PDA

View Full Version : First Post...AQ

MuckedTheNuts
05-23-2005, 12:18 AM
I have been lurking for a while and decided that I would make my first post to get some information about this hand. Dont be too hard on me.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t920)
Hero (t1300)
UTG (t3855)
MP (t710)
Button (t1215)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t450) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, Hero calls t515.

Turn: (t1615) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1615) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1615

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qh As (straight, queen high).
Button has Kh Kc (straight, king high).
Outcome: Button wins t1615. </font>

valenzuela
05-23-2005, 12:33 AM
u played it fine IMO /images/graemlins/laugh.gif , welcome to the forum.

SlackerMcFly
05-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Noobs gotta stick together. My first post was yesterday. Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, so here goes. I didn't look at the results, but will do so after this post.

I don't like completing the Button bet pre-flop. Would have folded or at least raised 3xBB to define his hand or push him out. You should have a read on the guy by now and that alone would make your decision easier.

It is most likely a coin-flip at this point (I would put villian on a mid-pair with the weak raise and go all-in to force HIM to make a decision).

Assuming you fold pre-flop, you still have a mid-stack and only the SB you have to commit next. With 12BB to play, you have plenty of room to catch either a better spot to steal or a better hand to defend.

Since you let him see the flop for cheap, he can scare you with a whole range of hands, bet his hand for value or bluff you out.

Moral: Kind of an all or nothing play after his initial bet. That is the only time you could reasonably control the action and "willingly" contribute to the pot.

Just a Noob....... Slacker

lastchance
05-23-2005, 12:55 AM
You hit top pair on the flop, considering you don't move all-in preflop, which is bad, IMHO, I don't think you can lay down. I probably bet, and move all-in over the top. No way I lay down TPTK there.

SlackerMcFly
05-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Boy was I wrong! Somebody please come take all my money. Welcome to the forum Mr. Muck.

Still Slacking

Shillx
05-23-2005, 12:58 AM
I would just shove her in preflop.

Brad

smcannon
05-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Looks decent to me. I personally don't like AQo as I don't play it the very best, so I might been keen on folding it to any raise. But since it was just a 2BB raise, that's something I might call...maybe. But that's just me.

After the flop, I think you played it decent. I probably would have bet the pot on the flop thought. But nothing wrong with the check-raise.

liucipher
05-23-2005, 01:12 AM
Preflop: Pushing's not a horrendous play, but I think flat-calling and feigning weakness is a great setup if you flop an ace or a queen. Calling leaves your hand undefined as you could just be one of those idiots that calls a minraise from BB "because you're already half-way in."

On the flop: Given the setup, I guess the check is requisite on the flop if you feel Villain is guaranteed to bet. Given that he did, I don't like reraising him 350 into a pot with 600 in it. There are two draws on the board. Take down the pot now and add 50% to your stack.

Given that you bet: The reraise all-in sucks. It's at this point you think: 'Villain feigned weakness twice and is now all of a sudden committing all his chips. Suspicious.' But then you suck it up, realize this is not a $200+$15 and call ...

Just to get splooged all over your face by KK.

Still, results aside, I think the play is fine except for the reraise on the flop. You got shown KK this time, but I think the vast majority of the time you'll be shown stuff like AT or even A8.

valenzuela
05-23-2005, 01:13 AM
mmmm..i didnt notice the huge blinds..anyway its a push..

Scuba Chuck
05-23-2005, 01:47 AM
What buyin is this?

I think you need to define your style here as to decide, is this the best line. If your style is to play AQ 5 handed, then a reraise is the best line here, not a call.

You're at ~12xBB. Does this enter into your decision at all?

DasLeben
05-23-2005, 01:49 AM
I just had to crash this thread for a second.

Liucipher: Your avatar is hilarious. Probably the first one I've seen that's made me actually crack up here in front of my comp. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shakespeare
05-23-2005, 01:54 AM
I think calling the raise is the my least preferred option. You have gained no information by calling.

My standard approach to this situation is to fold to a solid player and push if it’s a weak player (This looks like a weak players pathetic steal attempt). I also like the re-raise option in order to gain some more information (even thou I hardly ever do it in this situation.)

The reason I would fold (with no read) is I like your stack size, it can be used to greater effect when you are the raiser.

jon462
05-23-2005, 02:42 AM
Is anybody really folding AQ here to a miniraise from a stealing position (the button)? That seems to me to be about as weak-tight as you can get. Unless you have a strong enough read to put him on EXACTLY AA, how can you possibly not be getting odds to see a flop?

Scuba Chuck
05-23-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how can you possibly not be getting odds to see a flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a cash game.

durron597
05-23-2005, 10:20 AM
I also lose all my chips on this flop, but that's because I bet the flop, get raised, and push. I don't want a ten to see a free card, so I bet.

Unarmed
05-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Very easy push PF.
AQ has to see the whole board and you're OOP.
Pushing PF negates your positional disadvantage.

kyro
05-23-2005, 10:46 AM
I would probably just reraise all in PF, but the way you played it is OK.

pooh74
05-23-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very easy push PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Phil Van Sexton
05-23-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very easy push PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

In addition to the fact that pushing is clearly the best play, I'd be looking for an excuse to push and let this donkey know that min-raising my blind is not going to be tolerated.

MuckedTheNuts
05-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Wow thanks for all of the help guys!

This tournament was a $11 buyin if it helps anyone.

I knew the guy was solid player from before, but I could just not but him on something like KK. I guess I might need to learn calling his reraise might not be the best thing to do just to find out what he has.