PDA

View Full Version : TRIP REPORT - I Love LA: Rumblings From The Darkside, Part 1.

Zeno
05-25-2005, 02:17 AM
‘That’s Beverly Hills City Hall’, said Andy. I looked up at the Holy of Holies with meek anticipation and was presently surprised by the shinning and galling pretension oozing from every stone in the building, from the monolithic base to the mosaic and gold crown of the dome. Chauffeured down the straight grand canals of pavement along the shaky floor of the Los Angles Basin, I was enjoying this gothic tour. With Rick’s gurgling and lurching babble from the backseat a perfect background noise to the scenery, Andy interjects with quick bits of information calculated to baffle and cow the uninitiated backwoods gnome loathsomely taking up space in his offensively nice car. I think that’s what happened anyway, old men have quickly fading memories.

We meant Dude at Dodger Stadium and enjoyed the afternoon game along with beer and munchies and ice cream and talk and talk and exchange of ideas ranging from A to B and from X to Z. Perhaps there was some 2 + 2 in there also.

During the game some fan tumbled out of the stands and rumbled into left field, only to be corralled and cuffed by the efficient security forces, all to the shouts and claps of the deranged fans. Us four doing the loudest cheering. I think. It was hot and the heat may have caused neuron misfiring in my beer soaked brain.

Previous in time to the narrative just thrust upon my readers in such a blatant fashion, I spent a full day crawling about the Getty Museum of Natural Money. It cost only seven dollars for parking. No other entrance fees were asked of me. This monument to conspicuous capitalism occupies a hillock close to everything, the ocean, freeways, smog, gardens, and views of east, west, south and this and that and cacti and the whitish stone architecture of the buildings themselves (the outside stone is travertine, in case anyone is interested).

Inside the buildings art was flung about, it hung on the walls, it occupied floor space, it loomed on pedestals, it blocked hallways and generally created a nuisance to anyone trying to navigate though the interior. I would think that art could be employed for something more useful, but apparently no one has come up with anything better to do with this stuff. Since this brutal and incoherent form of art presentation blocked my pathway and eyesight, I was forced to look at it. Some of it was square looking and some of it was rectangular and some was round and lumpy and some was shinning and some was colorful but in a mundane and uninteresting sort of way. There was some furniture in the buildings also but usually behind ropes so you couldn’t sit on or touch anything – how very odd. When I finished going about the place, I ate some food and saw some flowers and also a few sickly birds fluttered about, looking for a place to die I suppose, and then I left.

What would you expect for seven dollars anyway?

-Zeno

Part 2 tomorrow.

Phat Mack
05-25-2005, 02:55 AM
I think you may have found Home.

Michael Davis
05-25-2005, 03:01 AM
Please write a novel. Even just a series of your observations would be better than Salinger and I think you can probably do even better.

-Michael

Rick Nebiolo
05-25-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
‘That’s Beverly Hills City Hall’, said Andy. I looked up at the Holy of Holies with meek anticipation and was presently surprised by the shinning and galling pretension oozing from every stone in the building, from the monolithic base to the mosaic and gold crown of the dome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you notice that the police station was part of the City Hall complex and there weren't any criminal types being brought in. If fact the station looked as if business was so slow they should close on weekends to save money.

[ QUOTE ]
Chauffeured down the straight grand canals of pavement along the shaky floor of the Los Angles Basin, I was enjoying this gothic tour. With Rick’s gurgling and lurching babble from the backseat a perfect background noise to the scenery, Andy interjects with quick bits of information calculated to baffle and cow the uninitiated backwoods gnome loathsomely taking up space in his offensively nice car. I think that’s what happened anyway, old men have quickly fading memories.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what happened but I don't remember gurgling and I was trying to limit myself to no more than 1/3 of the conversation, although my 1/3 was certainly babble. BTW, Andy's car isn't offensively nice, it's just very nice period. My car is offensive, but not nice.

For me the high point in the trip on Sixth Street was when Andy pointed out the first drive through convenience store.

[ QUOTE ]
We meant Dude at Dodger Stadium and enjoyed the afternoon game along with beer and munchies and ice cream and talk and talk and exchange of ideas ranging from A to B and from X to Z. Perhaps there was some 2 + 2 in there also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was amazed that it was said to be a sellout crowd but the seats seemed to be at best only 60% occupied. That wouldn't happen in Boston and it does get almost as hot and far more humid.

[ QUOTE ]
During the game some fan tumbled out of the stands and rumbled into left field, only to be corralled and cuffed by the efficient security forces, all to the shouts and claps of the deranged fans. Us four doing the loudest cheering. I think. It was hot and the heat may have caused neuron misfiring in my beer soaked brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took about twenty security types to get him under control. That is not efficient.

[ QUOTE ]
Previous in time to the narrative just thrust upon my readers in such a blatant fashion, I spent a full day crawling about the Getty Museum of Natural Money. It cost only seven dollars for parking. No other entrance fees were asked of me. This monument to conspicuous capitalism occupies a hillock close to everything, the ocean, freeways, smog, gardens, and views of east, west, south and this and that and cacti and the whitish stone architecture of the buildings themselves (the outside stone is travertine, in case anyone is interested).

Inside the buildings art was flung about, it hung on the walls, it occupied floor space, it loomed on pedestals, it blocked hallways and generally created a nuisance to anyone trying to navigate though the interior. I would think that art could be employed for something more useful, but apparently no one has come up with anything better to do with this stuff. Since this brutal and incoherent form of art presentation blocked my pathway and eyesight, I was forced to look at it. Some of it was square looking and some of it was rectangular and some was round and lumpy and some was shinning and some was colorful but in a mundane and uninteresting sort of way. There was some furniture in the buildings also but usually behind ropes so you couldn’t sit on or touch anything – how very odd. When I finished going about the place, I ate some food and saw some flowers and also a few sickly birds fluttered about, looking for a place to die I suppose, and then I left.

What would you expect for seven dollars anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so out of touch with all things cultural that I didn't realize admission is free and the main cost is parking. Do they have water fountains or do they try to make up for the free admission by charging twenty bucks or so for a burger and soda?

Also, if you know less than nothing about art (e.g., I've owned two tapastries of "Card Playing Dogs" and that was before I played poker) is it worth a trip? Assume I wouldn't be going to meet chicks since I'm already involved.

[ QUOTE ]
Part 2 tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking forward to it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

~ Rick

mike l.
05-25-2005, 05:32 AM
"his offensively nice car"

amazing. i want to meet you and listen to you talk.

turnipmonster
05-25-2005, 12:22 PM
nice report. my wife and I were in LA for a few days before starting our honeymoon and the highlights were definitely the getty museum and matsuhisa. I couldn't believe the getty museum was free (except for parking of course).

rick, the food at the getty is not bad (our food was kind of bland) and not too expensive, lunch for two was < $20. I think the stands gouge you though.

matsuhisa however was one of the better meals I've had.

andyfox
05-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I had been awaiting eagerly your promised trip report, but not even my wildest expectations prepared me for this delight from our resident Mark Twain. Splendid writing. I'm jealous.

Two things to be particularly thankful for:

1) this sentence: "With Rick’s gurgling and lurching babble from the backseat a perfect background noise to the scenery, Andy interjects with quick bits of information calculated to baffle and cow the uninitiated backwoods gnome loathsomely taking up space in his offensively nice car."

2) No mention of the "armed response" sign. But I hold my breath pending the appearance of part two.

Andy

LittleOldLady
05-25-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had been awaiting eagerly your promised trip report, but not even my wildest expectations prepared me for this delight from our resident Mark Twain. Splendid writing. I'm jealous.

Two things to be particularly thankful for:

1) this sentence: "With Rick’s gurgling and lurching babble from the backseat a perfect background noise to the scenery, Andy interjects with quick bits of information calculated to baffle and cow the uninitiated backwoods gnome loathsomely taking up space in his offensively nice car."

2) No mention of the "armed response" sign. But I hold my breath pending the appearance of part two.

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm envious. Maybe one of these days (after I move to Vegas), Andy can take me on a tour of LA, and I'll get to write a trip report too. (I'm not too shabby in the writing department.) It could happen....

LOL