PDA

View Full Version : 99 in the BB. Your thoughts please...

bigpair
05-23-2005, 04:09 AM
Didn't have any reads as this hand occurred shortly after I sat down. Thanks for your interest and feedback.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (12 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

milesdyson
05-23-2005, 04:11 AM
Flop check raise attempt is fine, but please bet the turn. Since you didn't, you just might want to hit the raise button after button raises UTG's bet. In poker, 999JJ is what we call a full house. It is a good hand and likes when bets go into the pot.

Sweet river for button. In all honesty you can probably fold this correctly given the action in this hand.

moot
05-23-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop check raise attempt is fine, but please bet the turn. Since you didn't, you just might want to hit the raise button after button raises UTG's bet. In poker, 999JJ is what we call a full house. It is a good hand and likes when bets go into the pot.

Sweet river for button. In all honesty you can probably fold this correctly given the action in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

I like the check, since UTG is the likely better and you can trap the field. A bet out will often be raised by the UTG which is less than ideal when you have a flopped boat.

But you should bet the turn. And as miles said, why aren't you raising the turn? This isn't a flopped quad with 8 other players to act behind you; you're not worried about blowing away the field. Both players will likely still be around if you raise, and they might even reraise you with their trips and give you some bets on the river (the other 95% of the time that the 3rd jack doesn't fall).

I would fold this river. Any pocket pair higher than yours beats you, as does a jack. Once in a blue moon you might see a split if that 4th 9 shows up (and no one holds jack or a higher pair).

But you're losing here very very often, so I think I would fold this. Though I'm not gonna chew you out too bad, because that's a rough (though somewhat poorly played) hand for you, and many players might pay that off. I might.

Kumubou
05-23-2005, 04:43 AM
Pre-flop is standard. It is one bet to you, closing the action, with lots of cold-callers. I'll take it and try to flop a set... or a boat.

The checkraise on the flop was a good idea (perfect for value, as the intended bettor was to your left) but he chickens out, and so does everyone else. Oops.

You really need to bet this turn, though. The flop checked through, no one likes their hand enough to bet -- you need to bet and get money in this pot! The check is a little looney, but if you were clairvoyent enough to see a bet coming it makes sense -- but then to call it? With the second nuts?! That is maximum weakness.

My initial thought is why fold the river, you have to be good ~1 in 9 or better here. A J is likely, yet unlikely -- and if either UTG or the button showed down a high PP I would be shocked. Then again, it looks like UTG got a high PP, tried to c/r it on the flop like an idiot, properly bet the turn and got scurred once the button raised. I guess it's likely that the button has the case J, but I loathe giving people credit for quads, ever. I think I end up calling this every time for one, though -- if the other two players show down crap and I folded the best hand, I probably go on a three-state killing spree.

-K

ClaytonN
05-23-2005, 04:44 AM
That was about as weakly as you could have possibly played that monster hand postflop.

bet/raise flop, bet/raise turn, check/call river

Shillx
05-23-2005, 04:51 AM
Well you were off on your flop/turn read that must have told you that UTG held pocket jacks. It is way too late for me to be looking at posts like this dude...all I can really do is get sad. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brad

2+2 wannabe
05-23-2005, 05:16 AM
wow....

were you trying to check-raise the flop? i hate it

what the hell are you doing on the turn? since the flop checked through, why would this rag entice action on the turn? lead the turn - btw, why are you not 3-betting this turn? do you hate money?

call river and expect button to show you the 4th jack

moot
05-23-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? Do you honestly think Hero's winning enough times?

Also... yes, it's a poorly played hand, but you don't have to be quite such a prick about it. This is the micro forum and the guy just barely registered (welcome guy, btw). Cut him a little slack.

bigpair
05-23-2005, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you just might want to hit the raise button after button raises UTG's bet. In poker, 999JJ is what we call a full house. It is a good hand and likes when bets go into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My turn play makes me wince now but at the time I was thinking I'd call the turn to lay a huge trap on the river so I got worried about UTG folding to a 3-bet. Again, I thank everyone for their comments.

fire_fly
05-23-2005, 05:35 AM
Grunching... well, I did read the first 2 posts /images/graemlins/smile.gif sorry, i cheated (btw, thought the first 2 were WAAAAAY off.)

Edit: sh**, sorry, didn't notice you only had 4 posts, should have put on my kid gloves a little at least, welcome to the forums, I think you'll learn from this hand. In general, forget about "setting traps," otherwise known as "putting on your fancy pants," unless the pot is *very* small.

I think you played this hand horribly.

Given the flop, you will probably drag this pot about 90% of the time. So why the check on flop? If utg has a hand, he will bet/raise/reraise no matter what you do, so why not get the bets in?

Betting out *guarantees* that you will get a lot of money into a pot which you will win the overwelming majority of the time.

Betting out is better whether utg has a hand or not. If he does (say A J or K Js, which are definately possibilities), imagine him "smooth calling" *snicker, snicker* your flop bet and then raising your turn bet, a couple donks coldcalling his raise and then you get to trap everyone with a 3-bet. If he doesn't have a hand, then you still get the most bets in that you can with the best hand.

What you guys think?

adsman
05-23-2005, 07:44 AM
If the button had a J would he really check that flop?

@bsolute_luck
05-23-2005, 07:50 AM
read dependent really. i've had this happen and when if i bet out, it gets folded all the way around and you'll lose a lot of $$. if you're at that kind of table, i don't think the c/r attempt is bad. but sometimes i'll bet out because many people believe you to be bluffing and will call just for that fact.

but i would find the raise button somewhere on the turn.

2+2 wannabe
05-23-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? Do you honestly think Hero's winning enough times?

unless i'm reading the board wrong, all that beats us is a jack and pocket pair &gt;99. i think a fold would be really bad given the stakes.

[ QUOTE ]
Also... yes, it's a poorly played hand, but you don't have to be quite such a prick about it. This is the micro forum and the guy just barely registered (welcome guy, btw). Cut him a little slack.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree - i didn't see the post count - sorry for being an ass, and welcome to the boards.

topspin
05-23-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop check looks standard to me. If you're leading when the preflop aggressor is to your left, then you need to rethink this.

Mister Z
05-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Bet the turn.

&lt;end grunch&gt;

Mister Z
05-23-2005, 04:23 PM
I disagree with those suggesting to bet or C/R the flop. I think with a monster hand like this you want a couple of these players to catch something here and take down a big flop. C/R is rediculous on the flop. I think this is one of the few hands more than worthy of a slow-play. However, bet out the turn and make sure some bets go in while you still can. Sucks that a J fell.

nickg1532
05-23-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the button had a J would he really check that flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming a typical micro player, I think so. To these guys slowplaying a flop is their absolute favorite play, and trips is about their favorite hand to do it with. So many bad players are in love with checking here and then going crazy on the turn. Now if we have a read that button is semi-competent he'll bet his jack, but otherwise, they'll often check here

bigpair
05-23-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow....

what the hell are you doing on the turn? since the flop checked through, why would this rag entice action on the turn? lead the turn - btw, why are you not 3-betting this turn? do you hate money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning on c/r the flop and was thrown when everybody checked given the pre-flop activity. As for the turn, I just got too cute trying to set a huge trap on the river. The obvious lesson here is get all the chips in when you're far ahead. By the way, I appreciate your brutal honesty as well as everyone's feedback. Shall I post the results?