PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts would be appreciated...

SuburbanPokerMan
12-12-2002, 02:42 PM
I was in a four table no limit tournament in Chicago and the following hand took place. The buy in was $150 no rebuys, each player starts with 5,000 in chips. The blinds start at 25/50 and double every twenty minutes. They only pay the top three positions 70/20/10%. Now there's no doubt the way I played this hand was poor. So I'll tell you how I played it and then suggest what I think I should have done and then I would really like your slant on it.

I was in the big blind with about 9,000 in chips. The blinds were 300/600 no antes also there were still three tables of players. About six to seven people see the flop no pre-flop raise. I'm holding KQ double suited. The flop comes Qxx two x diamonds /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . I bet out 1500 and get only one caller. The turn is the third diamond /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif , I check, he checks. The river is nothing I check again and he makes a bet that puts me all in. My emotions took over and even though I was pretty sure he had the diamonds, I called anyway. It was an out of body experience. Of course he wins with a Jx of diamonds.

For sure I made a bad call on the river, after thinking about it I think I should have gone all in after the flop, because I was sure I had the best hand at that moment. I also knew I couldn't let someone draw to the flush for free but maybe the 1500 bet was to small. Or could I have made a big raise pre-flop because I was sure I had the best hand going in because everyone limped. They never limped when they had any kind of a premium hand. Maybe pre-flop I could have picked up a nice pot of limper chips.

SPM,...never in the money, always just an also ran...

Greg (FossilMan)
12-12-2002, 04:26 PM
6 or 7 limpers to your BB means there was well over T4000 by the time it got back to you. If you are pretty sure all will fold, then raising all-in is fine.

The T1500 bet on the flop is probably a mistake. The caller is getting about 4:1 on the call, plus can win almost 5:1 more (total implied odds about 9:1). This is an easy call for any flush draw. With the pot at 4-5K, I would most often check or bet all-in, and probably bet all-in at this point, unless there was reason to think I might not have the best hand. If Jx of diamonds calls T9000 and gets there, so be it.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)