PDA

View Full Version : QTs -- should I do this kind of thing more often?

Nick C
05-23-2005, 11:24 PM
I hardly ever checkraise the turn heads-up anymore, but CO doesn't know that.

He's 23/10/0.8 after a measly 31 hands. I saw him raise preflop with 95s after a couple of limpers a few hands ago before the table started getting short-handed, but it's not something he makes a habit of.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000FF">I thought about 3-betting here. Was it better not to?</font>

Flop: (4.33 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000FF">I considered checkraising here, but I decided against it. I also considered leading. How good/bad is the check-call?</font>

Turn: (3.16 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises . . .</font>

<font color="#0000FF">My plan, if just called, was to lead the river, improved or not.</font>

Thoughts?

I've been experimenting a little lately in 3/6, in reaction to not getting paid off as well as I'd like to with my big hands. And, sometimes, I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.

Nick C
05-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Okay, maybe this is actually standard, but I'd like to know.

eric5148
05-24-2005, 02:28 AM
Looks ok to me.

Brunger
05-24-2005, 02:45 AM
I like check raising the flop and leading the turn because I think that gets just as many or more folds and is slightly cheaper. However your line doesn't look bad either.

Klepton
05-24-2005, 03:12 AM
this is a great move, however, if he has any pair and maybe AK high he will call down

Carmine
05-24-2005, 05:07 AM
Nick you're calling here because you believe you are in a steal situation. In which case I think a 3-bet is in order.
The turn raise is great here because you have such a strong draw, do you make the same raise with a blank turn? Did you make the flop call knowing you would C/R any turn card?

Isn't 3-betting this PF just more effective and cheaper in the longrun.

party36master
05-24-2005, 11:48 AM
3 bet preflop, and lead the flop.
You'll pick up the pot if its a steal raise.

Nick C
05-24-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The turn raise is great here because you have such a strong draw, do you make the same raise with a blank turn? Did you make the flop call knowing you would C/R any turn card?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's nice to have a plan, I know, but I was kind of making it up as I went along, during this hand.

I mainly called the flop because I decided not to lead or checkraise and I thought that folding would be bad (if I was going to check-fold after flopping two overcards, a gutshot, and a backdoor flush, then there wasn't much point in my calling preflop).

Anyway, I didn't decide to checkraise the turn until I picked up the flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't 3-betting this PF just more effective and cheaper in the longrun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking a preflop 3-bet quite possibly would be better.