PDA

View Full Version : Set of tens on the turn, did I extract the most money?

Marc Desjardins
05-23-2005, 12:58 AM
With a 4-way capped preflop, I had odds to call one bet, I hit my ten. Now, did I extract the most money I could?

MP3 is a calling station, very loose. CO is a gambler, pretty aggresive.

After reviewing the hand, I figure I should have bet the turn, calling station would have probably called and there is a good chance CO raise then I get to 3-bet. But I didn't want to tip my hand...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls.

River: (14.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

no1super2001
05-23-2005, 01:06 AM
With all due respect, does this in any way provide substantive material beneficial to this community?

Or are you just trying to demonstrate that sometimes a pocket pair can make a set that will win?

Marc Desjardins
05-23-2005, 01:09 AM
I was trying to get people's opinion on my line after the turn, the goal being to extract the most money. I played it one way. But after reviewing I felt it might have been better played a different way.

I am asking for this forum's opinion, sorry if you find this uninteresting...

no1super2001
05-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Wow, that was pretty hateful, my apologies. Too much tequila.

What I meant was that we are better off with fewer, meatier threads. These threads about extracting a couple of additional bets with tricky play do not really make for good debate.

istewart
05-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Not much else you could do.

Marc Desjardins
05-23-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that was pretty hateful, my apologies. Too much tequila.

[/ QUOTE ]

no problems

[ QUOTE ]
What I meant was that we are better off with fewer, meatier threads. These threads about extracting a couple of additional bets with tricky play do not really make for good debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the point of my post, I tried a tricky play and then noticed that the obvious play of just betting out maybe would have been better.

I'm still relatively new to poker and I'm just getting up from a big downswing, I'm trying to decide where to go with my poker, I've went down from 4-tabling back to one table so that I have more time to analyse my play.

Maybe it says alot about my game where the few hands I wonder about are of no interest to the rest of the people /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ClaytonN
05-23-2005, 01:21 AM
If MP3 is a calling station, I want him in the pot, not driving him out.

I don't like checkraising the turn. Bet/raise.

Everything else looks standard to me.

tiltaholic
05-23-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After reviewing the hand, I figure I should have bet the turn, calling station would have probably called and there is a good chance CO raise then I get to 3-bet. But for some reason I don't like money....

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp.

ClaytonN
05-23-2005, 01:25 AM
What does your post accomplish?

no1super2001
05-23-2005, 01:27 AM
Even more profuse apologies.

Also being new, I have found the greatest help to my game is replying blind to posts here. The call it grunching, named for the pooh-bah who suggested it as a learning tool.

Just do not look at any replies and write out your analysis of the hand in question. Keep it tight and clear. You will get fair and helpful critique from the other contributors.

If you read what others write first, you cannot be entirely objective in your response. More importantly, you will not get that valuable feedback.

Good luck.

tiltaholic
05-23-2005, 01:32 AM
here, lets try again -

In general, in microlimit holdem against normal loose and passive opponents, try not to be concerned with "tipping your hand". Instead, in times when you believe your hand to be best (such as this example), focus on getting as much money in the pot. Don't slowplay mosnster hands, and don't worry about "losing customers" or "tipping your hand". They will call, that is what they do. And when they are aggressive, they will raise so you can 3-bet.

This is a perfect example of where you should bet and hope to 3-bet. You have someone an aggressive player acting last who you think will raise, and a calling station trapped in between you two. Check raising the aggressor will only make it more likely that the calling station will fold.

But I think you knew all of this...

ClaytonN
05-23-2005, 01:33 AM
That's much better /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Marc Desjardins
05-23-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also being new, I have found the greatest help to my game is replying blind to posts here. The call it grunching, named for the pooh-bah who suggested it as a learning tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice, I've read before that I should do that, but I've got to admit, I'm intimidated /images/graemlins/smile.gif But I'll still try and start doing it.

I've read many books, I read here a lot, I've had good success at the 0.50/1.00, but moving up has been quite a roller coaster. I tried 1/2 full ring and 1/2 six max. Had a great start, even got enough of a bankroll for 2/4.

Then I hit a major downswing, got my butt kicked real bad. I went on a 225BB downswing at 1-2 six-max and a 55BB downswing at 1-2 full ring. So I did what every newbie does and decided to give 2-4 a try to shake things up. I lost 77BB in 500 hands /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So I went back to 0.50/1.00 to regain my confidence and I decided to cash out everything except 300BB for 1-2 full ring. I think I've given up on 6-max, the variance are too hard to handle. So now I'm playing only one table of 1/2 full ring and I review all my hands after a session, I want to be able to lose that feeling of fear I started having after the downswing. So far so good...

Sorry for the rant...

Marc Desjardins
05-23-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured it out after reviewing the hand, but somehow, I don't know why, I didn't play it like that. I guess I got excited to make my hand in such a bit pot. Of course, those kind of hands don't come up often, but it really pisses me off to see that I misplayed it.

Getting some heat about it here might help me think more before I act next time... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bozlax
05-23-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What does your post accomplish?

[/ QUOTE ]

It made me laugh.

tiltaholic
05-23-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured it out after reviewing the hand, but somehow, I don't know why, I didn't play it like that. I guess I got excited to make my hand in such a bit pot. Of course, those kind of hands don't come up often, but it really pisses me off to see that I misplayed it.

Getting some heat about it here might help me think more before I act next time... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens. Often we figure out the correct play after the fact. "In the heat of battle" it's easy to miss things - thats why we post and discuss hands - so that it'll be easier to determine the correct play the next time. Hey, at least you won the pot (hopefully).

"Getting some heat about it here might help me think more before I act next time... /images/graemlins/smile.gif "

thats why we're here....

Mike Z
05-23-2005, 09:24 AM
I would Raise and fold to a 3-Bet on the flop.

krishanleong
05-23-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect, does this in any way provide substantive material beneficial to this community?

Or are you just trying to demonstrate that sometimes a pocket pair can make a set that will win?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think sets are probably the most commonly misplayed hand at micro limits. I think probably half of them with more than 1 opponent have errors. In this hand leading the turn is a little better than cring because of the 3rd player.

Krishan

Marc Desjardins
05-23-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, at least you won the pot (hopefully).

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I won, he mucked, but the hand history showed he had AQ.