PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is hooking up?

Ulysses
05-23-2005, 01:15 PM
From time to time, posts here mention "hooking up" with girls. When you read/write that phrase, what do you mean? Which of the following things occurring qualifies as "hooking up" to you? Pick the one that is the least amount of contact that qualifies.

miajag81
05-23-2005, 01:16 PM
"Hooking up" is anything more than kissing but less than actual sexual intercourse.

Yeti
05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
hook-up
v.

1. To hotwire.

IndieMatty
05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Anything less then full make out - some hands on naughty parts and/or, lieing vertical together should not be called "hooking up".

fluxrad
05-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Meh. screw it.

Hooking up is whatever.

CallMeIshmael
05-23-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Hooking up" is anything more than kissing but less than actual sexual intercourse.

[/ QUOTE ]

slickpoppa
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything less then full make out - some hands on naughty parts and/or, lieing vertical together should not be called "hooking up".

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything less than full make out?

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Thank you for not putting handjob on there.

IndieMatty
05-23-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything less than full make out?

[/ QUOTE ]--should not be called hooking up.

I guess I didn't explain my self well.

Hooking up is, full make out + hands on naughty parts and/or a vertical position.

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anything less then full make out - some hands on naughty parts and/or, lieing vertical together - should not be called "hooking up".

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I correct in adding the second hyphen for clarity? Without it, I am confused (tired, maybe thats why...)

PokerFink
05-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Highschool definition: kissing that includes tongue

College definition: generally sex and/or oral sex

I guess you could say that hardcore making out, with touching, could constitute hooking up. But seriously, if you're making out with a girl with clothes off and you don't atleast get head, that's lame. No one wants blue balls.

ChoicestHops
05-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Hooking up is making out. It does not include oral or intercourse.

IndieMatty
05-23-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anything less then full make out - some hands on naughty parts and/or, lieing vertical together - should not be called "hooking up".

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I correct in adding the second hyphen for clarity? Without it, I am confused (tired, maybe thats why...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I write sucky. Especially on here, I have no idea.

You guys get what I mean.

More then making out less then intercourse. It could be just hardcore its for an extended period of time.

Oh whatever, what do I know, I just bang baby.

slickpoppa
05-23-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. It definitely includes oral, and possibly intercourse.

durron597
05-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I think it depends on the consensus of your group of friends (though I suppose that is what Diablo is trying to garner by posting this in OOT....)

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. At the very least a handjob. Making out does NOT constitute hooking up.

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If it were included, I think it would be the correct answer. I think it's the minimum that one could call a hookup.

slickpoppa
05-23-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was that making out is the starting point of hooking up, but that it can also include oral sex.

Ulysses
05-23-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If it were included, I think it would be the correct answer. I think it's the minimum that one could call a hookup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Handjob, along with various other touching/kissing/licking activities, falls into the category between making out and oral sex.

Ulysses
05-23-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was that making out is the starting point of hooking up, but that it can also include oral sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, what you pick in the poll above is just the minimum criteria for you to agree "yeah, you hooked up w/ her" when someone says to you "I hooked up w/ this chick." Obviously, people can strive to achieve more than the minimum.

knifeandfork
05-23-2005, 01:45 PM
this phrase got me in trouble once. i came home and my recently exed gf asked me what i had been doing i told her "watching a movie with a friend". she asked if that was all and i said that me and the other girl had "hooked up". the next night the ex sex is on. and when she asked if i had slept with the other girl and i responded "yeah i already told you that". she went semi ballistic probably cost me a decent amount of ex sex but oh well i shouldnt be so honest.... silly post i guess but semi relevant..

sam h
05-23-2005, 01:48 PM
The obvious answer for adults is the one between making out and oral sex. Making out happens a lot at clubs and bars and is not itself sufficient.

But there's a good case to be made that this term is all relative to how old you are. In high school, making out was deemed hooking up. But maybe that was just wishful thinking.

ClaytonN
05-23-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ulysses
05-23-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on the consensus of your group of friends (though I suppose that is what Diablo is trying to garner by posting this in OOT....)

[/ QUOTE ]

When speaking with friends, it can sometimes mean making out and sometimes mean sex, but it's usually very clear from the context and the people involved.

Here, however, where I don't know the people involved, I read "I hooked up w/ this chick" in a number of posts and feel like it often means very different things. In terms of understanding a story and situation, it definitely makes a difference whether someone made out with a chick or had sex with her. Sometimes which of those two things happened is very unclear after reading some posts.

I was wondering if there was some sort of concensus among posters here, but apparently not really.

As an example, I read this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2459576&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) by ChoicestHops and just assumed that he had sex with this girl. Now I read Hooking up is making out. It does not include oral or intercourse. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2460278&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) from him and it makes his initial post a totally different story.

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are worthless?

Zeno
Terms must change. The older crowd meaning for 'hooking up' simply meant that you would meet up with a girl/woman later on - From very informal meeting to a date - nothing implied beyond that. As in, for example 'we will hook up later on at Kelly's bar, they have great Jazz on saturday'.

-Old Man Zeno

mmbt0ne
I appreciate your attempt to define an ambiguous term more concretely, but dammit, the only way I want to hear about hooking up from you right now is in your Petra trip report.

ClaytonN
05-23-2005, 01:56 PM
In all honesty when I first saw this thread I thought El D's motives were to further clarify just how far he went with Petra /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Duke
05-23-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When speaking with friends, it can sometimes mean making out and sometimes mean sex, but it's usually very clear from the context and the people involved.

Here, however, where I don't know the people involved, I read "I hooked up w/ this chick" in a number of posts and feel like it often means very different things. In terms of understanding a story and situation, it definitely makes a difference whether someone made out with a chick or had sex with her. Sometimes which of those two things happened is very unclear after reading some posts.

I was wondering if there was some sort of concensus among posters here, but apparently not really.

As an example, I read this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2459576&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) by ChoicestHops and just assumed that he had sex with this girl. Now I read Hooking up is making out. It does not include oral or intercourse. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2460278&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) from him and it makes his initial post a totally different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how old you are, I think. If you didn't bang her you didn't hook up in my book. If I were 12 I think that making out might count.

~D

BottlesOf
05-23-2005, 02:04 PM
The results of your poll are correct.

offTopic
05-23-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From time to time, posts here mention "hooking up" with girls. When you read/write that phrase, what do you mean? Which of the following things occurring qualifies as "hooking up" to you? Pick the one that is the least amount of contact that qualifies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to select the proper verb to describe your level of interaction with Ms. Nemcova?

Edit: Goddammit - didn't read the whole thread. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

scrub
05-23-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how old you are, I think. If you didn't bang her you didn't hook up in my book. If I were 12 I think that making out might count.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a lot of women in the 23-27 range who are less likely to have casual intercourse than they were in college.

In the low-trust context of many bar scenes, going home with someone and trying to get each other off ought to constitute "hooking up," at least in the context of a guy letting his friend know pertinent information a girl.

scrub

Boris
05-23-2005, 03:24 PM
I thought you were doing tsunami relief in Thailand.

EliteNinja
05-23-2005, 04:32 PM
something something pooper

B00T
05-23-2005, 04:57 PM
It mainly depends the context of how it was used. It can be assumed the following.

Case1
*In talking with your little whore friend*
Whore: "OMG I was so wasted and I hooked up with 3 guys at the bar!"
You: "Did you get any of their numbers?"
Whore: "LOL I didnt even ask!"
This is the example of what is leading the poll, any deep kissing or excessive groping (even in public).

Case2
*Talking to your roommate or friend*
Friend: "Yo dude, I hung out with Melissa last night she came over and cooked me dinner and then we watched a movie"
You: "Nice man, did you hook up with her?"
Friend: "Yea we barely watched the movie she gave me some killer head and left at 3AM but she didnt let me stick it in her pooper."

Context of "hooking up" depends on the actions before or after the phrase is used.

Slow Play Ray
05-23-2005, 05:15 PM
nevermind. bad joke.

tpir90036
05-23-2005, 05:18 PM
When my friends and I discuss a "hook-up" that has occurred.... It is assumed that making out took place. That is always the starting point before asking about how much clothing was removed and who did what with whose genitals. Weak kissing is definitely not enough.

ucfryan
05-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Making out is making out, groping is groping, hooking up is [censored].

Klepton
05-23-2005, 06:06 PM
in my experience it is usually when a guy didn't have sex with the girl, but doesn't want to tell his friends that.

"hey how did it go with that girl last night"
"we got back to her place and hooked up."
"so what's that mean, sex, head, nothing?"
"we hooked up. end of story."

but yes, the results of your poll are correct.

drexah
05-23-2005, 06:09 PM
good post, diablo. personally, 'hooking' up with a girl for me at minimum is making out. if it's just some like random make out with a girl who isnt that hot, then i wont really tell anyone or consider it a hook up. this past weekend, i made out with a girl who i really like, at my friend's party. it was very short, as we were interrupted, and right after she had to leave. i consider that a hook up. basically anything involving the tounge, and anything that had any meaning to it whatsoever. usually when i have sex with a girl i dont just say ' i hooked up with her ' ill just say i f****d her.

drexah
05-23-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree fully.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister
05-23-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you didn't bang her you didn't hook up in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

gorie
05-23-2005, 11:59 PM
i wanna hook up

Michael Davis
05-24-2005, 12:02 AM
I have never heard the term hookup without assuming intercourse.

-Michael

James Boston
05-24-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if a chick gave you a hummer, and the next day your buddy asks you "Did you hook up with that chick last night?"...you're saying no?

bump
05-24-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i wanna hook up

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, does this mean that you want it in your pooper?

gorie
05-24-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i wanna hook up

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, does this mean that you want it in your pooper?

[/ QUOTE ]

no i'm saving that for someone special.

Clarkmeister
05-24-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if a chick gave you a hummer, and the next day your buddy asks you "Did you hook up with that chick last night?"...you're saying no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying "no, but I got a hummer."

[censored]
05-24-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never heard the term hookup without assuming intercourse.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a kid it could mean a variety of things, but I think once you reach the age of about 22 hooking = sex and nothing less, but I could buy getting a full blow job as counting as well. Thus Bill Clinton hooked up with Monica Lewinsky in the oval office.

brassnuts
05-24-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but it's usually very clear from the context and the people involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably the case for most people. I voted for "full on making out." This is the minimum qualifier for hooking up.

SGS
05-24-2005, 02:01 AM
You can make out with girls in a bar, in front of tons of people. This is why I would say that this is not hooking up. There must be more going on than just making out for me to say that I hooked up with a girl.

SGS

blaze666
05-24-2005, 02:04 AM
wow, it took THAT long for someone to say that? i was wondering when it was going to pop up. it never gets old.

Clarkmeister
05-24-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can make out with girls in a bar, in front of tons of people. This is why I would say that this is not hooking up. There must be more going on than just making out for me to say that I hooked up with a girl.

SGS

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, it is why "making out" and "hooking up" are clearly not synonyms.

ZeeJustin
05-24-2005, 02:08 AM
Full-on Making Out is borderline IMO, but anything more is definately hooking up. A ten second perio of making out in front of other people probably doesn't count as hooking up, but just kissing can be enough.

The people that say sex does not count as hooking up are crazy.

"I hooked up with this hot girl last night."
"Oh yeah? What happened."
"Yada yada yada, then I [censored] her doggy style."
"Are you crazy? That doesn't count as hooking up."

I think I've proven my point. Sex counts as hooking up 100% of the time.

Ulysses
05-24-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i wanna hook up

[/ QUOTE ]

Pics?

Robk
05-24-2005, 02:12 AM
in my experience. when a guy says "we hooked up" its purposefully vague. people say it when they were in a sexual situation that didnt go as far as they wanted it to. and they dont want to admit that so instead of giving specifics they leave it up to the other persons imagination hoping theyll assume more happened than actually did. if a guy [censored] someeone hes going to say that. or if he got head. but if there was 10 minutes of awkward kissing and groping, or nothing at at all hes going to say he hooked up. or another common use is by guys whove been with a girl they think they should have [censored] already but havent.

when girls say this i have no idea what it means, but thats not unusual.

CardSharpCook
05-24-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
in my experience. when a guy says "we hooked up" its purposefully vague. people say it when they were in a sexual situation that didnt go as far as they wanted it to. and they dont want to admit that so instead of giving specifics they leave it up to the other persons imagination hoping theyll assume more happened than actually did. if a guy [censored] someeone hes going to say that. or if he got head. but if there was 10 minutes of awkward kissing and groping, or nothing at at all hes going to say he hooked up. or another common use is by guys whove been with a girl they think they should have [censored] already but havent.

when girls say this i have no idea what it means, but thats not unusual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post of the Thread

JoeC
05-24-2005, 03:08 AM
I got the hook up holla if you hear me (ughhhhhh)(8x)

[master p]

I live my life as a thug but girl you know I need ya
Each and ever women that I meet damn they don’t wanna be ya
It ain’t no limit to what we could do
Holla if ya hear me girl you know I’m comin’ through
I’m out here on the grind livin’ my life fast
And if you really love me lay some blankets on the grass
I know the way I live make you wanna cry
But you know I gotta hustle that’s the way I survive
It ain’t no changin’ me but me and you could make it
Let’s fix a plate of ghetto love with grits eggs and bacon
Let me wipe away your ghetto tears misery and pain
All you need is a passport I got the hookup and a private plane

(chorus)
Don’t wanna go on livin’ without you
I got the hook up holla if you hear me (ughhhhhh)
And if we say bye bye bye then take my heart with you
Can we go on livin’ without you

[sons of funk]

For a while tears are all that we shared our love was fading so fast
Was right now is wrong gaining fast baby
In the night I sat alone wanting you crying out for you
Wondering who’s loving you baby
Something happened along the way the love that we shared has gone away
We tried and tried for a better day for that day girl I pray

Holla if you hear me (ughhhhhh)(3x)
I love you ohhhhhhh holla if you hear me
And if we say bye bye bye bye

[master p and sons of funk]

Don’t wanna be lonely I don’t wanna be lonely (holla if you hear me)
Ya heard me I ain’t tryin’ to be lonely (don’t wanna be lonely)
Cuz you know what everybody needs somebody (with or without you)
And I’m a thug for you girl the thug in me
Go put your soldier outfit on let’s go to war tonight ya heard me
Don’t wanna be lonely I don’t wanna be lonely sons of funk ya hear me

Holla if you heard me ughhhh master p sons of funk sons of funk

{said during chorus}
Holla if you heard me ughhhh master p sons of funk sons of funk
Y’all know how we do it no limit stlye baby told y’all it was no limit
Was up with you shorty you’re too cute to have them hittin’ on you
You heard me you need me here goes my cellular phone number
Just call me if you need the hook up girl we gone handle that