PDA

View Full Version : My First NL Tourney Ever

12-11-2002, 09:45 PM
I posted last week that I won one table satellite at Taj in my first and only NL game.

I played the game last Sunday as one of the 174 aspirants in the $500 tourney full of apprehension, doubts and nervousness. I played very cautiously but tight and aggressive and maybe, because of luck than skill wound up in the last 3 tables while busting more experienced and some high stake players when my pairs were flopping sets and my AK's and AQ's were dominating their AXs and KQ's. Then this fateful hand came into play.

Blinds were T100/T200 with T50 ante. I got AdTd with about T10000 in MP and made a standard raise of T800 first one in. Everybody folded to BB who called. Flop was rags (I can't remember what they were as my mind was becoming clouded with the excitement of being close to the money). BB checked, I bet T2000, BB called. Turn was an A, BB checked, I bet another T2000. Should have went all in here?

BB raised T4000. BTW, this is the only time that I realized that we were about even in stacks. I called. In retrospect, I think I should have folded right here. River was no help. He went all in. Like a cattle being led into the slaughter, I called and lost to AK. Got T1200 left and soon busted in 22nd place, 4 short of the money.

I know, I know! My lack of experience showed in: 1)Practically no knowledge of NL my familiarity being from reading CP and PD and sometimes lurking in this forum mostly for entertainment; 2)Failing to survey other players' stacks to stay away from big ones and attacking only the smaller ones.

Any thoughts?

Oh well, such is Poker but it was a tremendous learning experience for 55 bucks! I felt I grew ten-fold in poker in one session.

BTW, special thanks to Fossilman for the advice that you game me when I sent you the private message. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

ohkanada
12-13-2002, 10:34 AM
Tough one (maybe why you havn't got a lot of responses)!

Pre-flop open-raising with ATs is marginal in MP. If your raises are getting a lot of respect then it is probably okay.

On the flop you took a stab at the pot by betting T2000. Although this is a pot-sized bet I think betting 70-80% of the pot does the job when you hit or miss. Unlikely your opponent would fold for 2000 but call for 1600. When he calls your bet what do you think he has? No apparent draws?

On the turn the ace looks good. I think you have two viable options. Going all-in since the pot is already at 6000. Checking is also a possibility depending on what draws are out there. Many opponents call with A-rag in the blinds when you raise, so he may have hit 2 pair on the turn.

Betting 2000 is vastly underbetting the pot. When he re-raises you does he smell weakness by the small bet and is simply raising with a weaker ace? Most opponents would re-raise with AK pre-flop but might not with AJ/AQ ( unless you were in steal position).

Good job in your 1st big tourney. It always hurts to be so close and miss the money. Keep on working on your game, and keep on posting!

Ken Poklitar

12-14-2002, 02:08 AM
My mistake - I had AdJd and not AdTd. My opponent was quite tight but looks like a seasoned tourney player. I think an all-in move on the flop could have been a better play being the PF raiser and slightly ahead (about T1200) of him on chips. But - that's water under the bridge.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Tipex
12-14-2002, 06:29 AM
Hello, in my opinion you should stay away from close gambles in a tournament, and specially at the end of the tournament, if you are not on low stack.

If you were in a stealing position playing AT was maybe right but if you were in middle or first position you might maybe fold. I use the tactic if someone shows strenght late in a tournament, you might back off, even if you have a good hand.

sincerely

Tipex