PDA

View Full Version : Are 100 BB swings common??

Webster
12-11-2002, 08:36 AM
MAN! It seems I have these HUGE swings, bot up and down. I'll win over 100 BBs in a short period and then drop 100BBs.

I know I have a few leaks and am slightly Loose/Aggressive (workig on the leaks). But holy cow!!!

Is losing 10BB per hour for 10 hours and winning 10BB for 10 hours still in the Standard Fluctuation area?

John Biggs
12-11-2002, 10:31 AM
If we're talking short-handed (as opposed to heads-up), then these swings do seem awfully big to me. I've been known to drop 30 to 40 big bets per hour if I'm playing badly and the cards are running against me, and win the same when I'm playing well against weak opposition and getting good cards. Your loose-aggressive style will certainly exacerbate the phenomenon; it's a great style against weak-tight opponents or if you're catching cards, but also great for losing hand over fist if you are against calling stations who river you at a time when you're not catching cards.

You might think of developing a couple of alternate styles for use when your primary style is not working.

scottro
12-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Although it seems huge, it's not out of the expected range for short-handed play, IMO. I've certainly done the same thing many times.

Look at your play carefully, and really concentrate on playing your opponents when you're short handed (and especially if your heads-up). You really have to adjust for this type of play, and although it can be very profitable, be prepared for monster swings.

I'm going through a similar swing at the moment (down nearly 100 BB in the last 25 hours), and that's playin in full ring games. It happens.

I hope you recover soon!

scottro

Webster
12-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Thanks Scott - I play 95% shorthanded and was just wondering if I was the ONLY one.

I go through highs where I feel I should give lessons and lows where I feel I have completely forgottin how to play!!

MRBAA
12-12-2002, 10:29 AM
Big swings are inevitable, and the smaller the sample the more likely the results will be extreme. My experience suggests that if you read, study and analyze your play you can get a feel for your expectation in 300 or so hours of playing a particular game at a particular limit. But of course that expectation is constantly evolving as the other players change. Depending on the game and the structure, you can somewhat limit fluctuations by playing a bit tighter and a bit less aggressive. But you may be giving up postitive value plays if you do.

John Biggs
12-12-2002, 03:25 PM