PDA

View Full Version : A point of disagreement with Sklansky's article...

allenciox
05-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Sklansky recommends that you bluff raise from the Big Blind (w/ very deep stacks) only with complete garbage... this was assuming that anyone limping would fold or reraise all-in. However, I find that in online tournaments, many people will "just call" with a pocket pair or other speculative hand, even though the implied odds are not there. Once people stick some money in the pot, they often are highly attracted to that hand.

In that case, wouldn't small suited connectors (just like in the other case he mentions) be better hands to try this with? At least you have some significant probability that you will "hit your hand" in some way on the flop.

propervillain
05-23-2005, 06:50 PM
I think he is referring to thinking players. Could it be that where you play is inhabited by non-thinking players? I only point this out because I play with some less capable opponents myself.

Justin A
05-24-2005, 02:52 AM
He's talking about a big live no limit game, much different than a small stakes tourney.

StellarWind
05-24-2005, 03:57 AM
The important thing is to understand Sklansky's basic concept and apply it to your specific situation.

As good as he is, I'm not really interested in David telling me how my opponents play. That's what my eyes are for.

If people often just call in your game then you should try to have useful cards. Otherwise 32o will do very nicely.