PDA

View Full Version : Humor me

rory
05-23-2005, 01:41 PM
List adjectives describing and tendencies of players you hate playing against. I won't provide my list because that might color the results. It is OK to repeat what other people have said.

SomethingClever
05-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Tenacious
Aggressive
Tricky
Smart
Fearless

SomethingClever
05-23-2005, 01:46 PM
And for fun, the ones I like playing against

Loose
Passive
Retarded
Weak
Scared

EvanJC
05-23-2005, 01:49 PM
i have always had trouble against loose passive, so negative adjectives would be: weak, slow, loose, passive, weak weak

and positive adjectives would be: maniacal, crazy, donk

Fiddler
05-23-2005, 01:54 PM
I want to use a noun. Sponge. A sponge is a player to your left that cold-calls a lot, peels the flop and then bets the turn often enough to be annoying if you check to him. First he soaks up your bets then he spits them back at you. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

rory
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Awesome. Keep it coming guys.

Entity
05-23-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to use a noun. Sponge. A sponge is a player to your left that cold-calls a lot, peels the flop and then bets the turn often enough to be annoying if you check to him. First he soaks up your bets then he spits them back at you. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Great description.

I also have a tough time against thinking LAGs -- those that can be really difficult to put on a hand as they're playing 50%+ of their hands, but ones who can put lots of pressure on you when you're holding marginal hands.

Rob

BottlesOf
05-23-2005, 02:10 PM
good.

tricky.

pizzwner.

Wynton
05-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Unpredictable
Erratic

Alobar
05-23-2005, 02:12 PM
tight

thats the only one

Dov
05-23-2005, 02:22 PM
It's interesting, but I like playing against good and bad players alike, depending on my mood. The ones that really get me are:

Obnoxious
Rude
Glass Tapping
Fun Killing
Rule Stickler (in home games)
Know it All

I know there are others, but I can't think of them right now.

Ryno
05-23-2005, 03:00 PM
I know it's outside the scope of your question, but my answer would be "people who can't afford to lose what they have in front of them."

In terms of playing styles, tight-passive (i.e. "weak-tight" or "rock") would be the worst. They need cards to beat me, but when they are catching and I'm not, I feel like a moron for giving them so much bluff/semibluff action. They are the only threat to my equanimity.

LAGs used to be troublesome but you can beat them with math, at least in limit poker.

cartman
05-23-2005, 03:19 PM
aggressive (particularly lots of preflop raising)
tricky (frequently check-raises the turn or the river HU)

Bluffoon
05-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Tricky
Observant
Relentless
Prudent
Knowledgable
Unflappable

naphand
05-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Lucky

BreakEvenPlayer
05-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Not an adjective but I hate consistent triple donkbettors.

McGahee
05-23-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate these players as well. That feeling of getting bluffed bothers me more than it should, and I call them down too often I think.
And on the rare occasion I try to mix up my game and exploit this tendancy of theirs by going for a turn C/R (aka HEPFAP's bet flop/check turn w/ a made hand suggestion), they of course chose that one time to check behind. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

McGahee
05-23-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate these players as well. That feeling of getting bluffed bothers me more than it should, and I call them down too often I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I'm quoting myself.
This got me to thinking...
Is it ever a good idea to check/call the river with an unpaired A high? If you don't want to check/fold it's better just to donkbet it, right?

SomethingClever
05-23-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

7ontheline
05-23-2005, 04:31 PM
I hate players who won't shut up in chat and slow the game down. Also people who feel that it is necessary to call everyone a [censored] if they lose a pot.

In terms of players that give me trouble - probably the thinking LAG who isn't a maniac but is capable of bluff-checkraising.

Scotch78
05-23-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
probably the thinking LAG who isn't a maniac but is capable of bluff-checkraising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into one of those today. I bet the flop and turn with bottom set. On the river he check-raised me, hesitated for about 10 seconds, then capped it and showed a busted K-high flush draw.

Scott

wheelz
05-23-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it ever a good idea to check/call the river with an unpaired A high? If you don't want to check/fold it's better just to donkbet it, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

When inducing bluffs. If you bet your ace high worse hands won't usually call, but some players will bluff a worse hand/busted draw so you can check/call and get an extra bet.

wheelz
05-23-2005, 06:48 PM
I don't know that that LAG can be classified as "thinking"

Well, I mean, he's thinking, but not doing a good job of it.

StellarWind
05-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Aggressive - I love playing passive players.

Abusive - Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. Good players who abuse bad players not only ruin the games, they are morally and ethically repulsive. Bad players are paying for entertainment. That someone would accept a good income playing poker and not even have the decency to be nice to his customers is disgusting.

7ontheline
05-24-2005, 02:11 AM
After tonight's session, I hate lucky f*cking LAGs who keep betting into me and then going runner-runner on me for MY DAMN POT!!! They're stealing from me!

Robk
05-24-2005, 02:27 AM
my thoughts exactly. i cant believe no one else even included it as part of their list.

Nigel
05-24-2005, 02:44 AM
Has anyone written the defnitive strategy on defeating the sponge? My CR attempts always whiff on these guys as well.

Even worse is the LAG sponge, who alternates between calling with nothing bluffing with nothing and raising with nothing, yet always has something better than you.

Nigel

wheelz
05-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Yes, that's the one. LAG sponges are my biggest enemy.

PokerBob
05-24-2005, 02:58 AM
good

Grisgra
05-24-2005, 03:20 AM
Lucky.

Not sure how much that's going to help /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

imported_CaseClosed326
05-24-2005, 03:23 AM
cocky
talkative (a word/adj?)
and adj that means better than me
naked

einbert
05-24-2005, 04:02 AM
Thinking
Tight
Patient
Brilliant

ClaytonN
05-24-2005, 04:06 AM
Smart sLAG floaters that always call two bets cold preflop and sit to your immediate left

Damn them!

ipp147
05-24-2005, 07:57 AM
The only word in both sets is unpredictable

To my right
aggressive
good postflop
thinking
unpredictable

To my left
Floaters (will cold call two and start giving odds to the blinds to defend with a much wider range and for people to come in behind and cold call with less)
unpredictable
passive postflop

MAxx
05-24-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Smart sLAG floaters that always call two bets cold preflop and sit to your immediate left

Damn them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there really such a thing as a smart floater? I have yet to bump into a floater that I disliked.

IndianOcean
05-28-2005, 12:49 AM
I don't like Playing against Rory..

Hey man. it's Ocean.

nice to meet you on-line..