PDA

View Full Version : Fishing reel recommendations

Cubswin
05-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Actually... im looking for a ultra lite rod and spinning real combo to replace my older one which will be used by my old man this year on our NW ontario fishing trip. Id like a 4.5 ft rod and a reel made for 2-6 pound test. Id like the reel to have the quick trigger/autocast feature... whatever its called these days. Like in this picture:

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/73000/73054.jpg

It seems this feature was on every reel a few years ago and now it seems its on none... anyone have any suggestions for a decent one under $50???

thanks
cubs

Ray Zee
05-24-2005, 07:41 PM
diawa and shimano make good ones. try cabelas. but the real small ones dont have the triggers. i dont see the benefit of them as flipping the bail is easy.

Cubswin
05-24-2005, 07:47 PM
For some reason i knew you would be the first to reply. There arnt too many options at cabelas or bass pro shop. The Shimano FX line of reels all used to have this option... not anymore though. As for the benefit... when you are holding a cold one the trigger makes casting so much easier.

cubs

jakethebake
05-24-2005, 08:14 PM
I've had a Shimano Lew's Speed Spool for almost 30 years. I actually hooked this reel that someone had dropped in the Bay when I was a kid. It was like an $80 reel at the time. I spent $6 cleaning it up and putting new line on and have loved it ever since. They still make this model I believe, but I don't know how the newer ones compare.