their "national firewall" make me wonder. Any personal experiences or insight?

Thanks

tubalkain
05-25-2005, 05:15 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it carries a death sentence... everything else fun does there.

stigmata
05-25-2005, 08:21 AM
you might wanna PM imitation (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=2437974&Forum= All_Forums&Words=china&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main= 2434355&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=11132&dater ange=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype= &bodyprev=#Post2437974)

Stormwolf
05-25-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be surprised if it carries a death sentence...

[/ QUOTE ]

and your family will pay for the bullet

dan123
05-25-2005, 09:35 PM
no it isnt legal. its a communist country!

Lawrence Ng
05-26-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be surprised if it carries a death sentence... everything else fun does there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have never been to a night club in Shanghai..

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng
05-26-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck does a communist country have to do with online poker being legal or not?

Lawrence

imported_ncray
05-26-2005, 04:21 AM
Haha, I love how after 6 responses the only useful piece of advice I get is to PM another member. I'll post a followup after I get word from him for anyone else who is interested.

Gramps
05-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Apply to take extension courses in Hong Kong or Macau.

henrikrh
05-26-2005, 09:18 AM
I live in Hong Kong, so perhaps my guess would be a little less narrowminded than the previous replies simply dismissing China because it is alien to them and apparently "communist" haha.

I doubt the law is well defined, but gambling is illegal, and the general policy for cardrooms online is that the rule of the land applies. However, I doubt this would be enforced in anyway even on the off chance you are found out. Your biggest concenrn would be if you can connect through the programs on the campus networks.

Death penalty... you guys crack me up. I'm surprised no one said "Isn't Beijing the capital of Japan?"

Bluffstar
05-26-2005, 09:44 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck does a communist country have to do with online poker being legal or not?

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it would be a very improper communist country, if true capitalism deeds would be legal...

No, seriously of course you are right, why would gambling be illegal...?

Freedom on the other hand /images/graemlins/wink.gif

henrikrh
05-26-2005, 10:08 AM
China is far from a communist state though. They are capitalistic but do not have free elections or constitutional guarantee of freedoms. Rich people have power, just like America but a little more overt and controlling.

VJ_
05-26-2005, 12:38 PM
I was in Bejing a few months ago and played on UB several times - not sure if it's technically legal or not but at least they don't seem to block online poker sites. I was using dialup so it was a bit slow but playable.