PDA

View Full Version : do you see the flop?

aceferret
05-24-2005, 05:56 AM
2/4 NL, villian tight conservative UTG(250) limps, Hero(450) tight aggresive raises to 15 UTG+1 w/ AQs , folds around villian makes it 40 to go. Hero folds

good fold?

jtr
05-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I would call that a good fold, yes.

piki
05-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Better than 2-1 against 1 opponent? Suited overcards? Position?

I like a call. If he is tight, his flop play should define his hand well.

creedofhubris
05-24-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Better than 2-1 against 1 opponent? Suited overcards? Position?

I like a call. If he is tight, his flop play should define his hand well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain's already defined his hand with the ol' limp-reraise special. AA-JJ, AKs. Really, with a tight opponent, AA-KK.

If the stacks were deeper, hero could play, but hero is currently being asked to play a dominated hand for a max win of 12x the raise, so hero should fold.

piki
05-24-2005, 01:04 PM
He has defined his hand as a strong one. If he is very tight I like the implied odds for this hand with position. What is ace's image?

What hands would you call/raise the limp-reraise with?

amoeba
05-24-2005, 01:12 PM
what kind of flop would you be comfortable with? one with 2 queens?

I would rather call with suited connector than AQ here.

LuvDemNutz
05-24-2005, 03:11 PM
If the Villain is uber-tight and conservative then you win money by not getting involved with him when he has the goods.

If the stacks were deeper, MAYBE I call, otherwise I'm mucking with a quickness.

piki
05-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Dont get me wrong, I dont think this is an insta-call, but how do we plan to trap this tight-ass? Im not sure if two queens are good, but if one comes on the flop his bet should give us some information. Is there no way to out play him on the flop? What hands do you think we could break this player with? If you say pick a better spot, what would be a better spot agsinst this tight player?

Its an easy fold, but I dont like the raise if you arent willing to call a bit more than a min-reraise.

radioheadfan
05-24-2005, 03:59 PM
If the guy is tight/predictable and can lay down a high pocket pair, I'm calling with any two cards here in position. Just represent whatever hits the board. A couple of 7s hit the flop? Call his flop raise then raise/bet the turn. A straight or flush draw show up on the board? Make a big raise when the OESD or flush draw hits the turn. You will have much less fold equity when the flop hits K82 rainbow, but I wouldn't part with the AQs quite yet.

Learn to represent hands you dont have against these tight wads and watch them laydown when the board starts getting scary for their overpair. You of course need to be sure you have a tight image at the table and be confident that the villian can part with an overpair after the flop. If these conditions don't hold, then I don't see how you can play AQs here simply for the value of the cards, you need some bluffing equity coupled with the value of your hand to make playing it profitable in this spot against this type of villian.

LuvDemNutz
05-24-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the guy is tight/predictable and can lay down a high pocket pair, I'm calling with any two cards here in position. Just represent whatever hits the board. A couple of 7s hit the flop? Call his flop raise then raise/bet the turn. A straight or flush draw show up on the board? Make a big raise when the OESD or flush draw hits the turn. You will have much less fold equity when the flop hits K82 rainbow, but I wouldn't part with the AQs quite yet.

Learn to represent hands you dont have against these tight wads and watch them laydown when the board starts getting scary for their overpair. You of course need to be sure you have a tight image at the table and be confident that the villian can part with an overpair after the flop. If these conditions don't hold, then I don't see how you can play AQs here simply for the value of the cards, you need some bluffing equity coupled with the value of your hand to make playing it profitable in this spot against this type of villian.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the tight-ass's stack is deep enough for this to work.

I know if I am tight ass and I raise almost 1/5 of my stack preflop with AA, I am pretty much going to the felt with it.

piki
05-24-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know if I am tight ass and I raise almost 1/5 of my stack preflop with AA, I am pretty much going to the felt with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence me seeing a 2-1 flop to try and bust you /images/graemlins/wink.gif. If I do call you, and the flop comes up 2suited do you push out of position?

Dr. Strangelove
05-24-2005, 06:36 PM
So you think you are outflopping AA more than 33% of the time with AQs?

creedofhubris
05-24-2005, 07:18 PM
I would call this limp-reraise with any pair (shooting for set).

With enough behind, I'll call a small reraise with any two. (Well, that's not true, I don't raise with any two, but I won't fold whatever I raised with to a small reraise.)

creedofhubris
05-24-2005, 07:23 PM
This is a hand I played last night. 10/20 NL.

I have A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I ($2000) raise to $60 from MP. Extremely tight player ($1500) reraises to $120. I call.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, he bets $100, I call.

Turn: K/images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, he bets $150, I call.

River: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, he bets $300, I fold, he shows KK.

At no point could I have put enough pressure on him to make him fold, and if I move in on the flop I am an underdog. Now, he priced me in trying to trap me, but there's no guarantee other opponents will do that, which is why AQs is usually a fold.

mks
05-24-2005, 07:40 PM
wow, you were really a jack off on this one.

wow.

creedofhubris
05-24-2005, 08:42 PM
The jack gets me paid big.

The diamond gets me paid enough.

The ace woulda been ticklish.

piki
05-25-2005, 09:07 AM
I dont expect to ever outflop AA. I also dont expect Villian to always have AA with a limp re-raise. Do you?

piki
05-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Good points. Do you think turn K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif pays you off?

BluffTHIS!
05-25-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would rather call with suited connector than AQ here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, which assumes that very occasionally you would in fact raise early with such a hand to vary your play. When you get limp/reraised like that just turn the AQs into AQo and the decision will be much easier to make, since you are not going to be able to raise a tight player off AA/KK with an obvious flush draw on the flop.

aceferret
05-26-2005, 04:16 AM
2/4nl
Hero $ 959.19 tight aggresive stealing alot from button
villian $ 491.50 loose and very aggresive, capable of raising with any two, caught bluffing a few times after firing three bullets

villian limps UTG, few callers, Hero raises to 12 on button w AQs, villian reraises to 50 (the old limp raise) others fold, Hero calls

pot about 115
flop q x x rainbow
villian bets 50, hero calls
Turn blank, giving hero a flush draw
villian bets 125, hero calls
River blank
Villian push
Hero calls 240 or so to make 700

Villian flips KK and takes 490 from Hero /images/graemlins/frown.gif
- fear the limp reraise
- calling can give you very difficult decisions
- raise to see where you are at