PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb tipping question

miajag81
05-24-2005, 09:32 PM
What, if anything, is the standard tip when you pick up carry-out from a restaurant? Not like Subway or something, I mean "real" restaurants that offer carry-out. I am a generous tipper when I am eating in, and when food is delivered to me, but I never tip when picking up carry-out. Is this wrong?

Klepton
05-24-2005, 09:36 PM
i tip like 5-10 percent, but seriously i don't think you need to

kerssens
05-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Its worse when you pay with debit and theres the tip line you have to fill out. If I put zero it feels a bit strange.

BusterStacks
05-24-2005, 09:39 PM
As with every tipping situation, it depends 100% on what you receive beyond what you are paying for. i.e. - how friendly the person who hands you your food is.

daryn
05-24-2005, 09:40 PM
zero.

OCCASIONALLY if the girl is cute and i get a leftover buck or something i will drop it in the tip cup.

anyone who tips when picking up an order from a restaurant should basically tip everyone for everything, e.g. mcdonalds cashier.

miajag81
05-24-2005, 09:42 PM
That's just it - when I pick up carry-out, I don't think I'm getting "more" that what I paid for. When I'm eating at a restaurant or getting delivery, someone is bringing me my food and I tip accordingly. Are you saying I should tip the guy who hands me my food over the cash register just because he's smiling at me as he does so?

DemonDeac
05-24-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its worse when you pay with debit and theres the tip line you have to fill out. If I put zero it feels a bit strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can say that again
feels very weird

Eurotrash
05-24-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
zero.

OCCASIONALLY if the girl is cute and i get a leftover buck or something i will drop it in the tip cup.

anyone who tips when picking up an order from a restaurant should basically tip everyone for everything, e.g. mcdonalds cashier.

[/ QUOTE ]

where is that "daryn is right" guy when you need him?

gorie
05-24-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

where is that "daryn is right" guy when you need him?

[/ QUOTE ]
you sure he is not in your chair ?

daryn
05-24-2005, 10:18 PM
i wish it was me, i'd post asap

OtisTheMarsupial
05-24-2005, 11:46 PM
a couple bucks.

GuyOnTilt
05-24-2005, 11:59 PM
I don't see the need to tip. If I'm paying with a card, I wouldn't. If I'm paying cash and the person was exceptionally nice or prompt or friendly or cute, I'd just leave whatever change and singles they gave back to me.

GoT

BusterStacks
05-24-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's just it - when I pick up carry-out, I don't think I'm getting "more" that what I paid for. When I'm eating at a restaurant or getting delivery, someone is bringing me my food and I tip accordingly. Are you saying I should tip the guy who hands me my food over the cash register just because he's smiling at me as he does so?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying anything, tipping is completely dependant on your own discretion. I personally have no problem with tipping nothing, or 50%. It just depends.

dabluebery
05-25-2005, 01:12 AM
This is one of those amusing situations in life that you can really get some mileage out of. I'm very direct and blunt, and everyone hates me for it.

So if I pick up dinner at Outback, and the chick is ringing me up, I say to her "Should I tip you?" or "How much should I tip you?"

When the girl says "I don't know, it's really up to you, it depends on the service you get and everyone is different," that means no tip or just a buck or whatever. If the girl says "Yeah, give me a dollar or two," then that means at least 20%, automatically, for them doing basically nothing.

Did I mention that my wife hates my guts, and she's constantly embarrassed by everything I do / say? It's quite liberating.

Rob

New001
05-25-2005, 01:21 AM
Maybe this is obvious, but don't even fill out either line if you aren't going to tip. Just sign at the bottom and they'll just use the charge that was printed.

I don't tip carry-out unless it's like 24 cents and they have a tip jar. Either way, they're not getting any quarters or better.

Dex
05-25-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is obvious, but don't even fill out either line if you aren't going to tip. Just sign at the bottom and they'll fill in whatever tip they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

Dex
05-25-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What, if anything, is the standard tip when you pick up carry-out from a restaurant?

[/ QUOTE ]

dabluebery
05-25-2005, 08:32 AM
This is basically true. Very often someone will modify a check from say...... $63 to $68, or add a few bucks here or there. I've had this happen a bunch of times.

Homer
05-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Tip = $0.00

EDIT - Well, I'd tip if the person was ugly, to counter all the over-tipping of lazy, but attractive people.

RunDownHouse
05-25-2005, 08:44 AM
I get angry when I see non-restaurant places print out one of those receipts with a tip line. I'm sorry, but I refuse to tip the cashier at Footlocker or whatever. I just put a big line through that space.