PDA

View Full Version : Attention 8+ tablers

johnnybeef
05-24-2005, 03:32 AM
when i 4 tabled i didnt play in sets and id get in 5.5 an hour. now that i have been 8 tabling for several weeks, im finding that playing in sets is really the only possible way to do it as being on the bubble in 6 sngs and trying to set up 2 more is near impossible....comments?

ilya
05-24-2005, 03:33 AM
cybernetic limb extensions are the answer.

curtains
05-24-2005, 03:34 AM
I play in sets. Some don't and can handle just starting new ones, but emotioanlly I find it so much easier to get a break every 8 tourneys. Also I like being at the same stage in many tourneys at once, and also that near the bubble I'm playing less tourneys because usually I'll have been eliminated.

raptor517
05-24-2005, 03:38 AM
i run 12 continuous. be a man. SHIP IT. holla

beeyjay
05-24-2005, 03:40 AM
i used to play sets and never be able to start new ones while being on the bubble in a bunch of others but then eventually it becomes easy to play them continuously. its basically the same progression as adding another table or two i feel like.

i still can't really play for more than 2-3 hours without a break though and obviously its the extended periods if youre playin continuously that really add up to a lot more tables/hour than playing in sets.

johnnybeef
05-24-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i run 12 continuous. be a man. SHIP IT. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

wanna wrestle?

Bigwig
05-24-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also I like being at the same stage in many tourneys at once,

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? There are so many more real decisions at the bubble that may require thought. Also, the early levels can get so boring, that I love having them all spread out. Oh, excitement in this one! Boredom in this one. Etc.

curtains
05-24-2005, 04:02 AM
Bubble is easy! I like to be in my bubble mode. Actually the hands that actually require the most thought for me are from the early rounds where postflop play is involved. However 8 tabling isn't usually a problem there, as I'm so tight early on that there isn't much action. The bubble and ITM play is often just automatic.

Jman28
05-24-2005, 04:04 AM
I don't play in sets. Maybe try staggering starts and then playing continuously.

Mr_J
05-24-2005, 04:40 AM
Forget sets, forget staggering. Contiuously is where the profit is (an extra 15% is an extra 15%). Seriously though, playing countinuously or >4 tables isn't for everyone. If you can't get used to running 8 contiuously after being up there for weeks, there's a good chance that it just isn't for you. BUT, and a big but (no joke), it sounds like you tried to move from 4 to 8 tables pretty fast. Try going back to 4 (or wherever you feel comfy running continuously) and just adding 1 at a time until you are comfortable. Then add another etc.

curtains
05-24-2005, 04:43 AM
I'm willing to give up the profit from continously 8 tabling and just stick to doing it in sets. If I was doing it continuously I'm sure it would negatively impact my play, and reduce my overall quality of life.

Mr_J
05-24-2005, 04:44 AM
"There are so many more real decisions at the bubble that may require thought."

Like curtains said these are automatic. The more you encounter these situations, the less you have to think (until you get to the point where you look and click within half a second). I'm fine when most are on bubbles. It's when you go well and are mostly HU that it becomes a rush for me (simply because your turn comes up as quick as you can push).

johnnybeef
05-24-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Forget sets, forget staggering. Contiuously is where the profit is (an extra 15% is an extra 15%). Seriously though, playing countinuously or >4 tables isn't for everyone. If you can't get used to running 8 contiuously after being up there for weeks, there's a good chance that it just isn't for you. BUT, and a big but (no joke), it sounds like you tried to move from 4 to 8 tables pretty fast. Try going back to 4 (or wherever you feel comfy running continuously) and just adding 1 at a time until you are comfortable. Then add another etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, this doesnt work....i waited tables for over 5 years. having 6 tables of guests that all have individual needs is much more difficult than making decisions at 8 poker tables (which tend to be almost automatic). i guess i actually could play continuously if i tried, but i rather enjoy the slight break in between in which i reflect upon my play/read responses to threads/check email etc. furthermore, (not to shoot you down or anything) i find that i kinda get bored when 4 tabling.

Blarg
05-24-2005, 04:55 AM
I find continuous is much easier for me, because there will always be a time when some of my tables don't need much attention.

Mr_J
05-24-2005, 04:59 AM
"I'm willing to give up the profit from continously 8 tabling and just stick to doing it in sets."

I actually agree. When I come back to playing SNGs seriously again (I'm playing cash games atm, and will come back to sngs unless my cash game hourly rate becomes more attractive), I'll just play them in sets. It doesn't feel like a race or grind. Playing a few ITM games (which is average for 8 tabling) is much more enjoyable than having 2 early games, 4 4-6 handed and 2 ITms going. Sacrificing some EV in order to make working more enoyable. I think that's why I got bored with sngs in the first place. So obsessed with playing XX sngs an hr, XX sngs a day and ignored job satisfaction. Hourly rate doesn't matter to me if I don't like my job, since I won't put in the hours. Do what makes you happy.

Mr_J
05-24-2005, 05:05 AM
"i guess i actually could play continuously if i tried, but i rather enjoy the slight break in between in which i reflect upon my play/read responses to threads/check email etc."

Then that's fine. I got the impression you were looking to play 8 contiuously. Do what makes you comfortable/happy. Like I wrote in my reply to curtains, I enjoy sngs when I play in sets, but don't when I play continously. Playing continously has burnt me out (bored not tired).

DasLeben
05-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Because I'm not 100% working on increasing my hourly rate at the moment, I 4-table in sets. However, I'm perfectly capable of 4-tabling continuously, and will do so if I get bored enough.

johnnybeef
05-24-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because I'm not 100% working on increasing my hourly rate at the moment, I 4-table in sets. However, I'm perfectly capable of 4-tabling continuously, and will do so if I get bored enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont feel like getting into too much depth on this subject, but you really need to examine your reasoning on this statement.

DasLeben
05-24-2005, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont feel like getting into too much depth on this subject, but you really need to examine your reasoning on this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will when the Jäger wears off. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

johnnybeef
05-24-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will when the Jäger wears off. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao

jcm4ccc
05-24-2005, 05:18 AM
Does everybody 8-table with 2 monitors? Or do some people 8-table with 1 monitor? I'm thinking of going from 4-tables to 6-tables on 1 monitor--is that a stupid idea?

Seadood228
05-24-2005, 05:20 AM
I play in sets as well. It's a function of my overactive bladder and nicote addiction though..

johnnybeef
05-24-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play in sets as well. It's a function of my overactive bladder and nicote addiction though..

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what chewing tobaccow and nicorette are for....those cancer sticks are costing you more money than you thought

david050173
05-24-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does everybody 8-table with 2 monitors? Or do some people 8-table with 1 monitor? I'm thinking of going from 4-tables to 6-tables on 1 monitor--is that a stupid idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try it but I think you will find it hard. I can sort of do 5 but 6 has too much overlap. I spent too mcuh time hunting for and moving the windows around windows. I have considered trying to install one of the virutal screen products (it gives you like 8 monitors of data and you can tab between them) to see if that is playable. Probably better to go blow the 600 bucks and get another screen and video card.

raptor517
05-24-2005, 05:38 AM
i 8 tabled on one computer for 2 days. i hated my life. then i bought 4 2001 fps, which made me love life again. holla

johnnybeef
05-24-2005, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i 8 tabled on one computer for 2 days. i hated my life. then i bought 4 2001 fps, which made me love life again. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i just got me 2 in the mail....i need a third.

The Yugoslavian
05-24-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to show UMTerp the light...doesn't that dude still like will 12 table on 1 laptop monitor?

UUUGGGHHH!

Yugoslav

Scuba Chuck
05-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Curveball. I have two monitors. A 1600x1200 Dell, and a 1024x1280 ViewSonic. Does anyone else play with two different sized monitors? Anyway, I'm finding that I lose interest in the ViewSonic games. I'm not sure if it's because I only have one or two games over there, or the slight overlap still bugs me.

chisness
05-24-2005, 01:15 PM
I currently play with a 21" CRT Sony and a Viewsonic VP201B LCD on the side. The Sony sits straight ahead of me (for online gaming, mainly Counter-Strike) and the Viewsonic sits off to the side. I often find that while focused on a table on one monitor, I forget about the other ones.

I imagine those with LCDs on stands or otherwise close to each other it's easier to maintain focus on all games (and see them all better).

I recently purchased 3 additional LCDs so I'll try my hand at 12 tabling this summer.

durron597
05-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Say I'm 8-tabling. Does it mean, I start 4 SnGs at once, wait until they are all level 3, start another 4, then finish them all and stop? Or do you start all 8 at once, then just finish them all and stop?

DonButtons
05-24-2005, 02:10 PM
I just got my new set up in, and I've been 8-tabling for like 100 sngs or so, it seems most the time I can run them cont. most of the time but some sets just seem to crazy to be able to run cont. with so much action all over the place.

I think there's a good point mentioned by curtains, where running in sets might make life easier and make sngs a little more enjoyable.

Maybe Its good to open up a new sng if you bust out early, but I guess I could deal with squeezing in 2 less sngs per hour till I get used to it more.

tech
05-24-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play in sets. Some don't and can handle just starting new ones, but emotioanlly I find it so much easier to get a break every 8 tourneys. Also I like being at the same stage in many tourneys at once, and also that near the bubble I'm playing less tourneys because usually I'll have been eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

My feelings exactly.

chisness
05-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Durron,

Both are considered sets. The non-set method would be having 8 running at all times, instantly starting up a new 1 as soon as you complete 1.

waarior
05-24-2005, 03:43 PM
I have the same problem. I would prefer to do 8 continously but until the software refreshes the signup lists faster I found I just can't do it.

Constantly clicking on a table that has open seats in the lobby only to find that the tournament has been running for 5 minutes is just too annoying and distracting when on the bubble in multiple tournaments.

So I just do a quasi-continuous mode where if there are multiple tables on the bubble I wait for those to complete before firing up some more. Makes it easier plus adds some games per hour without the hassle.

Phoenix1010
05-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I had trouble playing 8 continuously at first. Now I can't stand to have less than 6 on at once, it just gets too boring. After you play 8 at once for a while you'll get used to it and be able to open up new ones continuously. Once your ability to concentrate compensates for all the extra data, playing in sets will become a waste of money. It's something to work toward. By the way, I play 8 on one monitor without any trouble, and my roomate plays 10-12 on one monitor without too much trouble, and we both have overlap with 4.

Blarg
05-24-2005, 09:31 PM
It's always hard for me to believe people really want to torture themselves like this when you can get a new 19-inch CRT for a hundred bucks.

Even if you don't like CRT's nearly as much as LCD's, it makes playing so, so, so much more pleasant and easy to not have more than 4 tables per monitor.