PDA

View Full Version : $30s --> $50s

ilya
05-24-2005, 12:44 AM
So...because I want to play the $50K freeroll this coming Sunday, and I can't play enough $30s to earn 3000 Party Points in one week, I've decided to move up to the $50s. Smart thinking, eh?
My ridiculousness notwithstanding, I would appreciate hearing some opinions on the differences between two levels and any adjustments that may be worth making.
Thanks.

lorinda
05-24-2005, 12:45 AM
$50s involve more post flop play than you would imagine.

Lori

Mr_Gordon
05-24-2005, 01:14 AM
This is has to do with what Lorinda said regarding post flop play. The board may look safe but be aware of drawing hands. Good players and especially the bad ones will call sizeable raises in the early levels with suited connectors and such in hopes of trapping that ass.

The Yugoslavian
05-24-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've decided to move up to the $50s. Smart thinking, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed already....

Yeah, the post flop play is going to be quite important.

For all the credit Eastbay gets for his pre-flop allin ability and endgame skillz....I'd wager quite a bit of money that he is a beast post flop in the 55s too (as he has the best posted 55 results on this forum - by quite a bit I'd say too).

However....I think you will do fine, just don't get into too much trouble post-flop and make sure to etract chips when you have the opportunities.

Gl!

Yugoslav
Donk!

tech
05-24-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any adjustments that may be worth making

[/ QUOTE ]

Table (and seat) selection makes a difference because you will run into the same players quite a bit.

Newt_Buggs
05-24-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Table (and seat) selection makes a difference because you will run into the same players quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
definitly. I've been getting plenty of "supbro"s since I moved up to the $50s.

Phil Van Sexton
05-24-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So...because I want to play the $50K freeroll this coming Sunday, and I can't play enough $30s to earn 3000 Party Points in one week, I've decided to move up to the $50s. Smart thinking, eh?
My ridiculousness notwithstanding, I would appreciate hearing some opinions on the differences between two levels and any adjustments that may be worth making.
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The extra 200 chips makes a big difference. I suppose there's more post-flop play in levels 1 and 2, but I didn't think that was a big deal.

IMO, the biggest difference is when you get down to 4 players and the average stack has 500 more chips than you are used to. It is much more common to get down to 4 or 5 players and none of them have a small stack.

In the 800 chip games if you get to 2500 chips, you can basically coast into the money if you choose to. In the 1000 chip games, 2500 isn't nearly as good.

Similiar adjustments in thinking are required for when your stack is 1200, 1600...etc.

hummusx
05-24-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
definitly. I've been getting plenty of "supbro"s since I moved up to the $50s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh, didn't want to hear this. Been planning to move up to the 50s soon.

Scuba Chuck
05-24-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$50s involve more post flop play than you would imagine.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine, care to explain? Also, are you just assuming early?

stupidsucker
05-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Variance is much bigger at the 50s.
I am hoping to keep a 12% roi 8tabling.

Iamafish
05-24-2005, 11:30 AM
I need to get into the 55's.

Maybe I can get lucky like raptor playing 15/30, I need to buy a bigger luckbox first.

J-Lo
05-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Go find my thread about folding AA postflop vs agression vs 2 oponents. You'll see how much "postflop play" is actually required.

AA suited
05-24-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Variance is much bigger at the 50s.
I am hoping to keep a 12% roi 8tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

ever since i started 6 tabling, my roi dropped from 25% to 10%. i stopped 6 tabling, and went back to quad tabling, and my roi stayed at 10% over 250 SnG's!

WTF?! What the hell am I doing wrong?! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I dont notice anything different in my play.

Suggestions at what i should be looking for?

THX

Voltron87
05-24-2005, 09:38 PM
how many did you play at each level. my gut says play more sngs. i think youre overinterpreting the results, and underestimating how much variance there is.

Degen
05-24-2005, 09:53 PM
for me at the 33's the key to winning is going loco at level 5 when i have an avg stack. well it has been my experience that this is -EV at the 55's. better to wait a round or two. biggest reason for this probably being that there are more players still around at lvl 5 at the 55's, and also the bigger starting stacks.

you'll also need to cope with the desperate feelings you'll start having when the blinds are huge and you have no chips...but if you look around you'll see that nobody has chips and you are all in the same boat.

its a much subtler game in this regard, takes more patience and more of that thing i absolutely HATE doing...playing poker.

Andre