PDA

View Full Version : Posting the Blind when you sit down

closer2313
05-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Is it better to wait till you are in the big blind to post it, or should you just post the big blind when you sit down for the first time?

This is for limit hold em ring games.

Thanks!

SheridanCat
05-24-2005, 11:08 PM
It's best to either post in the big blind or to let the button pass and post in the cutoff.

Otherwise, you're posting money out of position with no advantage.

Regards,

T

closer2313
05-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Thank you!

Project 2501
05-25-2005, 09:52 AM
do other players in a live game ever get upset that you fill a chair only to possibly sit out for 8 hands in a row? i've never played live and always wondered. online i always wait until the bb comes around to me.

iNsChris
05-25-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
or to let the button pass and post in the cutoff.

Otherwise, you're posting money out of position with no advantage.

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]
Never thought of this, Cheers - Usually wait even at .05/.10 because im tight haha

SheridanCat
05-25-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do other players in a live game ever get upset that you fill a chair only to possibly sit out for 8 hands in a row? i've never played live and always wondered. online i always wait until the bb comes around to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you'll never get any guff about waiting. It's accepted procedure playing live.

If you sit down and you're in the cutoff, you should go ahead and post there. Obviously, if you sit down in between the SB & Button, you should wait until the cutoff*. If you sit down anywhere else you can wait for the BB or the cutoff.

In fact, if you post in another position, you may be branded as an inexperienced player and invite people to take shots at you.

Regards,

T

*DANGER, RULES TRIVIA FOLLOWS

There is the concept of "buying the button". This usually confuses the hell out of people, and some card rooms don't allow it. Here's how it works.

You sit down in the chair between the player that would be the SB and the button player. Some rooms allow you to buy the button. You do this by paying the small blind and the big blind. The player who would have been small and big don't post anything. Your small blind is dead, but your big blind is just a normal big blind with you acting last preflop.

On the next hand you get the button. Normally, if you hadn't posted, the button would have passed you. But since you bought it, you have the button now and the players post their blinds normally.

The reason this is confusing for some players is that on the hand before you bought the button the guy to your left paid his blind. Now, you're buying the button and he doesn't have to post. But the next hand he does have to post. For some reason this tends to throw people off. It also can make you look like you know what you're doing - which may not be what you're going for.

Last I knew Bellagio and Mirage allow it. If you want to know if a room does or does not, ask the dealer.

Whether there is an advantage to this play, I'm not sure. I think posting dead money out of position probably makes it a bad move, but I'm not sure. I've done it just to see how other players react - mostly for fun.

Dave H.
06-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Just to expand a bit on others' responses...

I don't have the link, but one of the probability geniuses posted a proof several months ago which showed that posting at the Cutoff position or the Button is +EV and that posting at any other position is -EV. I thought that was true intuitively, but never could have proved it. The proof cemented it in my mind.

Brain
06-03-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's no big deal. I'll post in the cutoff or hijack and if I end up coming to the game in early or middle position, I'll just take a walk to the water fountain and come back when it's my big blind.

webgator
06-05-2005, 01:54 AM
I usually wait for the big blind unless I sit down right after the button passes me..then I post.

Hedge Henderson
06-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Like the other posters said, I prefer posting in the CO if I can get it, but I usually post in the BB. The texture of online games changes so rapidly that waiting a few hands can turn your great table into a mediocre one. Very occasionally, if a game is really crazy, I'll bite the bullet and post in LP, say two off the button. I've seen 10-handed raise-fests go to 5-handed rock gardens in the time it takes for the BB to get to me.

This could be a leak, but when I see everyone going nuts with pocket 3s and J4 suited, that one extra free hand sometimes isn't worth waiting for to me.

Siingo
06-06-2005, 10:33 AM
I do like he do. Except if it is 6-handed then I always wait for the BB...