PDA

View Full Version : Trying to loosen up on the flop

spacemonkey57
05-23-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm a huge weak-tight wussy. I'm trying to break out of this pattern though. Here are some hands I played today that I decided to peel one off on the flop. How are these flop calls?

#1. 9-1 with a backdoor flush draw and an overcard. Is it OK to take a card here?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

#2 I think I could have raised here, but I don't think it's a fold.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BOWC_75 checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, BOWC_75 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

#3 Backdoor flush draw and an overcard getting 8-1. This one may be a little loose.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

gopnik
05-23-2005, 01:11 PM
I'd fold first flop, it totally missed you. I am raising the second. Third one I'd call.

gharp
05-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Hand 1 I'm not sure I'd call, but I don't hate it since you're closing the action and have good relative position on later streets.

Hand 2 I play the same. SB's flop c/r would make me think he has a big overpair here pretty often (or maybe even JJ) so I'd be pretty cautious on the turn.

Hand 3 I would call or maybe raise to try for a free card.

(Edit b/c I misread hand 3 first time through...)

Ringo_Mojo
05-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Hand 1 - I'd fold this. The pot is pretty small. You've only got one over card, and your kicker is weak so you could easily hit it and still loose. The backdoor straight and flush draws don't make up for this.

Hand 2 - Most likely you're up against a big pocket pair (or two) here. The pot is fairly large so your pot odds are good even calling two bets. Raising won't put either of these guys outta the pot so I'd call, then fold the turn unimproved.

Hand 3 - Same situation as Hand 1, but now you've got a good kicker so I'd call here.

AmarilloJim1
05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
In the first hand, the pot is laying you 9:1, so because you have 3 outs, (1.5 for the backdoor flush, and 1.5 for the 3 aces...since these are partial outs)you can make the call.

However, someone could have QJ or four to a broadway straight. Kind of a dangerous board.

- Jim

deception5
05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Haven't seem other responses...

1.) I'd fold this flop. You have an overcard a backdoor flush and a double gutshot. These are really too weak to be paying any more for. If you had A5 it would be another story.

2.) Calling here is too weak in my opinion. If you want to stay in here, raise. Take the free card on the turn if offered (assuming you don't improve) and call the river bet.

3.) A clear fold imo. You don't have even overcards here and while the small blind may be better with a pair of 4's you could easily improve and lose this pot. And the amount of money you'll spend hoping to improve here will offset the few times you win.

deception5
05-23-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the first hand, the pot is laying you 9:1, so because you have 3 outs, (1.5 for the backdoor flush, and 1.5 for the 3 aces...since these are partial outs)you can make the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with 3 outs you'd want about 1:16 to see the turn.

SocialWelfareIV
05-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I think you've got to take one off in hand 3. With the back door straight draws, as many as 28 cards that you can catch on the turn will improve you and allow you to reevaluate there.

AmarilloJim1
05-23-2005, 04:22 PM
I miscounted because there is also a backdoor straight, so I guess there are 4.5 outs. I was referring to the chart in HFAP for 3 outs on the flop it says 7:1. Am I mistaken...where did you get 16?

Thanks,

- Jim

gharp
05-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Sounds like you're looking at the odds with two cards to come. You're 7:1 to make it by the river, but only 14.3:1 by the turn.