PDA

View Full Version : i hate not having reads....

technologic
05-23-2005, 02:25 AM
party poker 2/4 NL

villain has around 360, hero has him covered.

UTG raises to 8, MP1 calls, CO calls, button folds, hero calls in sb with AKo, bb (villain) raises to 25, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, hero calls.

flop KT8 rainbow. hero checks, villain bets 50, folded to hero, who calls.

turn 7s. villain moves in for 285. hero folds.

captZEEbo1
05-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Maybe I blow at poker, but I would be reraising the initial person's min raise...in which case the bb would likely be RERAISING you with what you apparently believe to be AA....in which case you can muck AK preflop. If you went along this line of just calling the min raise from utg with AK, and now the BB reraises it, I am folding AK when it gets back to me.

technologic
05-23-2005, 04:20 AM
i don't know how i feel about reraising a large field with just AK out of position...maybe i suck at poker but i feel like this is overplaying the hand...what worse hands call? not many i feel...if i get called i'm going to be in a tough spot postflop and may usually have to give the hand up.

captZEEbo1
05-23-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't know how i feel about reraising a large field with just AK out of position...maybe i suck at poker but i feel like this is overplaying the hand...what worse hands call? not many i feel...if i get called i'm going to be in a tough spot postflop and may usually have to give the hand up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the goal is to win the pot preflop by reraising with AK, or get it heads up, and bet 2/3 the pot and hope they fold.

emil3000
05-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Reraising and calling are both ok in my opinion. When it gets to be this many callers I've been leaning towards reraising and picking up some good money. AKo is a hand you can lose some money with in a multiway pot too.

NickPoker
05-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Did you consider leading out the flop for $70-80? If he comes over the top, then it is an easier lay down. You played the hand weak, giving him a chance to take you off it with a potentially lesser hand. His 1/2 bet on flop may have been a feeler trying to draw the king out. When you just called he either thought he was, or thought he could take you off the hand.

I put him on AA, QQ, JJ, 1010,, 99, AK (makes most since), or maybe even he completely missed, hard to say without read. The way you played it I agree with the fold, but I think you should have been more aggressive on the flop.

Izenra
05-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Since I am super weak-tight, I would have fold preflop.

Check raise the flop or lead it so see where you stand.

BloodyRomance
05-23-2005, 03:21 PM
calling the min raise from the small blind isn't that bad in my opinion. however, after bb raised, you can try to figure out where you're at in the hand and reraise to try to pick it up or go heads up and fold to a reraise? however, no one can really put you on a real hand since you would've raised after UTG's min raise instead of relying on the last player to act to reraise. that line may be seen as a little dangerous. anyways, on the flop i might have check raised the turn instead of check calling. however, the way he played the hand on the turn, i can only see him with AK, AA, or TT here. unless he took your check call as weakness. i would probably fold on the turn as well.

Leptyne
05-23-2005, 03:29 PM
One of the comments that is often repeated on this forum is "it is often a mistake to call raises from the blinds". I think the idea of raising is excellent for LP, just not for the SB. I'm a tight player and think calling the first raise is ok, but I fold to the second raise.

With no read I generally put the player down as strong TAG until I have reason to change my opinion. Most of the times I've been in this position I either see a flop that I have to fold to or a flop that gives me a hand that I find difficult to lay down. I know we're here to gamboool and there are possible scenarios that will have you winning the pot, but SB, AKos, re-raise from BB who is unknown, I fold.

JasonP530
05-24-2005, 03:45 AM
Tech and anyone else.

Do you really want to be playing AK in a 4 or 5 way minraised pot? It seems like the pot will be big, and you will be out of position with what will be likely one pair and a large field(if you hit). I would think you would be happy to take it down with a reraise right there. Not that calling is bad, but there is aleady almost 40 in the pot, and you will have a tough play out of position.

Thoughts? Is the answer, "you should be able to play one pair/AK out of position better?"

Chris Daddy Cool
05-24-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I am super weak-tight, I would have fold preflop.

Check raise the flop or lead it so see where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

checkraising this flop is asking for trouble.

henrikrh
05-24-2005, 04:56 AM
Check/call on the flop is where the mistake was made, this guy didn't have AA. Why would he waste his AA on pushing you out. I think he saw weakness and took a shot with middle pair or less.

TPTK, raise on the flop!

Anyways, watch for patterns in his play and use that for tells.

technologic
05-24-2005, 12:41 PM
thing is, if i raise with AK here preflop on the second raise to take the pot down, i might as well do it with a random hand in this situation, as any hand that calls now will have me severely crushed.

on the first raise, i'm still going to be oop, and i'm merely announcing the strength of my hand to people who want to tango to the flop. if i raise the first time, should i make a pot sized raise?

excession
05-24-2005, 01:40 PM
If you had no reads because the other players had just sat down then fair enough.

If you had no reads because you had just sat down and were too lazy to spend 30 minutes datamining the table before you did so then that's your own fault..

I boot up the PC, fire up 4 Party tables, start mining and go off and get my tea/browse the web, analyse stuff in PT or whatever...half an hour later i'm back and ready to roll with solid reads on at least 3/4 of the table..

wslee00
05-24-2005, 02:27 PM
NL hold'em I always err on the side of aggressiveness... - you should have re-raised the min raise in the sb, and then you would have a clear read on the villain if he either re-raised or just called you.

JasonP530
05-25-2005, 03:59 AM
You do sort of announce you have a good hand by putting in the second raise. I would think that a hand that reraised would have you crushed, if you get called, it is much likely from something weaker than AA or KK. The reason I suggest it is because the pot is starting to swell...I would not usually raise it out of the blinds, and if I did, I would make it extra big to compensate for my being out of position during the hand.