PDA

View Full Version : 5 card O8

DeadMoneyOC
05-24-2005, 09:40 PM
What adjustments should I be making? I might be playing this game this saturday and I am woundering if I should. I know there is going to be a lot of action and drawing to only nut hands is probably going to be the only way to play. I will probably get thirded with A2. Has anyone ever played with 5 cards?

GooperMC
05-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Never played but what you are saying sounds right. All non nut 2 way hands are going go down in value. There are going to be fewer times where the is a low on board and nobody has it, there are going to be fewer times that someone doesn't have the nuts for the high, there are going to be fewer times that someone doesn't have A2 (even if you already have it).

Just curious, how many players are sitting per table? 9?

Ironman
05-25-2005, 01:33 PM
I seem to remember a post on this game...maybe something you can find by going through "Buzz's" posts. I'm drawing a blank though, but I think he rsponded to it.

Dave

Ribbo
05-25-2005, 08:01 PM
5 Card Omaha is a popular game over here in England. All I would say is, if the board is 23568 be prepared to fold A47. I once managed such a feat and was correct to do so. My opponent had A2479. Suited Aces plus low wraps is the way forward.

DeadMoneyOC
05-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Thats kinda what my general feeling is. Am I going to be quartered everytime I have A2? Is a hand like A2T7 even playable from early position? I also kinda get the feeling having suited Aces with big cards make the value of you hand increase a little. Basically the value of the high will go up a lot? If I have a naked A2 draw with no high potential is it even worth it in a multi way pot where this is likely going to be some jamming? I dont know if I am completely ready for this game yet. I might just watch this weekend(I know this old guy who plays every sat and would let me sit behind him) when I go play cards and then play next weekend.

McSock
05-25-2005, 10:27 PM
My local B&M spreads 5 card O/8. The given name here is Big O. In the 3/6 game it is 9 handed. So only time you get 5 cards is when someone is away from the table. This is about 30% of the time. The 6/12 game is always 8 handed and the players always get 5 cards. Counterfeit protection is very important. Straights are not near as valuable. Normally whatever the board shows someone has it. Paired board 75% someone will have a full house. 3 cards to a wheel, you will be lucky to have less than 2 wheels and most likely someone holding a 6 high straight. I personally do not like the game near as well as classic 4 card Omaha H/L. The game seems to be more for “pure gamblers” and less for grinder type numbers players.