PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Phil Episode on “Moochers” highlights losing Poker player

gergery
05-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Did anyone see the Dr. Phil episode on “Moochers”. Apparently, it highlights a poker player who quit his job to play full-time and ran thru their savings. They are now mooching off of poker player’s mother-in-law.

My wife Tivo’d it and we now have a “date” to watch it. OOOh, I can’t wait. So I’m looking for any heads up info before I get to defend my little poker addiction. (No, honey, it’s like Samantha Bee said on the daily show….)

--Greg

Dynasty
05-24-2005, 07:55 PM
If you keep records and have won money, show your lady the records.

wuwei
05-24-2005, 08:04 PM
My wife saw part of this and mentioned it to me. She enjoyed the contrast between how this guy approaches poker and how I've handled things. Apparently the guy just decided that being a professional poker player was for him, so he quit his job and started playing substantial stakes in an attempt to learn. He lost 10k + I think? His response was "you're going to have to lose money in order to learn." In addition, he has no income or insurance and his wife is sick (MS?).

The easy response is only a jackass jumps into high stakes before he knows how to play. You paid your dues at low stakes, and now you're a profitable player. Then take some money out of your bankroll, convert it into $5 bills, and ask her if she wants to have sex on a pile of money you made off your little addiction.

ttleistdci
05-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Dynasty had a good suggestion. If she's still not convinced, take it one step further and take a piece of your BR and take her on a weekend vacation. Make sure she knows she's on vacation courtesy of you playing poker. That might change her tune.

youtalkfunny
05-25-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Make sure she knows she's on vacation courtesy of you playing poker. That might change her tune.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife used to give me a hard time about it, until I won a pair of cruise tickets in a poker tourney.

Then, she turned into Mrs Raymer. "Honey, why don't you go out and play poker today?"

Yeknom58
05-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Just because you're a winner doesn't mean poker isn't a problem.

ttleistdci
05-25-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Make sure she knows she's on vacation courtesy of you playing poker. That might change her tune.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife used to give me a hard time about it, until I won a pair of cruise tickets in a poker tourney.

Then, she turned into Mrs Raymer. "Honey, why don't you go out and play poker today?"

[/ QUOTE ]

You are my hero.
That's one of my goals for this year. It will happen!

Smackdab
05-25-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just because you're a winner doesn't mean poker isn't a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted something similar but a little wordier a couple months ago in Internet Gambling.

Lesser of many evils (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=2247799&Forum= ,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=224 0830&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=942&daterange= 1&newerval=3&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&body prev=#Post2247799)