PDA

View Full Version : pool table cover for poker

dreq
05-23-2005, 10:19 PM
My 22 month old daughter loves my father's pool table. My wife and I never use it. The only time it sees nay play is twice a year. We have been hosting monthly games now, and the octagon one is starting to get crowded.

Has anyone tried to get a top to put on a pool table for poker. I guess we can just go with what we have, but I don't want any spilage on the pool table.

any thoughts? reccomendations

tubalkain
05-24-2005, 04:23 AM
Best thing I can think of is to take a piece of plywood, put foam, felt, and a rail on it, secure it to the pool table somehow, and call it a tabletop.

ericslagle
05-24-2005, 05:21 AM
I thought about doing the same thing but the problem is your knees. Sit at the table and try to eat - your knees will band the table a lot. In sum, I decided against it. The table top would have to hang over the edge and I assume that would be a monster table.

tubalkain
05-24-2005, 06:44 AM
On a 7 foot table, with a standing dedicated dealer, it should work all right.

On anything bigger, it's a bad idea.

smoore
05-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Like ericslagle said, legspace doesn't work around a pool table unless it's a pedestal leg type. If the table is 6.5x3.5 (bar size) and has solid sides like most, you'll need to make a surface that's 8.5x5.5 just to give people 1ft of overhang for leg space. That's about like a coach seat in a commercial airliner. 5.5 ft is just too wide for an oval table. Take some cardboard and make a mockup of what you would have to build and sit for awhile, it *may* work for you.

I would move the thing to the corner, make a sturdy service top for it (that doesn't rest on the slate), and use it for utility. From experience, two four wheel mover's dollys and enough lumber or plywood boxes to reach the bottom of the table will allow one person to glide a 9ft pool table around on a smooth floor. You'll need one strong person to lift the table and one person to slip the final lumber in. The thing can sit on the dollys forever if you prop it up securely. Plan it out so the beast is only about 1/2in off the ground. Saftey FIRST! You can play on it while it's on the dollys. I have but I didn't put MY foot under the legs /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Build yourself a folding leg poker table. The pool table light should make a perfect poker table light. scottkeen.com baybee!

dreq
05-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Here are the dimensions of the table. without a jigsaw i feel alittle scared making the table. I have a buddy that would do the felt, padding and vinal though. I sent these to ohio poker tables for a quote will follow up on results and decisions. http://www.pokerchipspokertables.com/index.html

outside length 90 3/8 inches
inside lenght 78 7/8 inches
outside width 50 3/8 inches
inside length 38 3/4 inches

deep 1 3/4 inches from center of table to the tops of the corner pockets

Was looking to mount it on two by fours or somthing similar in the middle. so that is would sorta rest on the felt of the table