PDA

View Full Version : 11 The Newbie Chronicles: Am I Ahead?

mdlm
12-10-2002, 05:38 PM
I have come to the tentative conclusion that determining whether I am ahead at the flop is the single most important flop decision. It is far more important than other issues which get much more play on 2+2, such as figuring out when to slow play or whether to bet or check-raise.

I believe that this is the most important decision because small errors in estimating the probability that I am ahead lead to huge errors in estimating the number of outs I have.

An example will serve to illustrate this point. Let’s say that I have an overcard and I think that pairing this overcard is my only way to win. In this case, I have at most three outs. What do I have to worry about? My primary concern is whether or not someone else holds one of my outs. If someone does, then I only have 2 outs. Let’s say that I think there is a 50% chance that someone else has one of my outs. In this case I should play as if I have 2.5 outs (0.5*3 + 0.5*2 = 2.5).

Now imagine that I am way off and in fact there is a 90% chance that someone else has one of my outs. In this case I only have 2.1 outs (0.1*3 + 0.9*2) so I have made an error of only 0.4 outs despite the fact that my estimate was way off (50% vs. 90%). This small error is unlikely to change my play.

Now let’s consider the question of whether or not I am ahead. If I am ahead then the vast majority of the cards in the deck are effectively outs. Let’s say that I think there is a 50% chance that I am ahead and a 50% chance that I need to improve. Furthermore, let’s say that if I am ahead I effectively have 30 outs and if I need to improve I have 3 outs. In this case I have 16.5 outs (0.5*30 + 0.5*3).

Again let’s imagine that I am way off and I actually have a 10% chance of being ahead and a 90% chance of being behind. In this case I have 5.7 outs (0.1*30 + 0.9*3). There is a difference of 10.8 outs (16.5 – 5.7) between this case and the previous case.

Clearly, a difference of 10.8 outs will often be enough to change how I play the hand. Note that even minor errors in estimating the probability of being ahead will lead to large errors in estimating the number of outs.

This is why I believe that estimating the probability of being ahead is by far the most important flop decision. I am amazed that entire books aren’t devoted to analyzing this question.

Here is an example from a recent hand I played:

I see the flop of Ts9h3s along with two other limpers and the BB. I have Kd9d and fold to a bet. The pot is won by a limper with Ad3d. The other limper has KsQc and the BB has 3h7h.

Note that even though I am dominated by KsQc (and hence a K is not an out) and another player has an overcard I still have the best chance to win the hand. Assuming that this is representative of how my opponents play, folding here was a major error caused by my inability to estimate the probability that I am ahead at the flop.

==>
Comments on Comments

Easy E pointed out that I may have been fooled by the Angelina post. That is quite possible. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Nevertheless, the key point is that there is someone who has presented an alternative view of how to play poker and someone who follows this theory seems to be able to beat PP 20/40 with this theory.

Bernie says that the game is not black and white. If all of the information about a game is known, it is definitely black and white (with the exception of the rare cases when two actions have exactly the same EV). Bernie goes on to say that there are many ways to win at hold ‘em. That is certainly true, but I doubt that there are many ways to extract the maximum EV.

Homer Simpson is correct in saying that I am trying to find a way to determine whether a particular play is the best or not. At its most microscopic level, poker is a series of check/fold/bet/raise decisions. If player A says that a bet is the best and player B says that a raise is the best I am interested in finding out how to go about determining who is correct. I understand that the answer will be different in different situations (loose vs. tight, high limit vs. low limit, etc.), but for any particular situation there is a correct answer (again, excluding the rare cases when two decisions have the same EV).

KurnsonofMogh points out that understanding why a play is correct is more important than understanding what the correct play is because understanding the play gives you the power to adapt to different playing conditions. I agree.

Angelo Alba suggests that I study Jones and play low limit games instead of playing funny money no limit tournaments. This is what I will be doing when and if I accomplish my current goals.

==>
Goal Update

This past week, I spent approximately 18.5 hours on poker: 13 hours playing PokerPages tournaments, 5 hours on 2+2, and 0.5 hours reading Jones.

I spent $28.99 on Ciaffone’s Pot Limit book this past week to help me with the PokerPages tournaments. I have spent a total of $438.46 out of my $1000 budget.

An update on each of the four goals (which are to be accomplished by 3/30/03):

1. Read and study Jones’ “Winning Low Limit Hold ’Em”
I put in a little bit of time reading Jones and found my first error. On page 45 of the book Jones discusses MP preflop play with “three or fewer callers in front” and says that you should call with KJ, QJ, and JT. On page 47 Jones discusses LP preflop play with “four or fewer callers in front” and says that KJ, QJ, and JT should be folded. Clearly, if KJ, QJ, and JT are playable in MP with only limpers in front, they are playable in LP with limpers in front. Finding this error is worth one point so I have two more points to go.

2. Beat Acespade
Goal Completed on 11/5/02.
Over a period of 100 hours (3600 hands) I beat Acespade’s best lineup at the rate of over 4 BB/hr.

3. Beat Masque World Series of Poker
Goal Completed on 11/17/02
After playing Masque WSOP dozens of time I finally became the Masque WSOP Champion.

4. PokerPages 85% rating in one calendar month playing 20 tournaments
After starting off this month by finishing second to last in a PokerPages tournament, I put together a string of 6 strong tournaments this past week and my rating is currently 86.51%. I finished #19 out of 109, #5 out of 87, #8 out of 101, #26 out of 126, #20 out of 134, and #3 out of 80.

Homer
12-10-2002, 06:05 PM
A few comments:

1) Acespade in my opinion must be worthless (at least in terms of judging how good of a player you are) if you are able to beat its BEST lineup at a rate of 4 BB's/hr. Either that or you have not spent enough hours playing so as to to make your results statistically significant.

2) I am afraid that you are going to confuse yourself by concentrating on too many forms of the game at once. It seems that you are trying to learn limit, pot-limit, no-limit, ring game play, and tournament play all at once. Your mileage may vary, but personally this would cause great confusion.

3) I'm not sure that I understand why discovering inconsistencies in the poker books is one of your goals. It doesn't seem that this will contribute to you becoming a better poker player. In my mind it is like you are proofreading the book instead of reading it and thinking about the advice contained within.

4) I would suggest that you add the following goal to your list:

- Use the free money offered by Pacific Poker to play 500 hands of .50/1.00 limit hold'em. Select a minimum of 5 questionable hands for discussion in the Small Stakes forum of twoplustwo.

(Approximate time required: 10 hours for playing, 2-3 hrs for posting/responding to suggestions/thinking)

Good luck.

-- Homer

bernie
12-10-2002, 10:09 PM
"If all of the information about a game is known, it is definitely black and white "

this is why your thinking is more geared towards BJ. holdem is never a black and white game. only if you see the other players cards. it is a game of incomplete information. thinking in terms of b & w will get you into some trouble against players who can change gears...again, in a hand, unless you see the other players cards, you will never have all the information you need to play 'perfect'. it's an imperfect game.

you also wont know the exact way to extract max EV. thats another results oriented thought. you can only go with what will 'likely' extract the most...

good luck...

b

pudley4
12-11-2002, 02:19 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
This is why I believe that estimating the probability of being ahead is by far the most important flop decision. I am amazed that entire books aren’t devoted to analyzing this question.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you pay attention to many of the posts here, you'll realize that this question is exactly what we try to figure out. You'll see that when someone responds by saying "You should bet", it might be because a bet (or raise) will help to define your opponents' hand(s).

This knowledge is also why the semi-bluff is such a great play - does the raiser have a made hand? Do they have top pair, great kicker? Do they have middle pair but with a flush draw? A good player can play all 3 of these hands exactly the same way, and you have no way of knowing which hand he has. Good luck figuring out your exact number of outs.

You've read Abdul's site, so you are familiar with his strategy regarding opening hands. You'll see that he deviates from what he considers "max EV" on some hands in order to deceive his opponents. If he limp-raises you before the flop, what does he have? AA or 88? What about AJs? What if the flop comes J 9 3 - is your QQ good? You don't know, and you don't know how many outs you have.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If all of the information about a game is known, it is definitely black and white

[/ QUOTE ]

You will never have all of the information about a game, even if you play with the same players every day for 50 years and you can see their cards. They'll still do things you don't expect.

Remember you are playing against people, most of whom make very irrational, unpredictable decisions at the table. You could deal out the exact same cards 3 times and end up with a different number of players seeing the flop each time.

Also, there are millions of possible scenarios you could encounter at a table. No one can possibly plan ahead for each and every scenario and have a max EV for each one. So while there is a theoretical max EV for each situation, you'd be much better off focusing on general principles and the "big picture" than focusing on minutiae.

Finally, as to your example hand: I think it's a good fold. You have middle pair, good kicker. If the BB bet out, and you are closing the action, you are getting 7-1 on your call. You have 5 outs, which is a little over 8-1, so it's close. However, there are 2 spades on board, so any spade other than the K or 9 could mean you're drawing dead. Even if a non-spade or 9 comes, there are still redraws against you. Finally, if you aren't last to act, it could get raised behind you on the flop. Even though you had the best hand, you made a good fold. If you're a good poker player, you will fold winning hands.

butters
12-12-2002, 11:24 AM
i've seen this mentioned several times in posts, but i went to the pacific website and didn't see it mentioned. is it still being offered and if so, is there something specific i need to do to get it?

Lost Wages
12-12-2002, 12:04 PM
I have come to the tentative conclusion that determining whether I am ahead at the flop is the single most important flop decision.

The most important thing to know on the flop is "What are my chances of winning this hand vs. what are my pot + implied odds". A couple of examples:

1)You are in a loose game in the SB with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif. There are five other players that see the flop. The flop is K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif. You are almost certainly behind. How does that help you play this hand? You easily have the pot odds to continue and your implied odds are tremendous. You should be trying to get as much money into the pot as possible on the flop.

2)There is an EP raiser, two MP callers and you call in the BB with 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif. The flop is 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. There is an excellent you are ahead yet you have almost no chance of winning this hand.

Also, winning the pot does not always mean having the best hand. Example: You raise UTG. Only the BB calls. The flop misses you and the BB checks. You are getting 4:1 pot odds on a bluff to win the pot immediately. The BB may even fold second or bottom pair.

A word of advice. You are wasting your time trying to find some undiscovered secret to winning poker. You remind me of the freshman physics student who doesn't understand calculus but claims that Einstein was wrong. Thousands of people smarter than you have traveled the road that you (and I) are on now. Some of the greatest players of all time have even been so kind as to put the keys to winning poker in a book! Does that mean you shouldn't question what you read? Of course not, that is how you learn. Study, play against some real money opponents, and post some hands.

Lost Wages

Easy E
12-12-2002, 06:33 PM
"I see the flop of Ts9h3s along with two other limpers and the BB. I have Kd9d and fold to a bet. The pot is won by a limper with Ad3d. The other limper has KsQc and the BB has 3h7h.
Note that even though I am dominated by KsQc (and hence a K is not an out) "

Did you mean dominated before the flop? certainly you'd LOVE to see a Kh or Kc after catching that 9... and slap the KQoff around with it.
Assuming a loose game, you should have raised, not folded.