PDA

View Full Version : basic question

chopchoi
05-23-2005, 09:41 AM
when I'm BB, how small of a stack do I need to call a bet that puts me all in with any 2 cards?

microbet
05-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Too general of a question. It depends on other stack sizes, especially if you are on the bubble and how many people are in the pot before you and somewhat on the positions and aggressiveness of the people who have entered the pot.

A lot of times the answer will be about <=3BB before posting.

Bco1/75
05-23-2005, 10:55 AM
When it gets late, you should be looking for a quality hand >A10s when your stack is <10x bb. As the previous poster said, it depends on position and what has happened prior to action falling to you.

starvs
05-23-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When it gets late, you should be looking for a quality hand >A10s when your stack is <10x bb. As the previous poster said, it depends on position and what has happened prior to action falling to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'm pretty bad, but with <10BB isn't waiting for something better than AT way to tight? Shouldnt someone with <10BB be pushing strong kings and even queens when folded to on the button, in many cases?

-starvs

microbet
05-23-2005, 12:54 PM
This is getting way too general. The OP was talking about calling an allin not pushing.

If you want one post that covers when to push, you want too much, but the closest you'll get is Aleomagus's guide.

Phill S
05-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Yes, remember the gap concept.

For calling, its a broad question with a broad answer if you want something specific - its very xyz, as apose to abc - but 3BBs isnt far off correct if you want a general rule of thumb.

Unfortunately, the old poker addage of "it depends" applys in force here.

Phill

Newt_Buggs
05-23-2005, 01:53 PM
here, I'll give your post a boost:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1790)
UTG (t5150)
Button (t860)
SB (t2200)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t860 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero?

pooh74
05-23-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
here, I'll give your post a boost:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1790)
UTG (t5150)
Button (t860)
SB (t2200)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t860 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold...but its tough bc your seated just right of big stack.

In any regard, id fold and push any two if folded to me next hand.

Phill S
05-23-2005, 02:10 PM
I fold that.

Heres the way i look at pot odds calls. I only make them when I need to make them.

Here, your calling the shortstack when behind. Your giving him at least 60% shot to overtake you (he may do this with any two, but he doesnt have to be doing it with any two here). Why make him a fave to double.

If you fold, stacks are:
Hero: (1490)
UTG (t5150)
Button (t1310)
SB (t2050)

This makes things closer, but im certainly not calling here the key is:

Your not forced into calling

-----

The only time i make the pot odds call is when im the shortstack.

If you had:

Hero (t860)
UTG (t5150)
Button (t1790)
SB (t2200)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, 2.
1 fold, Button raises to t860 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero?

Its the same hand with the stacks reversed. Here you have less than 3BBs, and with all things being equal, then you make the call with your junkish T2.

Its always best to open raise all in with junk than to call with it, it gives you the chance they fold (basic) but you need to identify that sometimes you need to make the tough call with junk. This is a simple fact of poker - ideally you make every move possible to avoid having to make the junk-call, but when it happens, just cross those didgits.

Phill

microbet
05-23-2005, 02:36 PM
I fold.

This is a little different since you are calling a small stack, not calling as small stack.

But, it made me think about what if you were the small stack here. It would still be a fold unless you could really put the pusher on almost any two.

Under a lot of circumstances you will have to have around 2 BBs before posting before you would be willing to call with the worst starting hands.

lorinda
05-23-2005, 02:39 PM
It is possible for it to be correct to fold for one chip.

Lori