PDA

View Full Version : Old Crow Heads Up V. Maker's Mark, AKA Why Zeno A Misanthrope

HDPM
12-10-2002, 10:43 PM
OK, after the whisky poll, I decided to try Old Crow. Since Zeno said it was drinkable and I had that case a couple of years ago where Old Crow played a central role, I purchased a bottle of it for just 7.95 tonight and put it in a heads-up taste test with Maker's Mark. I poured a small measure of Old Crow in a glass, and did likewise with the Maker's Mark. A blind test is irrelevant since I did the pouring and I can tast the MM anyway. I looked at the OC color and gave it a smell. EEEEEEEWW. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif It was gross. I couldn't place the aroma. It wasn't quite lockerroom mildew or PVC. But it was somewhere in between. I gave it a taste. Gaaack /forums/images/icons/mad.gif The horrible taste took me aback. I tried some more. Still Rancid. So I poured a bit of water in, the old "open the whisky up" trick that was discussed in the prior thread. No improvement. The rest of the small sample was poured down the drain. I couldn't take it. I got the taste out of my mouth with water and the small measure of Maker's Mark. But I think I have PTSD from the experience.

Zeno, I beg you to pour the Old Crow down the drain. I have a whole bottle here that I would not serve to you if you came over. I would pout it out first. I now know why you are a misanthrope. It is the Old Crow. Zeno, please dump the Old Crow. For all of us and the good of mankind. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Zeno
12-11-2002, 02:16 AM
"I poured a small measure of Old Crow in a glass," /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Major mistake HDPM. Never drink Old Crow from a glass. You keep the bottle in the lovely bown paper bag, fold back the top edges of said bag, quickly unscrew the cap, and pour the contents down your throat.

You were smelling this stuff? What are you, nuts! This whiskey is not for smelling or swishing around the mouth or savoying the complex inital taste, aftertaste or afterglow etc. Although I can sip it and enjoy the pungent flavor; I usually just toss the mixture towards the back of my mouth and hope for the best. Old Crow really ain't sipping whiskey.

All the same, I thank you for the review and the brave taste test you undertook. I still have about 1/4 of my bottle and plan on keeping it. It is 3 years old, if I keep it another 5 years it will be 8 year old bourbon. The taste may mellow. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I just can't bring myself to pour good spirits down a drain. It is bad for mankind to do so. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Zeno