PDA

View Full Version : Low pair, High board, and an LP

Shalara
05-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Shalara is MP2 with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Shalara calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Shalara bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (3.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Shalara ???

Don't remember much about this table except that it was fairly loose &amp; passive, and the players seemed straightforward. I can figure CO to call with any piece or draw, though if he had an ace, I'd expect a flop raise (unless it was a very weak ace). I was hoping to take the pot down with a flop bet before anyone could draw to a better hand.

jrz1972
05-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Your odds of picking up the pot on the flop are virtually nil, so if you don't think your opponent will fold to a turn bet, you shouldn't have bet the flop in the first place.

There are two consistent lines here:

1. Bet the flop, then bet the turn no matter what hits.

2. Give up and go on to the next hand.

Given that its a very small pot and you've got an opponent who will call down with anything (LP), line (2) seems far preferable.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-24-2005, 10:16 AM
i wouldn't have bet this flop, but given that you did i'd bet this turn.

and btw, long time no see. what are you doing back in the kiddie pool?

spacemonkey57
05-24-2005, 10:23 AM
I think I'm check/folding that turn, as the pot is small and it's not a draw-heavy board.

Stinkybeaver
05-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Check the flop and bet if it is checked to you on turn.

Since you did bet the flop I'd say bet turn also.

Shalara
05-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Tapped my whole roll for the move when we went out to Vegas. Incidently, we had a family emergency a couple few months afterward, so I am back in the Springs again.

I'm halfway to 1/2 now, but I have a lot of mom-type stuff to do to keep me busy; my hours are few.

Maybe the flop bet was a little aggressive, but I was playing with a male avatar, and that whole cross-dressing thing just does something to me /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Howzit going?

Shalara
05-24-2005, 10:59 AM
General thoughts on this hand:

I bet initially because I wanted to fold a hand like QT, J9, or any other cards bigger than a 6. If he didn't have an ace or king, I thought to save the pot all for myself. If he did, it was a very cheap investment, and I thought I would take it enough of the time to make it a worthwhile one.

I didn't care for the call.

Some people suggest betting, some suggest checking. I can see arguments for either, but I checked, figuring a king would call me anyway. In retrospect, a bet doesn't look so bad, which is why I posted.

The river brought another king, counterfeiting my two pair. I checked, feeling that the hand was hopeless. I was rather surprised to have won with my 6 kicker. CO had a 52. (It was suited!)

Would he have played a king the same way? Probably so. A pair of 4s? Likely. A 24o? Possibly. Given that an opponent is that loose, (and I'd pegged him as loose, but not that loose) I was wondering how often a turn bet might actually be a value bet in this situation, and how often I'm just chucking chips.

bubbahotep
05-24-2005, 11:03 AM
grunching

I call preflop (you did)

Flop - I would bet after 2 checks (you did) the two folds that follow are good news.

Turn - I'd bet when the A drops here in a hurry. If you get raised I'd fold. If it gets called I check the river, fold to a raise.

Is that too passive?

Isura
05-24-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Shalara is MP2 with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Shalara calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Shalara bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (3.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Shalara ???

Don't remember much about this table except that it was fairly loose &amp; passive, and the players seemed straightforward. I can figure CO to call with any piece or draw, though if he had an ace, I'd expect a flop raise (unless it was a very weak ace). I was hoping to take the pot down with a flop bet before anyone could draw to a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grunching.

Raise preflop. THat makes the hand a lot easier to play too.
Flop bet is okay, but CO calling is the worst possible case. These players are the most annoying, they'll peel the flop with almost anything, and then bet the turn almost every time when checked to, so it's really tough. But check/folding the turn isn't terrible.

Isura
05-24-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm check/folding that turn, as the pot is small and it's not a draw-heavy board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. But I bet this turn HU if I had position.

Sarge85
05-24-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Shalara ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Important facts:

(3.25 BB)
K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Shalara bets</font>, CO calls

So (in order of importance) -

we have a small pot
Two over cards that people love to limp with, on a fairly drawless board
and your out of position to a person who called the flop.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

gvibes
05-24-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Grunching.

Raise preflop. THat makes the hand a lot easier to play too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew. I'm glad I'm not the only person who would raise this preflop (assuming decent table conditions).