PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to share an interesting quote from an interesting book.

RYL
05-23-2005, 05:20 AM
According to the book, "Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About", Kevin Trudeau states the following: "Medical science believes that thoughts could never alone cure or cause disease. However, it is interesting to point out that medical science can not dispute the "placebo" effect. The placebo effect is when a person is given a "placebo," which is in effect nothing, yet their disease is cured. This occurs because the patient believes that what he is taking will cure the disease. His thoughts basically cause the cure. This happens in as many as 40 percent of the cases. Imagine, up to 40 percent of the time a person with a dreaded disease cures himself with his own thoughts!" Right when I finished reading that statement, the book, "Think and Grow Rich", by Napoleon Hill, popped up in my mind. Anyways, I would appreciate your comments on Trudeau's statement.

P.S. Another statement Trudeau makes several paragraphs below the one above: "Words have power. Most people speak words that increase body stress and turn the body's pH from alkaline to acidic. Words can change the way we think and feel. Researchers have concluded that speaking the correct form of words and thinking the correct thoughts actually changes a person's DNA." I would appreciate your comments on this statement as well. Thank you guys for taking the time to read this.

Sykes
05-23-2005, 05:26 AM
Thoughts also create diseases, so think about that.

bernie
05-23-2005, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Researchers have concluded that speaking the correct form of words and thinking the correct thoughts actually changes a person's DNA." I would appreciate your comments on this statement as well. Thank you guys for taking the time to read this

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about this before. Let's say you are studying in school to be a biochemist. You're studying your ass off so you are living and breathing it. Let's say during this time you knock some slut up. I wonder if that kid would be more likely to be born with a predisposition to sciences than if you were studying something else. Not that it would be gauranteed, but that the possibility is more likely. That make sense? Not sure if I presented that right.

b

RYL
05-23-2005, 05:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts also create diseases, so think about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

He states that.

RYL
05-23-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Researchers have concluded that speaking the correct form of words and thinking the correct thoughts actually changes a person's DNA." I would appreciate your comments on this statement as well. Thank you guys for taking the time to read this

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about this before. Let's say you are studying in school to be a biochemist. You're studying your ass off so you are living and breathing it. Let's say during this time you knock some slut up. I wonder if that kid would be more likely to be born with a predisposition to sciences than if you were studying something else. Not that it would be gauranteed, but that the possibility is more likely. That make sense? Not sure if I presented that right.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where you're driving at. But your DNA changing doesn't have to be a DRAMATIC change from what I understand.

judgesmails
05-23-2005, 05:42 AM
Trudeau is a charlatan.

I have not read the book, but have seen the informercials about it. This guy is also an expert on skin care products, blenders, cleaning supplies, yard tools, and anything else he thinks he can sell through informercials. The guy has no shame and I seriously doubt there is a single footnote or referece to credible science in his book. But he tries to cover this flaw by denigrating modern science and medicine at every turn.

Do you really think there is some big conspiracy among doctors, drug companies, and medical researchers to deny people the "truth" and to deny them cures to their problems? And if it exists Kevin Trudeau uncovered it?

Please.

RYL
05-23-2005, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Trudeau is a charlatan.

I have not read the book, but have seen the informercials about it. This guy is also an expert on skin care products, blenders, cleaning supplies, yard tools, and anything else he thinks he can sell through informercials. The guy has no shame and I seriously doubt there is a single footnote or referece to credible science in his book. But he tries to cover this flaw by denigrating modern science and medicine at every turn.

Do you really think there is some big conspiracy among doctors, drug companies, and medical researchers to deny people the "truth" and to deny them cures to their problems? And if it exists Kevin Trudeau uncovered it?

Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this from MANY people. Reading this book, I could understand why. Just curious what you think about these statements from what you know personally, not based on Trudeau's reputation.

bernie
05-23-2005, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where you're driving at. But your DNA changing doesn't have to be a DRAMATIC change from what I understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying dramatic, just the chance goes up. Let's say someone is an athlete in school. Life happens, whatever, so now they focus much more intensely on the academic side. Couldn't this push the needle a little more to predispose the mindset/dna program for how the brain works, to more an academic mind than athletic framed mind?

Again, not saying it's definite, but more likely than if they didn't pursue as intensely? It might not even be a factor at all, but you never know.

b

bernie
05-23-2005, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think there is some big conspiracy among doctors, drug companies, and medical researchers to deny people the "truth" and to deny them cures to their problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think if they had a cure for the common cold they would make it public?

b

RYL
05-23-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think there is some big conspiracy among doctors, drug companies, and medical researchers to deny people the "truth" and to deny them cures to their problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

The two questions mentioned above can make an interesting debate IMO.

judgesmails
05-23-2005, 05:56 AM
Certainly, the full potential and power of the human mind is not fully understood. It is possible that a positive attitude toward healing can expedite and aid recovery. I doubt Trudeau has figured it out. I cannot believe that your mind can actually change your genetic code. I would need to read a scientific journal study on this to believe it even remotely possible.

I trust scientific research and modern medicine but recognize that there is still much for us to learn. The best way for humanity to learn has proven to be the scientific method. I will place my trust in that over a snake oil salesman.

bernie
05-23-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Thw two questions posed can make an interesting debate IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a very good question. Especially given all the money involved in dealing with the common cold. Think of how big that blanket is and just what all is connected to the common cold and it's profitability.

I went out on a date with a cancer researcher and posed this question to her, except about cancer. She said it was something she really didn't want to think about. Then I ordered more wine.

b

judgesmails
05-23-2005, 06:04 AM
Of course. An affordable - to the masses - cure for the common cold would be so lucrative there could not possible be any incentive to keep it secret.

How would "they" keep it secret anyway? There would be so many researchers and test patients involved in the development of the cure it would be impossible to keep quiet for very long.

You guys have watched Chris Rock's show too many times. He is just a comedian trying to make jokes.

RYL
05-23-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course. An affordable - to the masses - cure for the common cold would be so lucrative there could not possible be any incentive to keep it secret.

How would "they" keep it secret anyway? There would be so many researchers and test patients involved in the development of the cure it would be impossible to keep quiet for very long.

You guys have watched Chris Rock's show too many times. He is just a comedian trying to make jokes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You "guy's" as in plural? So are you referring to me and bernie? If you are what do you mean by this? All I was asking for was your comments on the statement.

bernie
05-23-2005, 06:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because long term, keeping the common cold around would make more money, imo. How many billions of dollars a year do you think are made off the common cold? Not to mention it's rarely fatal, if at all, so where's the real incentive to override what they have today?

Chris Rock?

b

fimbulwinter
05-23-2005, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
According to the book, "Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About", Kevin Trudeau states the following: "Medical science believes that thoughts could never alone cure or cause disease. However, it is interesting to point out that medical science can not dispute the "placebo" effect. The placebo effect is when a person is given a "placebo," which is in effect nothing, yet their disease is cured. This occurs because the patient believes that what he is taking will cure the disease. His thoughts basically cause the cure. This happens in as many as 40 percent of the cases. Imagine, up to 40 percent of the time a person with a dreaded disease cures himself with his own thoughts!" Right when I finished reading that statement, the book, "Think and Grow Rich", by Napoleon Hill, popped up in my mind. Anyways, I would appreciate your comments on Trudeau's statement.

P.S. Another statement Trudeau makes several paragraphs below the one above: "Words have power. Most people speak words that increase body stress and turn the body's pH from alkaline to acidic. Words can change the way we think and feel. Researchers have concluded that speaking the correct form of words and thinking the correct thoughts actually changes a person's DNA." I would appreciate your comments on this statement as well. Thank you guys for taking the time to read this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a reason the above people are not scientists. They lack the self-restraint and pensiveness to keep from saying painfully stupid things like "thoughts change DNA"

yes, i know, if you're taking a chromatin remodeling/epigenetics kind of change, fine, it's true, but it has nothing to do with changing the sequence of the DNA, which is the vast majority of the heritable portion of life. I guarantee the above people were not speaking from this perspective. also, the strain from taking a dump can also cause chromatin remodeling, as can any/all external stimulii, for those uninformed.

bottom line: this is crappy pseudoscience at its best. on a good day it sells worthless salves and solipsism. on a bad one it prevents people from seeking real medical treatment for their problems and thereby kills them.

fim

BOTW
05-23-2005, 07:04 AM
It is B.S. That said, I like thinking positive because if I'm gonna die tomorrow from a giant brain tumor I'd like to spend today being relatively happy.

The acidic thing works because people think "acid is bad stuff". I'd like to dump some lye on their granola.

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
on a bad one it prevents people from seeking real medical treatment for their problems and thereby kills them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what about the days when medical science gives up citing impending death and a "miraculous" recovery (on no medication) occurs?

Stating absolutes from either side, esp. considering the amount of things we do not understand, is very short-sighted.

RYL
05-23-2005, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yes, i know, if you're taking a chromatin remodeling/epigenetics kind of change, fine, it's true, but it has nothing to do with changing the sequence of the DNA, which is the vast majority of the heritable portion of life. I guarantee the above people were not speaking from this perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you be so sure?

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Liar. That wasn't at all interesting.

RYL
05-23-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Liar. That wasn't at all interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sue me! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Alobar
05-23-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because long term, keeping the common cold around would make more money, imo. How many billions of dollars a year do you think are made off the common cold? Not to mention it's rarely fatal, if at all, so where's the real incentive to override what they have today?

Chris Rock?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

you are looking at it the wrong way. The billions of dollars a year made on fighting the common cold, are made by a ton of different companies. A single company would have the actual pill to cure the common cold, and so would then have the market cornered on curing the common cold, and would themsevles make billions. Even if the exact number they made on curing the cold, is less than the exact number made currently by everyone on fighting the commond. They are going to be making orders of magnitute more money than they alone are currently making, and therefore no way in hell would they NOT go to market with their cure.