PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Mr.Schoonmaker

DOTTT
05-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Great article, eagerly waiting part 2.

DDC67
05-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Dr. Schoonmaker, I read your article with interest and can clearly relate to some of your points on a personal level. My questions is this:
I'm a new poker player and have been playing, studying and learning since October of 2004. I admit that I have been spending ALOT of time to become the best poker player that I can be. Where do you draw the line between obsession and trying to speed up the learning curve to reach the desired level of play? Generally speaking, is there a point (time wise) that you cross the line and enter the danger zone? I personally view the amount of time and energy I've been putting into my endeavor as paying my dues.
The amount of time spent is my bigest problem, on average of 20-30 hours a week. I am in my mid 30's and have a career that I still enjoy. I'm not losing money or have any real interest in other forms of gambling. I hope I provided enough information for you and others reading this post to answer my basic question.
Again, thank you for opening my eyes to the potential danger of taking poker to seriously.

Dave

Al Schoonmaker
05-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Other things being equal, I would not regard 20-30 hours per week as a sure sign of an obsession. I added that qualifier because time is not the only or even the most important issue.

If you are doing your job, relating well to people, and not letting your moods and self-concept depend too heavily on your poker, I don't see a major problem.

Although you're past college days, you might read revot33's thread on the Psychology Forum about college students who drop out or ruin their education. Revot's post and some of the replies relate directly to your question.

Regards,

Al

DDC67
05-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Al,
Thank you for your response to my question. I appreciate the time.

Dave

MicroBob
06-25-2005, 04:13 PM
There was an earlier thread touting his May article as his best one yet but I really enjoyed his June article.

His general ideas that some of the younger players out there will be more likely to indulge in excesses and get themselves into unhealthy patterns is spot on.

The guy who lost his girl due to poker REALLY broke my heart.

I've often wondered if I have addictive problems with poker. Afterall, I do enjoy it...think about it....and play it for a living.
Was thinking about a hand I played while I was driving the other day for example.

But I also know that if I had a million dollars and didn't HAVE to play for income I wouldn't play nearly so much (probably occasional online-play mixed in with some fun, big tourneys such as WSOP and Aruba, etc).

In fact, even though I am making my income by doing this I am not playing as much as I should be.

I can see how it would be possible to blow-off other things (such as one's significant other) to play poker.
Thankfully, this is a trap that doesn't even occur to me.

If my GF is going to be free at some point that evening then I will neglect to play in tournaments that might take too long and will just play ring-games or read 2+2.

I just don't have the inclination to blow her off, or anything else for that matter, in favor of poker.

It has long been my stance that an online-poker pro can easily live a MORE balanced life if one were to put their mind to it.
A parent like David Ross can spend MORE time with their kids and wife.
A guy with a GF who has inconsistent work-hours (she's a nurse at a hospital) can spend more time with her when SHE is available.
I have more time for exercise and other such things IF I put my mind to it. I have been able to play in a recreational soccer league for the past year or so which is something I NEVER would have had time for in the past.

I can also take my job with me wherever I go. So I can take a mini-vacation or family visit and don't need to leave my 'job' behind.
I can also take it to an internet-coffee place to get out of the house more often (I'm at a coffee-place right now actually).

My social-life isn't quite what I would like it to be...but it was a bit lacking before I even knew how to play poker so I'm not sure that's really to blame very much.

Obviously it's easy to fall into an unhealthy, addictive trap just chained to one's computer in their apartment.
Shutting away friends and family and NOT getting off the computer. Sounds pretty miserable and frightening if you ask me.

But IF one FOCUSES on maintaining a somewhat healthy lifestyle playing online-poker doesn't HAVE to be such a bad thing.
Obviously there are several out there who let poker get the better of them and fell into some REALLY unhealthy patterns.

Al Schoonmaker
06-26-2005, 11:48 PM
You wrote: "It has long been my stance that an online-poker pro can easily live a MORE balanced life if one were to put their mind to it."

You then gave several excellent examples of living a balanced life BECAUSE playing online gives you more flexibility. I wholeheartedly agree.

The critical problem is the one you identified: "if one were to put their mind to it."

Alas, some people don't really try to balance their lives.

I'll have more to say about this issue in future articles.

Thanks for your own and other people's kind words.

Regards,

Al