PDA

View Full Version : Hypocrits?

imported_Chuck Weinstock
12-10-2002, 11:35 AM
I'm surprised that I've seen nothing here about the Federal Judge dismissing the GAO's suit against Cheney asking for access to energy policy documents. A Bush appointed judge with convoluted reasoning (where has that happened before?)

I guarantee you that if the sitting President was Clinton, and the VP in question was Gore that many of the posters in this forum would be all over this decision.

IrishHand
12-10-2002, 12:15 PM
Agreed 100%.

Sort of like that comment of Lott's regarding Thurmond...how he doesn't get tossed from the Party for that height of stupidity I'll never understand.

HDPM
12-10-2002, 01:43 PM
I don't think this is the isue that will expose a lot of hypocricy. I have not followed the issue closely and have not read the judge's opinion, so I don't have a firm opinion. It seems like a tempest in a teapot created by some democrat congressmen. They want to make political points through the courts because they can't muster congress to do anything about it. Cheney is fair game over the energy policy, but that does not mean a flunky at the GAO can boss around the executive branch on a whim with no congressional support. There is plenty to criticize Cheney on the energy policy about without resort to the courts. Also remember, it was the Republicans who wanted to get rid of the independent counsel law before Clinton was investigated. The Dems said no.

brad
12-10-2002, 01:46 PM
also congress demanded ashcroft i think come testify and he just said no.

something like that.

these guys are totally above the law and dont even try to hide it.

brad
12-10-2002, 01:54 PM
also a while ago when the continuity of government plan was announced (like if a nuke went off in d.c. or whatever) , well it was announced that they were *activating* it, it had been lying dormnant since 50's or whatever, the senate pro tem and speaker of the house (speaker is 2nd in line for presidency, right?, i think pro tem of senate is 3rd, so if pres and vp killed they are next)

well anyway they came out and said hey, we dont know anything about this, we're not included in this, why not?

MMMMMM
12-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Isn't Al Haig supposed to be next?

Adnirol
12-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Chuck I believe you are correct in that if Clinton had been accused of this impropriety we would be screaming. Of course the difference is that Clinton would most likely be guilty of the charges wheras Cheney is most likely innocent. Therein lies the difference!

Adnirol

imported_Chuck Weinstock
12-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Trust me. If it had been Clinton/Gore instead of Bush/Cheney
the community would have been "following the issue closely". (This is not specifically aimed at you by the way.)

Chuck

patrick dicaprio
12-11-2002, 12:00 PM
there is plenty to go around on both sides. as an example look at the trent lott furor. where were all the democrats when clinton was awarding medals to fulbright who was a segregationist, or when fritz hollings called mexicans "wetbacks," or when robert byrd referred to "white n--gers" or when al gore senior voted against the civil rights act. it is all in which side you support.

Pat

imported_Chuck Weinstock
12-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Yes, there is plenty to go around. But on this forum it pretty much goes one way. And in general, the Bush bashing today (here and elsewhere) is nothing close to the Clinton bashing that occurred during (and after) his administration.

There is nothing wrong, in my opinion, with Lott praising Strom Thurmond at his birthday party. There is plenty wrong with the sentiments he expressed, and I can't imagine that there are many conservatives who did not at least cringe privately when they heard them.

IrishHand
12-11-2002, 01:55 PM
What Trent Lott furor? Democrats haven't really said/done anything about it. I understand there are some black politicians objecting, but that's like 6th page news.

eLROY
12-11-2002, 02:24 PM
I don't mind executive privilege. And I certainly hope Cheney was designing a plan that benefited US energy companies. Our problem with the Clinton healthcare task force was that they didn't consult industry or consumer, only a bunch of leftist utopian activists. Or, on defense, they were getting their money from the Red Chinese Army.

eLROY

IrishHand
12-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Actually, I think it was the Blue Chinese Army.