PDA

View Full Version : Aces and action.

Entity
05-23-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm running bad in the Party $5/10 and want to make sure I'm not giving too little/too much action. So here's a pretty simple checkup.

PartyPoker $5/10.

Decent playing 2+2er opens from the CO. Loose, aggressive player 3-bets from the Button. I don't have a great read on his postflop play as he hasn't had to showdown too many hands, but he's a 55/13 preflop and seems to push pretty aggressively postflop.

I cap with A/images/graemlins/club.gifA/images/graemlins/diamond.gif from the BB.

Flop is an ugly Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif9/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. I bet, 2+2er calls, Button raises, I 3-bet, 2+2er calls, Button caps.

I feel like that's about the right amount of action on this flop and decide to check and call and see a showdown unless things get really out of control between the 2+2er and the Button (i.e. another /images/graemlins/spade.gif falls, or a Q falls and it goes bet-3bet).

The turn is a 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I check, 2+2er, checks, Button bets, I call, and 2+2er calls. River is the 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif and I check intending to call.

About right? Checkraise the turn?

Rob

Catt
05-23-2005, 04:23 PM
I'd approach it the same way (check-calling it down, but willing to release on a fourth club or continued significant aggression on the turn). I'd be very surprised if the CO doesn't have a spade given that flop action. Also, check your PMs if you haven't already.

Edit: You edited to include play past the flop. I play it the same - I don't think a turn C/R is worthwhile.

Entity
05-23-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd approach it the same way (check-calling it down, but willing to release on a fourth club or continued significant aggression on the turn). I'd be very surprised if the CO doesn't have a spade given that flop action. Also, check your PMs if you haven't already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got your PMs. Thanks. I've restored some of my old datamining DBs and now have about 1,000,000 hands to choose from to help with my table selection in the future. Now I'm just hoping to start running good, sometime soon preferrably. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

Catt
05-23-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm just hoping to start running good, sometime soon preferrably. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In the same boat. I expect (and I think you do/should to, even as good as you are) that we have to pay a price of admission to get a feel for the game (my position) and the level (your and my position).

Entity
05-23-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm just hoping to start running good, sometime soon preferrably. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In the same boat. I expect (and I think you do/should to, even as good as you are) that we have to pay a price of admission to get a feel for the game (my position) and the level (your and my position).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think I'm doing ok as far as the game goes, but variance can be a bitch. I'm up $70 with all of my pocket pairs added together (QQ is my only winner) so far in my first 1500 hands. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wowacedude
05-23-2005, 04:52 PM
FWIW, I play it the same way.

SomethingClever
05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
I play this exactly the same. However, I am also a losing player in the 5/10 currently! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cockandbull
05-23-2005, 05:36 PM
This maynot be the the best way to play these hands...but i'd check the flop and see what happens...i'd c/r a bet from the button and see if 2+2er comes along. If it goes bet/raise...then i'm undecided about the best way to go.

As for your turn check/raise plan i feel that its unlikely your behind so that seems fine.

I'd lead this river, as its unlikely your behind an 9 or a 3, these two cards dont scare me one bit. I'm not too worried about a flush...only hand that sends shivers down my spine is QQ, but i would guess that if you check and call the 2+2er isnt going to overcall with a worse hand and he/she may call you if you bet out, giving you somesort of buffer.

Let me know what you guys think of my thoughts.

Thanks

Harry

Fiddler
05-23-2005, 05:40 PM
I do not like a turn check after a monotone flop. My line would be to call the first flop raise and lead a non spade turn and see what that results in. Even if you get raised you can try to see a showdown for 2BB more. It costs the same as a capped flop and check-calling the rest of the way plus you don't risk any free cards. But I'm probably missing something.

cockandbull
05-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Sorry to bump this...would an experinced HUSH player care to comment on the line i suggested?

deepsquat
05-23-2005, 06:37 PM
I like the flop, i like check/calling the turn but i think we should lead the river here and call a raise.

Button could be playing the flop and turn aggressively with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif or even Qx

I dont want this river checked through.

Catt
05-23-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to bump this...would an experinced HUSH player care to comment on the line i suggested?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I was thinking the same thing since we're all pretty new 5/10 6-max players (though don't know, Fiddler may fit the bill). Could be the blind leading the blind.

And Rob - QQ is my significant loser so far. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

wheelz
05-23-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm not too experienced, but checking the flop here would be awful. On this monotone flop the last thing you want to do is give someone a free card. Besides, who cold caps then checks the flop? You can't really assume someone will bet the flop for you.

Nick Royale
05-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Funny. As a summary, these lines have been suggested this far:

Flop:
bet/call, check/raise
Turn:
Bet/call, check/call, check/raise
River:
Bet/call, check/call, check/raise

Every suggestion motivated with a sound reasoning. Gotta love poker /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cockandbull
05-23-2005, 06:58 PM
While i think checking would be bad normally, you have two aggro villians in the hand and one would prob bet for you if checked. I do understand you point though.

Entity
05-23-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While i think checking would be bad normally, you have two aggro villians in the hand and one would prob bet for you if checked. I do understand you point though.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the flop action there's no way 2+2er is betting, as her hand is almost always something like J/images/graemlins/spade.gifJ/images/graemlins/heart.gif or T/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif, or maybe K/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Button I'm having a harder time reading.

I think I could've bet the turn and called down, but that might be a smidge too much action.

Rob

sweetjazz
05-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Given your read on the button, I think you should be check-raising this turn. There's still a good chance you have the best hand (with the best pot equity). There's also a chance that button has a hand like AQ or KK, and if he doesn't have a spade, then you really put a lot of pressure on the 2+2er to call the turn with a hand like TT. Even if button has AQ or KK and a spade, you're still fine raising, as you get at least the same number of bets in the pot while giving yourself at least 2 more outs to win the pot (if 2+2er has a PP and folds).

You're only behind the spade flush, a set, or a 9. I think it's unlikely button has a 9 unless he has Q9 (or 99), both rather unlikely.

If button 3-bets the turn, then I think you should revert to calling down. Maybe I am misunderstanding your read of the button, but it sure seems like he would play KK and AQ this way, especially if he has a spade to go with it.

I don't play 5/10, but from your description of the button, I think you can push this hand for one more raise before calling down. Of course, you really should just spike an A on the river. That's the truly skillful play. /images/graemlins/grin.gif