PDA

View Full Version : Correct Call?

SugarPush
05-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">BB (t1815)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1785)</font>
MP (t1180)
Button (t2470)
SB (t750)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1815 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1185 (All-In).

What does everyone think about the original raise and the call? I was just pick up the blinds since they were getting pretty big.

After the BB went all in there was 2715 (300 blinds + my 600 raise + 1815 from BB) in the pot with 1185 to call. My reasoning at the time was I am getting better than 2 to 1 so I have to call given that we are five handed and he could have a pretty good variety of hands.

I guess I really have two questions:
1) Was the call correct?
2) Given that the call was correct, would it have been better to just go all in for the origninal bet?

Nathan183
05-24-2005, 03:30 PM
If you're ever in a situation where you're raising, but would call a reraise all-in, you should just push to begin with. The exception being that you have a monster hand, and WANT the person to reraise.

DasLeben
05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Was the call correct?
2) Given that the call was correct, would it have been better to just go all in for the origninal bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Yep. You're getting good odds on the call.
2. Very much so. (Not that the push UTG would necessarily be correct, but just that you should have just pushed here instead of brought in for a raise).

jgunnip
05-24-2005, 03:36 PM
I can't imagine that the odds of being way behind to villian's pushing range vs the pot odds justify calling. I think its a very easy fold. But I could be wrong.

However, I wouldn't be stealing the blinds with this UTG and five-handed.

poboys
05-24-2005, 04:17 PM
The way you played it, this is a clear fold.

You are holding a reasonable, but not a monster hand UTG and make the standard raise. Someone cames over the top of you. You should fold.

If you are going to call any player's re-raise, then you should just push. You at least have some fold equity.

Personally, I'd probably push pre-flop since the blinds are about to hit you.

Phoenix1010
05-24-2005, 04:30 PM
The fact that you've been stealing often should widen up his range a bit, but you're still about a 2:1 dog for a fairly wide range here. Any other information on the BB and the other players at the table would be helpful. You've got an edge in this spot, though not a big one. If you're significantly better than your opponents, you should fold. You don't want to have a 2/3 chance of busting out when you've still got plenty of chips to work with. The call is mathematically correct, but it's a small enough edge to let pass.

Yes you should have open pushed if you were going to raise, though I wouldn't if I had been raising often.

-Phoenix