PDA

View Full Version : 5-6s on the Button... good raise or not??

golferbrent
05-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Playing in my typical 15/30 game and the game has become very loose passive. Lots of hands are being contested 6-7 sometimes even 8 way action. The game is really good if you can make a hand. Many times I have seen an UTG raise called in 4 spots before the blinds come along.

To the hand in question:

We are playing eight handed:
UTG limps, UTG+1 limps as does UTG+2 and so does MP2... and then folded to me on the button. I look down and see 5-6s and knowing full well that the blinds will come along for anything... I raise to build a nice volume pot hoping to take down a big pot.

Is this a bad raise? Or is it a good raise building a pot with a hand that no one will expect me to have?

Also, what other types of hands would you put in a raise here with... knowing you are not going to limit the players. I mean only 1 player folded pre-flop.

haakee
05-25-2005, 04:42 AM
I prefer limping here, although with 98s I think you should raise most of the time. Against more astute opponents you should raise here with 65s occasionally, but infrequently.

Senor Choppy
05-25-2005, 05:15 AM
Nothing good ever comes of these whenever I raise, but I like the idea of pissing off all the people limping with garbage, so WTF?

If nothing else, it's good cover for legitimate hands.