PDA

View Full Version : are you overpaid or underpaid?

brick
05-23-2005, 03:45 PM
honesty appreciated.

EDIT: for what you actually do. not compared to averages.

miajag81
05-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Hmm, I'm working 24 hours/week for free, so I'm gonna go with underpaid.

Slow Play Ray
05-23-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
honesty appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

for what i actually do? way overpaid.

*Edit* removed comparison to national average.

Sooga
05-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Well I'm a public schoolteacher in L.A., and hourly-wise, I'd say I'm paid adequately, but we just get clocked so few hours over the year that for my annual salary I'd say I'm severely underpaid.

Asnbabe
05-23-2005, 03:48 PM
overpaid -_- i do nothing at work except post on two+two and surf the web

manpower
05-23-2005, 03:49 PM
What about not payed? I'm checking that box.

DMBFan23
I am probably slightly overpaid to be an engineer.

chaas4747
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

brick
05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
overpaid.

I'm pretty lazy.

namknils
05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
honesty appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say a little underpaid, but not by much.

BusterStacks
05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
nobody is overpaid or underpaid. Was that the goal of this question? It's true.

RunDownHouse
05-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Horribly underpaid, but that's not accounting for future compensation which may or may not be forthcoming. Just one of the things that goes with working for a startup.

brick
05-23-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to make you think.

sfer
05-23-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
honesty appreciated.

EDIT: for what you actually do. not compared to averages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno. I can say with confidence that I would (1) work for less and (2) probably deserve less.

einbert
05-23-2005, 04:05 PM
I play poker. Enough said.

wacki
05-23-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are maybe a dozen people in the state of Indiana that are capable of doing what I do. I do very important life saving cancer research that will make pharmaceutical companies billions of dollars. My buddy, who is a phone man, has almost zero self control and spends most of his days in a warehouse playing solitare while making almost twice my salary.

Homer
05-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Way, way underpaid. Ghetto youth curse at me and call me racist all day. In return, I receive $37,000/yr. I will be doing something else next year.

offTopic
05-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Overpaid. Oh well.

BusterStacks
05-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Perhaps if the demand was higher / supply was lower of people who do your job, you would be paid more. Whether you feel you are overpaid/underpaid is not the issue, but from an economic standpoint, you are paid the correct amount. By "correct amount", I mean an amount that maintains the number of people required to do your job.

TimM
05-23-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By "correct amount", I mean an amount that maintains the number of people required to do your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be true for the average wage paid to a person doing a certain job, but any individual could be getting more or less than average, and especially with respect to the quality, amount, and importance of the work he does compared to the average. You could consider this as narrowly (only people who do your exact job) or as widely (all people who work) as you want.

TimM
05-23-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BusterStacks
05-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Yes, I am immediately discounting job positions that unstable, such as when George Costanza works for the Yankees. Additionally, when dealing with any large sample size, we are of course dealing with some very rare flukes, but for the sake of argument, we will need to speak of groups as a whole, and not say "99.9%".

phage
05-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Wacki,
What do you work on?

wacki
05-23-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps if the demand was higher / supply was lower of people who do your job, you would be paid more. Whether you feel you are overpaid/underpaid is not the issue, but from an economic standpoint, you are paid the correct amount. By "correct amount", I mean an amount that maintains the number of people required to do your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you have a valid point with me as people like me aren't attracted by $$$ but by the project.

However, I wonder if these guys are overpayed.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/04/20/05ceoland.html

But in the end, I think you are right. I should say my job is very rewarding but not very rewarded.

wacki
05-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Also, I think unions artificially drive the pay of certain workers way too high.

webmonarch
05-23-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, one thing that is GREAT about poker is that over time, you get paid exactly what you earn. It's the ultimate meritocracy.

gorie
05-23-2005, 05:30 PM
i want more money so i'm gonna have to say underpaid.
my boss would probably say overpaid, and he likes me.
my job is easy, but stressful mainly because of psycho boss. plus i'm screwed on hours half of the year. i only make about 18k a year and thats counting unemployment i get during slow season... sigh... but the truth is i couldn't find anything better than what i make now because i suck.

wacki
05-23-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i only make about 18k a year and thats counting unemployment i get during slow season... sigh... but the truth is i couldn't find anything better than what i make now because i suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do for a living gorie??

gorie
05-23-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i only make about 18k a year and thats counting unemployment i get during slow season... sigh... but the truth is i couldn't find anything better than what i make now because i suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do for a living gorie??

[/ QUOTE ]
i do production in a professional photography lab... color analyzing and printing mostly.

wacki
05-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Well if you don't mind doing something a little rougher you could be making a lot more. Phonemen make 50K+ a year and get massive benefits.

Supersetoy
05-23-2005, 05:52 PM
I am WAYYY overpaid. It's very nice. I work about 20-30 minutes for every hour, and get to surf the net the rest of the time. (Usually the reason I'm here).

So, for everyone else putting in a tough 40 hours, I am at work for 40 hours, but am doing actual work about 18-22 hours for the week depending on the workload.

gorie
05-23-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well if you don't mind doing something a little rougher you could be making a lot more. Phonemen make 50K+ a year and get massive benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, unfortunately i couldn't see myself doing something like that. i could always finish my associate degree in computer networking too but i can't see myself going that direction either.. i don't know ! ! hopefully i'll figure something out some day.

Klepton
05-23-2005, 05:58 PM
i'm unemployed...pokerwise - way overpaid /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpearsBritney
05-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, after that I sorta space out for an hour.
Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Johnny Richter
05-23-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm overpaid in the sense that I inspect aircraft parts for a major production house and i get paid very well. i'm only 20 with no more than a highschool diploma. So i'm sure there's more qualified people out there to do the job that i do. But i also put in 50 hours a week to earn what i make.

shant
05-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Before I was laid off, definitely overpaid, as proven by getting laid off.

The Stranger
05-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Post deleted by The Stranger

Supersetoy
05-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Treed

daryn
05-23-2005, 07:02 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Way, way underpaid. Ghetto youth curse at me and call me racist all day. In return, I receive $37,000/yr. I will be doing something else next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm interested in this, could you elaborate?

daryn
05-23-2005, 07:05 PM
can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:

Bob Slydell: You see, what we're trying to do is get a feeling for how people spend their time at work so if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Bob Slydell: Great.
Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh - after that I sorta space out for an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't believe you can't read

Boris
05-23-2005, 07:12 PM
compared to where I came from I'm extremely overpaid. Compared to my peers, slightly underpaid.

Homer
05-23-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Teaching HS math in a crappy school district...

antidan444
05-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Gee, let me think ...

Occupation: Sportswriter, rural town of ~40,000 in western Maryland.

Duties: Cover (mainly) high school sports, write some stories, design some pages.

Salary: ~$40,000

Considering what I do and the importance it has in society, if there was a scale from 1 to 100 with 100 being the overpaid side, I am sitting at about 597 right now.

I love my job.

The Stranger
05-23-2005, 08:08 PM
I am grossly overpaid in life. I should be dead or incarcerated. Instead, I work, have friends, have a warm bed to sleep in, and have a nice computer to post with on OOT.

Isn't life sweet?

CCass
05-23-2005, 11:06 PM
For the amount of work I have done since the inception of OOT I am overpaid.

As far as my pay compared to others in a similar position I am underpaid.

So I call it a push.

daryn
05-23-2005, 11:07 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i just meant, why would you get called a racist?

goofball
05-23-2005, 11:07 PM
I don't have a job.

einbert
05-23-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i just meant, why would you get called a racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how long it's been since you went to HS, or if you went to a relatively mixed public HS like I did three years ago, but pretty much every white teacher was called racist by a lot of black kids and pretty much every black teacher was called racist by a lot of white kids.

Clarkmeister
05-23-2005, 11:54 PM
I think the only criteria for this question is would it cost more or less for your employer to replace you than what you currently make.

Sundevils21
05-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Overpaid /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think the only criteria for this question is would it cost more or less for your employer to replace you than what you currently make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, when I think about it like that I'm probably about right. Or maybe I need more. Now I want more.

James Boston
05-24-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about cases where your previous responsibilties get divvied up among a bunch of other people? It cost nothing to replace you, but maybe management realized no one who could do what you did would settle for what you got paid.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Hmmm.... I just got a nice raise and a healthy deposit into my retirement account, so this is interesting. Relative to the general population my age, I may be overpaid. Relative to other people in my proffession and education/experience level, I believe I'm paid a bit above average, but I might be under-utilized - does that make me overpaid? Relative to other people who get paid much more for work I deem to be of less value, I am of course highly underpaid. Relative to what I would be willing to pay someone to do the work that I do, given the knowledge I have of the level of effort it actually takes, I may be overpaid - but you'd have to have a pretty decent education or experience to know that it's that simple, plus you'd need someone to look over your shoulder, so maybe it is all good.

If I were able to find myself sufficient work contracting myself out on my own, I could definitely bring home more cash. Numbers I've seen suggest it's potentially as much as $300k/year (before taxes and benefits - but the wifey gets bennies, so who cares?), but it'd be much more risky and it would be very difficult to keep myself fully employed at that rate for more than a couple months at a time. If I were somehow able to pull that off, I'd definitely be overpaid.

In summary - WTF? I'm making my company a fair amount of money and I'm putting a fair amount of effort into it. It wouldn't be difficult to replace me with a warm body for less, but you'd likely not get much better than me for my pay.

IlliniRyRy
05-24-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

Clarkmeister
05-24-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about cases where your previous responsibilties get divvied up among a bunch of other people? It cost nothing to replace you, but maybe management realized no one who could do what you did would settle for what you got paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me that's a clear case of overpaid. Replaced at no cost. How important could our stuff have been?

kyro
05-24-2005, 12:17 AM
HA, I'm an intern making about $19/hr. Considering everything, I am incredibly fortunate.

James Boston
05-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Have you never seen the scenario I described play out? It's not always about how important your stuff is. If you underprice yourself, and are highly productive, your leaving creates a major problem for management. They realize what it will cost to replace you, and rather than do it, they just spread your old workload among 10 other people. It's a way to save money and it doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on you that they didn't have to replace you.

DemonDeac
05-24-2005, 12:27 AM
not paid

Clarkmeister
05-24-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you never seen the scenario I described play out? It's not always about how important your stuff is. If you underprice yourself, and are highly productive, your leaving creates a major problem for management. They realize what it will cost to replace you, and rather than do it, they just spread your old workload among 10 other people. It's a way to save money and it doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on you that they didn't have to replace you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that scenario doesn't really disqualify my barometer. Whether or not management chooses to hire an individual to replace you, it doesn't preclude us from knowing what it would have cost to do so, right?

Talk2BigSteve
05-24-2005, 12:33 AM
OVERPAID!!!

I work 3 days a week from 7AM to 8PM, I have a 1 hour lunch and 3~15 minutes breaks(Which end up being like 11~4 minutes cigarette breaks, one at the top of each hour)

My Assistant Manager/Dispatcher job consists of having a computer, phone headset, and 2 screens up on my computer. The phone beeps, I say "**Name of Company** this is Steve" "Job Number?" "I have you on site at **Time** have a good day" and I type in "Tech 1234 on site at **Time** CST/ Steve" and go back to surfing the web and playing solitaire. Then they call back and close the job and I talk to the customer ask 4 questions and I type "Tech 1234 called to cls. spk w/ mr. cust sat. no money. no equip. Steve ph# ext# Time" and then I am done.

At most our office handles 2K jobs a day, so with an open and close that is 4K calls a day at max, with 40 people you will start and stop 100 calls per person in a 12 hour period that is 12.5 call an hour.

I have full benifits, medical(primary and secondary), dental, vision, 401K(100% match), 2 weeks of vaction a year, Life insurance, and profit sharing.

I only work 36 hours a week and am paid for 40.

My NET is just shy of $800 a week.

I am WAY OVERPAID!!!

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

James Boston
05-24-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess. My only point was that, with your barometer, underpaid would mean it would cost more to replace you. I was just pointing out that there are ways around replacing an underpaid person with a more costly person...even if the generally accepted consensus of what you are worth is well known.