PDA

View Full Version : D.A.R.E. taught me all about drugs...

bump
05-23-2005, 01:29 AM
... and made me want to use them.

When I was younger I, like many American children, had a DARE (Drug Abuse Resistnce Education) program at school (in ~5th grade.) My DARE officer was a friendly neighborhood police officer named officer Steve (no, not BigSteve) and he showed us pictures of drugs and told us about the dangers of drug use.

I still remember his presentations about how the drug dealers and drug users would 'recruit' me for their own gain.

He taught us that oftentimes drug dealers will give you a little bit of their drugs for free in the beginning so that we would get hooked and then he would pick up a future customer. He also taught us about how drugs ruined lives and told us many stories about people who ruined their lives because of drugs.

As he explained all of this I remember being amazed by the fact that people would ruin their lives for these drugs. 'Wow,' I though, 'drugs must be really great if people would spend all of this money and ruin their lives just to get more drugs.'

When I realized (~9th grade) how crazy the drug dealer myth that had been presented to us was I decided that Officer Steve had lied to try to make his point and decided that what he said about the side effects of drugs was probably a lie too. But what stuck with me was the stories about all of those things that people would do for their fix...

My question to OOT was did the DARE program make any of you want to do drugs? Did it prevent you from doing them? Any other DARE related comments?...

Dead
05-23-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any other DARE related comments?...

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it when the officer let me touch his gun. Then we smoked a J together.

Klepton
05-23-2005, 01:37 AM
i remember in 6th grade while talking the officer just stopped and said very sternly

"seriously can we stop the clicking of the pens!"

dead silence the rest of the class

miajag81
05-23-2005, 01:38 AM
I would say it definitely scared me away from drugs to an extent, since I was young and impressionable. Still, it's unlikely I ever would have tried any hard drugs even without DARE. My favorite thing about it, looking back, is the ridiculous stories the officers would tell about the harmful effects of drugs. I remember one in particular that went something like "The Netherlands legalized marijuana, and within a week the country was a third-world wasteland."

bump
JUST GOOGLE IT! dare+increases+drug+use. Im not alone on this one

Did they say that 70%-90% of all crime is drug related?

www.dare.com (http://www.dare.com)

[ QUOTE ]
D.A.R.E. teaches kids how to recognize and resist the direct and subtle pressures that influence them to experiment with alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and other drugs. And since between 70% and 90% of all crime is drug related, it is absolutely vital that we reach the children of America before it is too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that in a few years pot deaths will equal tobacco deaths?

[ QUOTE ]
Marijuana is a leading cause of drug-related emergency room episodes and emergency psychiatric episodes. Smoking a few cigarettes, or even a package of cigarettes, has never necessitated emergency room medical or psychiatric attention. Long-term tobacco use leads to the deterioration of the lungs, heart, circulation, etc. There are no recorded deaths from smoking tobacco short term. It is known that marijuana undermines the immune system so it is likely that in another 20 years, if use continues to escalate, the death toll from side effects of long-term marijuana use will equal those of longer-term tobacco use. Additionally, because marijuana is hallucinogenic, smokers often indulge in risky or irresponsible behavior that results in tragic or lethal consequences.

[/ QUOTE ] Bottom of this page (http://www.dare.com/home/tertiary/Default474a.asp?N=Tertiary&S=8)

Dead
The Netherlands is a third-world wasteland, but not because they legalized drugs. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

radek2166
05-23-2005, 01:39 AM
The only dare program they had when I was in school was truth or dare!

miajag81
05-23-2005, 01:41 AM
I'd also like to point out that this thread could really use John Bunnell's input.

TimM
05-23-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't his gun.

Dead
05-23-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't his gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Then why did bullets come out when I pulled the trigger?

daryn
05-23-2005, 01:49 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't his gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Then why did bullets come out when I pulled the trigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.mapzones.com/world/south_america/uruguay/uruguay.jpg

John Bunnell
05-23-2005, 01:52 AM
When you use drugs, the only "trip" you'll be taking is in the back of a patrol car.

mmbt0ne
05-23-2005, 01:55 AM
Oh man, 2 awesome responses in a row from daryn and JP. Come back to greatness OOT!!

wacki
05-23-2005, 01:55 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&amp;q=dare+increases+drug+use&amp;btnG=Google +Search

"The evaluation went on to state, "Compared to Controls, those receiving the Affective program had 20.1 and 86.4% increases in tobacco use, 30.9 and 42.4% increases in onset of alcohol, and 47.3 and 74.2% increases in marijuana use at post-test 1 and 2, respectively" (Ibid, p. 145, emphasis mine)."

http://www.watchman.org/na/darestat.htm

bump
05-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Note: I do not condone the use of blow (although it is great until you come down...

But this is just funny:

Coke use often results in being burned or drowning, doing weird repetitive motions (grinding your teeth) like picking at imaginary bugs beneath your skin, and... YOU WILL END UP ALONE

[ QUOTE ]
Cocaine is among the most addictive drugs out there. Not only can it harm your body, it can mess up your life to the point where all that matters is your next fix. Being high on cocaine often results in violence, car crashes, falls, burns, and drowning. Cocaine can also make you violent or even make you do bizarre repetitive motions. Some users sit and repetitively draw doodles or, in severe cases, pick at their skin over and over to try to get the bugs out they think are underneath. People addicted to cocaine often do risky things they later regret. They may spend all their cash on cocaine, and do any number of other things to support their habit. In their pursuit to feed the crack and cocaine addiction, users hurt the people around them and <font color="red">often end up alone.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

tbach24
05-23-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you use drugs, the only "trip" you'll be taking is in the back of a patrol car.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the funniest thing ever.

bump
05-23-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&amp;q=dare+increases+drug+use&amp;btnG=Google +Search

"The evaluation went on to state, "Compared to Controls, those receiving the Affective program had 20.1 and 86.4% increases in tobacco use, 30.9 and 42.4% increases in onset of alcohol, and 47.3 and 74.2% increases in marijuana use at post-test 1 and 2, respectively" (Ibid, p. 145, emphasis mine)."

http://www.watchman.org/na/darestat.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"Hanson cited studies from the University of Illinois and the University of Kentucky in particular. Each devotes at least 30 pages to asserting `the DARE program has no effect or has actually increased drug use among students in the program' she said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I thought it was just me. Wow, thanks wacki. I wonder if there are any more recent articles out there.

miajag81
05-23-2005, 02:01 AM
yeah, he's clearly the best gimmick account going right now