PDA

View Full Version : Should I play the $2500 Limit Hold Em Event At WSOP?

Jeffage
05-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Ok, so I'm gonna be in Vegas during this event. I'm thinking about taking a shot, but I'm not really a tournament player. I'm a middle limit hold em player, but think this event would be fun and of course will have a big payoff. The money is significant, but I could deal with losing it. I wouldn't be mad if I lost that amt. in a limit game, but I'm thinking losing it in a tourn would make me angry. Thoughts?

Jeff

Ianco15
05-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Is that the smallest LHE tournament buy in at the WSOP?

dogmeat
05-23-2005, 11:09 PM
I love tournaments, and will be there too, but why play for $2500 (+ fee) when you are not a tournament player. The side game action (live money games) is always very good around the WSOP. Why not put your money there?

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

dogmeat
05-23-2005, 11:29 PM
NO. On Sunday the 5th, there is a $1500 event, $2000 on the 11th, and again $1500 on the 15th.

danvh
05-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Do they have satallites for these? If so is there a site that lists them (or just show up before and look?) I was thinking about playing in the Limit 2000 on the 11th.

From the 2nd-10th Im going to be working my ass off in Vegas and dont want to invest the 2000 and just be dead tired. However, I think if I can play in a satallite, I can save money if im fried (will take a lil bit to find out cuz Ill be hyped to play in either) or find out Im ok and hopefully do well in the satallite.

Analyst
05-23-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I'm gonna be in Vegas during this event. I'm thinking about taking a shot, but I'm not really a tournament player. I'm a middle limit hold em player, but think this event would be fun and of course will have a big payoff. The money is significant, but I could deal with losing it. I wouldn't be mad if I lost that amt. in a limit game, but I'm thinking losing it in a tourn would make me angry. Thoughts?

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a couple of the online limit tournaments and see if you like it. I'd recommend the Stars $200+15 Saturday night tournament, with a mix of players from donk to top pro, more than occasionally including 2+2ers like cardsharpcook, colson, WSOP2005 and brainwash. It's fun and if you enjoy playing this, you'll almost certainly like the live tourney experience even more.

Ianco15
05-24-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NO. On Sunday the 5th, there is a $1500 event, $2000 on the 11th, and again $1500 on the 15th.

[/ QUOTE ]
In that case I don't see why you don't just play a smaller buy in WSOP tourney.

henrikrh
05-24-2005, 03:47 AM
Why play in one tourney when you coupld play in satellites for several? You would either lose less money and not get in, or get in and save a whole bunch.

Nick B.
05-24-2005, 04:34 AM
Yea, go for it. I am guessing that you starting playing poker for fun and this is an opportunity for fun. If you have the money, definitely go for it.

Jeffage
05-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Because (VERY VERY UNFORTUNATELY) I don't live in Las Vegas. I'll just be down the weekend of that tournament. The day before is a $1500 NL Shootout (no thanks). Anyway, I think what I decided is if I do well in AC this weekend and am doing ok in Vegas going into the tournament, I'll probably play. One other negative is if I make the final table, I'll have to miss my flight on Sunday. But I think at that point I won't give a damn /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Jeff

Turning Stone Pro
05-24-2005, 08:54 AM
The last thing anyone would accuse me of was being a tournament player. But, I'll be in Vegas, I'm gonna take a shot.

When I win it, I'm gonna buy a black Dodge Viper and pay off my school loans.

If you see a tall, good looking gentleman in the tournament with a neat haircut and a beautiful woman by his side, that's my opponent, don't root for him . . . .

If you see a short, stocky fellow with a Iron City Beer hat who doesn't look like he has two sticks to rub together, that'll be me! Pull me in, y'all . . .

TSP

MaxPower
05-24-2005, 10:21 AM
I am debating the same thing. I'm also a non-tournament guy. The biggest live tournament I've ever played was a $30 buy-in at Mohegan Sun. I know Schneids, Bicyclekick, and Nate tha' Great are planning on playing in this.

The only reason I would do it is for the experience of playing in a WSOP event. I don't even know if I care about the WSOP.

By the way, this one won't be televised, so you won't become famous if you make the final table.

Jeffage
05-24-2005, 10:33 AM
I've played some tournaments online, but only for fun really. The only other event I played was a night one at Orleans Open a couple years ago ($125 buyin w/ one $100 rebuy).

Trip Report: I lost.

Jeff

Paluka
05-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I think I'm going to play the $2000 Limit and NL tourneys on the the 11th and 12th. I like the $2500 limit tourney, but I don't want to play in the NLHE shootout because I blow at headsup NLHE.

AceHigh
05-24-2005, 12:36 PM
If you think it will be fun you should play. You are good enough for it to be +EV, although you probably won't win any money, if that makes sense.

jakethebake
05-24-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I play the $2500 Limit Hold Em Event At WSOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Wait......no. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

betgo
05-25-2005, 01:36 AM
If you are a winning oyer at middle limits, you won't be that EV-. Play if you can afford it and you want the experience of playing in a WSOP event. From a financial point of view, you will probably be better off playing in the side games. There are plenty of limit holdem tournaments on Party. I would try playing in those first. You could also try the limit tournament in WCOOP on Stars. I think it is $500 or $1000.

Schneids
05-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Play it lets have a 2p2er win this one.

Jeffage
05-25-2005, 09:01 AM
You gonna be there too? I'm very strongly considering it. Let's see how the Borg 40 game treats me this weekend.

Jeff

stinkypete
05-28-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Play it lets have a 2p2er win this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

screw that... let's have an all 2+2 final table.

i will very likely play, unless the partying gets out of hand the previous night... which might actually mean that i'm unlikely to play, but we'll see.

FeliciaLee
05-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Jeff, just try a satellite and see what you think. The day before this LHE event, find the sat area and they will be running LHE and NLHE satellites around the clock.

The buy-in will be $250 plus juice. Satellites aren't really that tough. Try out one or two and you might have your buy-in at a bargain.

I won my buy-in's for three events last year, and I was just some green yahoo when it came to big buy-in events. I took a chance, and it worked out well. While I didn't cash in any of the series events, I was only about 20 outside of the money in the Stud event, and I got experience in all three (Stud, Stud 8, Razz).

I spent about 1k on sats, and was able to enter three $1500 events.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mikey
05-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Give me a call in the morning and I'll tell you what the weather is so I can give you good advice on what outfit you should wear.

balt999
05-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Hell Ya...take a shot....you never know what could happen if the cards fall right...

Luv2DriveTT
05-30-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeff, just try a satellite and see what you think. The day before this LHE event, find the sat area and they will be running LHE and NLHE satellites around the clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what I wanted to hear... I need to see if I can re-schedule my Friday flight so I can get in a Satellite. I'm not willing to invest $2,500 for a limit tournament, but I am willing to invest $250. Its worth a shot in the dark, I'm going to look into it today.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Luv2DriveTT
05-30-2005, 02:14 PM
OK, I got the info. They run a single table satellite upon demand for the following day's tournament starting within the hour after the current day's tournament starts. They continue running satellites until the next morning, they stop right before the tournament starts. I'm dead money for sure... but I'm going to give it a shot.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif