PDA

View Full Version : Most Horrific Sports Imagery

ripdog
05-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Thought about this over the weekend a bit. I think that the "gold standard" for really disturbing imagery is the super-slo-mo of Theisman breaking his leg against the Giants.

What I find even more distubing are the videos of pitchers breaking their arms during the delivery of a pitch. The follow through is hideous. The arm unnaturally wraps around the back and the pitcher falls to the ground screaming. Then they show video of his comeback attempt where it happens all over again. I think I'm gonna be sick...

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he super-slo-mo of Theisman breaking his leg

[/ QUOTE ]

Only thing I thought of when reading the post title.

There is some great stuff on skateboarding videos as well, but I don't think OOT think of it as much of a "sport."

Pocket Trips
05-23-2005, 11:11 AM
This thread begins and ends with Theisman, But an honorable mention goes to Dave Davecky and his arm breaking mid-pitch.

BreakfastBurrito
05-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Was there a good close up of Robin Ventura breaking his leg? I remember the ump turning away in horror but not seeing the leg actually twist backwards.

Macdaddy Warsaw
05-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Assuming that kickboxing video was real, there's that one where a guy gets kicked in the leg and it just snaps under his weight. I could never watch that without reeling.

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Any women's boxing. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

miajag81
05-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Musa Smith getting his leg broken last year was pretty sick, obviously nothing near Theismann though.

DrPublo
05-23-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread begins and ends with Bryce Florie

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Getting hit in the cheek/eye with a line drive was horrible, and there is a lot of footage of it in slo-mo.

The Doc

mackthefork
05-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Fred Archers injury was far worse than these.

Mack

ddollevoet
05-23-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he super-slo-mo of Theisman breaking his leg

[/ QUOTE ]

Only thing I thought of when reading the post title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger15SB
05-23-2005, 11:48 AM
where is that picture of the guy fracturing his leg in soccer in england.

That owns everything ever.

augie00
05-23-2005, 11:51 AM
If that horse who tripped during Preakness yesterday had fallen down that would have been pretty horrific. Can't say I'd enjoy seeing a horse and jockey getting trampled to death live on national television.

greg nice
05-23-2005, 11:55 AM
this thread is worthless without links

Dex
05-23-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this thread is worthless without links

[/ QUOTE ]

beat me to it

tbach24
05-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Rudy T getting clobbered

Clarkmeister
05-23-2005, 11:58 AM
I have three nominations.

1. Don Denkinger's call in the 1985 World Series.
2. Raymond Felton's bail-out 3pter with 2 guys draped on him 5 feet past the arc with about 3:00 to go and no time on the shot clock in the 2005 NCAA Men's Basketball Title Game.
3. Hugh Hollins' horrific call of a foul on Pippen with 2 secs in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals to stop the Bulls from getting a 4-peat.

heavybody
05-23-2005, 11:58 AM
In 1999 Greg Moore was killed in a crash at the Marlboro 500 at Fontana,California...Iwas watching the race and the minute the crash happened I thought there was no way he could survive, it was horrific...and if I'm not mistaken no replays(or very few) of the crash were aired which i thought was appropriate.

andyfox
05-23-2005, 12:28 PM
No, not one of his dirty deeds during his playing days. And it's not really a sports image. But there was a piece on him and his wife on ESPN over the weekend that was quite moving, at least to me. His wife broke her neck in a freak fall out of a hammock and the family's life has become a kind of living hell physically, economically and emotionally. Whatever "sins" Dobler committed in the NFL, he has certainly now "paid" for them.

Count your blessings.

Aces McGee
05-23-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I find even more distubing are the videos of pitchers breaking their arms during the delivery of a pitch. The follow through is hideous. The arm unnaturally wraps around the back and the pitcher falls to the ground screaming. Then they show video of his comeback attempt where it happens all over again. I think I'm gonna be sick...

[/ QUOTE ]

The sound is a lot worse than the pictures.

-McGee

M2d
05-23-2005, 12:36 PM
No one watched Kobe play this year, huh?

kerssens
05-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Seahawks preseason sometime around 1992. Reggie Barrett stepped on the football while running and tore up his leg. Even today, whenever anybody comes close to stepping on a ball in any sport, my friends call it a "Reggie Barrett"

kerssens
05-23-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The sound is a lot worse than the pictures.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to an opposing outfielder during a softball game once. He tried to throw the ball back in and it only went about 20 ft and he dropped to the ground. It sucked.

private joker
05-23-2005, 12:40 PM
The only image more horrific than Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario...

http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos/150x200/190008.jpg

is a revealing shot of Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario. Horrifying!!!
http://krant.telegraaf.nl/krant/actueel/atlanta/fotos/spo.atlanta.foto20.jpg

ripdog
05-23-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Count your blessings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good addition. One of our oldest friends who just had her first child last Monday, called Sunday with an update. Docs said her daughter had pneumonia initially, then her condition worsened. She was transferred to a larger hospital and they immediately found a congenital heart defect. She will be transferred to Children's Hospital in Seattle shortly where they will assess the chances of a relatively minor heart surgery being successful. If not, she'll be flown to a hospital in CA where they will do a radical surgery that has "been done before and some of the children survived". As I sat and listened to her, I thought about my healthy 9 month old son. My gut feeling is that the baby will not survive and I don't know how she'll be able to pick up the pieces. Or what I could possibly say to her that would be meaningful in any way.

Oski
05-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Nobody remembers this?

[ QUOTE ]
Clint Malarchuk is best remembered for a near-death experience on the ice, but a grisly neck injury is only part of the story of former Sabres goaltender

People near and far recall when Clint Malarchuk nearly died in his Buffalo Sabres sweater.

His throat, carved open by a skate, spewed blood. The Memorial Auditorium ice turned crimson, leaving the mortified crowd to assume the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy was squirting blood all over the ice. There was a huge, HUGE puddle of blood within seconds of this.

youtalkfunny
05-23-2005, 02:37 PM
No one mentioned Jason Kendall with his shoe on backwards, with his foot in it.

Ever see the Mariner Moose's broken leg? Dude was on rollerblades in his mascot costume, being towed by a cart or something, like he was waterskiing across the outfield. He dropped the rope in centerfield, and coasted, at high speed, toward the centerfield wall.

He tried to stop the way I used to when rollerskating was a disco fad--by letting his toes hit the wall. Unfortunately for him, he was traveling about 10-times as fast as I ever skated.

So he's lying there with a broken leg, probably screaming in pain for help, but he's way out in centerfield. He's wearing a mascot costume, which muffles his cries, and displays a huge grin. He was out there for a while before somebody finally decided to go check on him.

kerssens
05-23-2005, 02:40 PM
I was at that game, everyone laughed until someone said.."is he really hurt?" I once saw him prematurely take his head off as he was heading into the Mariners clubhouse, must be damn hot in those costumes.

istewart
05-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Yes, how has nobody mentioned Jason Kendall? His foot literally fell off his leg running down to first.

LT certainly crushed Joe though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

meep_42
05-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Seriously, the LT thing is overplayed, i'm quite desensitized to it.

Malarchuk, Kendall, Ventura, and Saunders (the Devil ray whose upper arm broke TWICE when throwing a pitch) are way up there on my list.

-d