PDA

View Full Version : Murder, incest, revenge, suicide... oh wait its just a Hamlet Movie

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 10:37 AM
2000 remake with Ethan Hawke, Julia Stiles, Bill Murray.

It was pretty interesting. Adapted fairly well to modern day but still maintains Shakespeare's language. Drastic writer/director choice at the end that I think blows some of the drama of the original.

Incorporates a ton of technology and multimedia which worked for the most part. Probably more interesting for me since I just completed a 20 min short using an adapted Hamlet screenplay.

I'd recommend a rent if you're into this type of thing. I think it's intersting/strange the amount of publicity that Romeo and Juliet recieved when MTV released their "version" while I don't remember even seeing a trailer/preview for this...

Dr. Strangelove
05-23-2005, 10:45 AM
I liked it.

bump
05-23-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It was pretty interesting. Adapted fairly well to modern day but still maintains Shakespeare's language. Drastic writer/director choice at the end that I think blows some of the drama of the original.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen it. But I bet everyone dies in the end...

Anyway you think Hamlet is crazy then you should read the epic with Murder, Greed, Sex, Miracles, Plagues, Torture, Slavery, War... Be careful though, some people get too into the story and let it change their lives.

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I haven't seen it. But I don't like Ethan Hawke, and I hate Julia Styles. Plus I don't care for the modernization with the Shakespearian langauge thing.

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway you think Hamlet is crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just trying to come up with a catchy post title... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But I don't like Ethan Hawke, and I hate Julia Styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ethan Hawke plays his usual moody self and is a pretty one-dimensional Hamlet. He lacks an insanity edge which I think is mandatory. What he does, I think he does well however.

Stiles, who I normally dislike, does a surprisingly good job. I was impressed.

Sponger15SB
05-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Which one is better, the modern day remake of Romeo and Juliet, or this one?

Romeo and Juliet was so horrible, I also killed myself at the end.

shadow29
05-23-2005, 11:54 AM
kenneth branagh = way better

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

kenneth branagh = way better

[/ QUOTE ]

Actor, director, screenplay writer, what?

One is a 4 hour movie that attempts to be as accurate as possible, the other is a modern day remake. They are barely in the same ballpark.

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Depends. What did you dislike about the R&J?

If you have no problem with Shakespearean language and are familiar with the play, it is definetly worth a rent.

If you are not familiar with the play, but don't mind the language, it would probably still be entertaining.

It does not try any of the weird/artsy/"mtv" moments that the R&J did; I think it tries pretty hard to just move the story to modern day- The King of Denmark is now the CEO of Denmark Co, Elsinore Castle is now Elsinore Aptmts in Manhattan, etc.