PDA

View Full Version : Help me get a car

SGS
05-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Ok so upon completion of my 4th year of college my parents are going to buy me a car. The only thing is since they are buying it for me there are some stipulations I must abide by. They are simply that the car must be foriegn made, that it must be new, and my price range is ~25k. Thus far I like the Honda Accord (2 door) and Toyota Tacoma. They are very reliable which is also something I would value. I do have some money I could contribute to the cause so I could go over 25k a little bit, but would rather keep my money if possible. What are your guys' suggestions?

SGS

shant
05-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Scion TC

bump
05-24-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They are simply that the car must be foriegn made,

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment upset me.

shemp
05-24-2005, 02:47 AM
It's a negotiation. Counter offer that you'll do it for ~22.5k but used. How can they turn down a 10% savings on a purchase that depreciates even more once outside the lot? Once they agree to that you have them by the nuts, because you'll still spend the 25k.

nothumb
05-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Toyota makes great trucks, but I wouldn't recommend one if you don't have a real use for it.

My strategy would be, buy a used Tacoma for 10k or so and buy a Harley with the rest.

NT

david050173
05-24-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are simply that the car must be foriegn made,

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment upset me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. It means he can't buy most hondas or toyotas since they are made in the USA.

Jeff W
05-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Why do your parents demand that you get a new car? New cars are not good value. Tell them to stop being ignorant.

I wish my parents would give me 25k for graduation. I get nothing. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

dhaimon
05-24-2005, 03:19 AM
Toyota Celica /images/graemlins/heart.gif :]

eric5148
05-24-2005, 03:24 AM
Audi A4, 3-4 years old.

TBag
05-24-2005, 03:35 AM
Frick new cars. 2001-2004 BMW M3.

SEX MACHINE

SGS
05-24-2005, 03:37 AM
I don't mean manufactured in a foreign country, simply the country must have a non US base. Honda's, Toyota's ok. Ford's, etc. not.

SGS

SGS
05-24-2005, 03:39 AM
I don't really know what the whole deal with the "new" car was, but these were just the conditions I was given and I really don't want to argue too much as they are buying me a new car for nothing.

SGS

eric5148
05-24-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know what the whole deal with the "new" car was, but these were just the conditions I was given and I really don't want to argue too much as they are buying me a new car for nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to argue. Make a new thread with a poll for either new or used, and show it to them.

david050173
05-24-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean manufactured in a foreign country, simply the country must have a non US base. Honda's, Toyota's ok. Ford's, etc. not.

SGS

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a pretty meaningless distinguishion these days. Is mazda based in the US or Japan? Is Chrysler in the US or Germany? Your parents probably had a bad experience with an american car in the 80s and that is tainting thier view. If you are looking at a truck, there are some american brands to consider.

First off you need to decide what you want out of the car/truck. If you are into sporty driving, the M3 is a poor choice. If you want to drive aggressively, a pick up is a lousey choice. If you are driving 40K miles a year a m3 lousey gas mileage is really going to hurt you at the pump

If you buy the same priced care (25K new versus 25K used) there are big advantages to buying new. Yes the car isn't as nice but for 3-4 years you don't have to worry about repair costs. Given those first couple years are financally tight getting whacked with a 3K repair bill and really screw up the budget. Go to edmunds and look at the total cost of ownership to see how much buying a used car will save you. There is more to this than just looking at depreciation.

And finally, you might want to ask if you can get a cheaper car and the cash to help you get started. Downpayments, furniture, insurance, work clothes, and so on can be a decent chunk of change.

Shoe
05-24-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

SGS

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just being dumb... there is not much of a difference between "american" and "foreign" cars anymore. I have had a GM car (bought it new) 5 years ago and it still runs great. I have not had to do any work on it, except for having to replace the brakes once, which any car would have needed with the miles i put on. (and regular oil changes).

I also took it in for the 60k "tuneup", even though the car was running great. I don't know how necessary that is, or if it is just a mechanic's way of making some extra money.

Congrats on contributing to our trade deficit for a stupid reason. If a foreign car is your first choice, fine that is one thing, I am all for a free market. However, don't be so stupid to just assume the foreign cars are better without alteast stopping by some american dealerships for a few test drives. Maybe you will find something you like. I did.

IronDragon1
05-24-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Frick new cars. 2001-2004 BMW M3.

SEX MACHINE

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer for oh so many reasons

http://www.autogazeta.com/g/417/Bmw.jpg

Gives me a chubby just looking at a picture of it

Ianco15
05-24-2005, 06:05 AM
I don't know what planet you two are on. Find me a 2004 M3 for $25K that doesn't have something wrong with it. A 2001 M3 for 25K is a strech as well.

zephed56
05-24-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are into sporty driving, the M3 is a poor choice.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

If by poor you mean great, then I agree. If poor != great in this sentence, you don't know what you're talkin' about.

jakethebake
05-24-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Me too. It means he can't buy most hondas or toyotas since they are made in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

while most Chevys and Fords are made in Canada or Mexico...LOL. I always find this whole debate hilarious.

IronDragon1
05-24-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what planet you two are on. Find me a 2004 M3 for $25K that doesn't have something wrong with it. A 2001 M3 for 25K is a strech as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this guy could chip in the difference then it could be cool.

But yeah-no dice unless you got in other than your parents money.

ddollevoet
05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
How about a Porsche Boxster with only 14,200 miles on it? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6015&item=45522315 51&rd=1)

david050173
05-24-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are into sporty driving, the M3 is a poor choice.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

If by poor you mean great, then I agree. If poor != great in this sentence, you don't know what you're talkin' about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I could pretend anyting less than a 360 is crap or just admit I dropped a not in that sentance:). Among "practical" cars nothing really compares to the M3 if you are doing some serious driving. The new RS4 looks killer on paper. Have to see if they deliver. Of course if you don't care about creature comforts, get the evo:)

TBag
05-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Sex machine for 25k (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=182741987&dealer_id=56340866&car_ye ar=2001&make=BMW&distance=0&lang=en&max_price=2500 0&model=M3&end_year=2006&sort_type=priceASC&min_pr ice=1&certified=&address=95616&search_type=both&ad vanced=&isp=y&start_year=2001&cardist=2551)

david050173
05-24-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sex machine for 25k (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=182741987&dealer_id=56340866&car_ye ar=2001&make=BMW&distance=0&lang=en&max_price=2500 0&model=M3&end_year=2006&sort_type=priceASC&min_pr ice=1&certified=&address=95616&search_type=both&ad vanced=&isp=y&start_year=2001&cardist=2551)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you notice that he said rebuilt engine? Sounds like a car that has been driven real hard. I am guessing there is a reason why he is selling it for 5K below book value

shadow29
05-24-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about a Porsche Boxster with only 14,200 miles on it? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6015&item=45522315 51&rd=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Transmission: Automatic

A part of me died inside.

david050173
05-24-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Transmission: Automatic

A part of me died inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that something like half the boxster sales were autos. Makes a lot of sense once you realize a lot of people buy them for the name not the driving experience.