PDA

View Full Version : First Big Table Experience Analysis Comments Please

ryachris
05-24-2005, 04:49 PM
I sat down at the NL $500 Minimum at Sandia in Albuquerque Last week with $1k. About an hour in to the play Im up to approximately $1300 Playing very tight, no one has seen my cards yet

full Table, and I had been playing with the same guys all weekend off and on, (they hadn't left yet, 40+ hours straight, same clothes etc.) Lou Diamond Phillips on my right (just a fun aside) and probably $35k - $45k on the table half of it in 3 players stacks.

I have been playing pretty tight not willing to call $300 on a draw with 2 cards left etc.

Blinds 5-10 Im in MP with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif one limper I make it 200 to go. (only part I don't really like, think its to big but I am tired of getting calls on raises of $75 by half the table, and having to check fold virtually every flop that doestn't hit me extremely well to a $400 bet)

2 callers LP and CO blinds and limper fold - Main pot $625
flop 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I'm first and check, check check behind

Turn K /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I bet out $200 in to a POT OF $650, lp Calls CO makes it $500, at this point I put him on a 7 and decide to get all my money immediately. I raise virtually all in to $1k ~ $65 behind. LP fold CO thinks for a bit and Calls.

River K /images/graemlins/club.gif I ask if he filled up on me and he says he will take the rest of my money while thowing a $100 bill in to the center, I cll all in for $65 and show may ace high flush to his 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif full house. Final pot ~= $2750 my contribution ~= $1250

I think I understand the hand pretty well, I put my money in with the 77% odds of winning if I correctly read the 7. (10 outs 1-7 3-K 3-4 and 3-9's his kicker and 44 cards left in the deck), I also think I didn;t have the stack to make him really pay for his raise on the turn. He was still getting 5.5-1 on his last $500 call with in his mind 10 outs over my flushmaybe I am on AsKx? giving me only 9 outs over his trips, maybe maybe AA but not likely after the flop check, KK same story but pay me off on the unlikely hood of that. so he actually has 4.5-1 against winning with 5.5-1 pot odds, maybe he thinks he has as good as 3-1 against to win makes his call correct in my mind. If I had say an extra grand back I could have reduced his pot odds enough for him to have to put my on AK to call it.

In summation, I think I played this right, I would have been happy to get rid of my hand on the flop for more than $400 into the $625 pot against 2 players. I make smae raises checks and calls if his cards are face up the entire time. but I make the same moves he does in his position, raise the turn to see where I am and make the flush draw pay. call with pot odds on the reraise.

What should I take from this other than I read the hand right and lost a large chuck of my bank roll. Sit down with more? Was the Pf raise that bad?

Thanks

LuvDemNutz
05-24-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure what to take from this other than sheer amazement that someone will call a $200 raise from someone with only a $1300 stack in a 5-10 game, with 97o.

piki
05-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Im not sure either, but Im not going to spend time figuring it out before I buy back in

jrforman
05-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Without coming off to harsh, you need to reevaluate your game before your going to play these limits..

Raising 20BB with A/10 suited is not going to be a profitable move...What was your plan if the board was 2/5/9...Were you going to bet it or check/fold like before?

Anyways, you got a really good flop for you, so bet it...

Get it all in on the turn...

If the game was playing this loose preflop, then it only makes sense to make that big of a raise with AA or KK, otherwise limp, fold, or make a reasonable raise to 50 and take your action from there...

ryachris
05-24-2005, 06:34 PM
I agree as to the bet size in a 5-10 game, bu this game was playing much bigger, virtually every hand hand 3+ players in it for $100+ each. the blinds were just kind of there.

As for not betting the flop, I had been betting out my draws earlier but kept getting pushed around. I'd put $150 in to a $500 pot 3 handed and get a $450 raise, then the guy would show top pair etc. Maybe I don't have te roll or mentality for this table quite yet.

ryachris
05-24-2005, 06:36 PM
As for a 9 5 2 rainbow flop, My plan was to bet out $300 and fold to a push. had been working pretty well before with the very loose PF play at the table

creedofhubris
05-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Your preflop raise is ridiculously large.

You got the flop you were looking for, pot it. Be willing to go allin on the flop.

okayplayer
05-24-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise virtually all in to $1k ~ $65 behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why virtually? why didn't you put it all in?

Besides that, like everyone else said: ridiculous raise, you got the flop you wanted - try and get it in on the flop

daniel1222
05-25-2005, 12:23 AM
I've played at these tables a decent amount. The oversized raise is fine, but should be put in with queens (I will also do it w. jacks) or higher or AK.

freemoney
05-25-2005, 01:08 AM
whether or not he put 65 dollars in is irrelevant.

Alex/Mugaaz
05-25-2005, 03:22 AM
I don't play anywhere near this level but this play is absurd. If the blinds are only 5/10 and opening bets are easily 10-20bb, then why play anything but Aces, Kings, and AK? The blinds are absurdly small in relation to the average pot size. Why are you making such an insane bet with a hand as speculative as ATs?

If these people are willing to call huge bets preflop with these pitifully (in relation) sized blinds, then take advantage of their horrible mistakes by getting them to call your best holdings. Why gamble it up with crap hands, you have a huge edge on all these guys, and instead of taking it you are trading it for raising absurd amounts with hands that are unlikely to do anything but give you a headache.

I understand this strategy is boring. But the second you start playing poker for enjoyment instead of profit I fail to see how that doesn't make a person addicted to gambling.

BPPoker
05-25-2005, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What should I take from this other than I read the hand right and lost a large chuck of my bank roll. Sit down with more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play these stakes if this is "a large chunk of your BR". You took a unfortunate bad beat on the river but you need to play at a level where you can keep playing after the bad beat and it not affect your game.

aceferret
05-25-2005, 07:57 AM
I agree that the raise was to big, but ask yourself why did this guy call w 97 off? It might be because he has seen how you play and figures he can out play you after the flop with position. (not being a dick, just commenting on your raise check and fold history)

I've played in a few games like this where the blinds are meaningless, and the way to play is to try and see cheap flops w pairs and hit sets, or bet your premium hands strong. I usually win 1/3 of my money from timely bluffs, continuation bets, position plays etc. and 2/3 from having the best hand. In games like this i make 100% of my money from having the best hand. Why gamble when you can get paid off evrytime with the nuts?