PDA

View Full Version : Preflop minraises at 5/10 NL

ZeeJustin
05-23-2005, 12:06 AM
I've noticed a lot of players like to minraise preflop at the 1k NL on party. What range of hands does it generally mean? I wish there was a way to sort raises by size of the raise on pokertracker. These guys will do it all the time. They'll open for 20. They'll make it 20 after 2-3 limpers in MP. They'll even do it from the blinds. WTF?

Foldarama_City
05-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Obviously there's going to be a huge range of hands they do it with but I notice a lot of players do it with small-medium pocket pairs.

Prevaricator
05-23-2005, 01:19 AM
I dont see good players doing it a lot, and FWIW, I see them show down mostly stuff like small mid PPs, and stuff like QJs and A6s.

captZEEbo1
05-23-2005, 02:40 AM
I've seen some people open min-raise AA or KK. I've never seen anyone min-raise AA or KK after anyone limped. I guess this is to try and get a few cold-callers then get some thinking they can pick up this pot by representing AA. Who knows...

I think people like the min raise after limpers b/c they have a weakish hand in late position that they don't want to invest TOO much with, but they'd like to:
a) have position if possible
b) not have anyone pot raise it behind them, because they want to see a flop
c) get the blinds out of the hand

edit: also anyone that min raises out of the blinds, I'd NEVER give them credit for any type of real hand. I see the minraise out of sb or bb with some hand they want to isolate 1 limper with. They basically want the cheapest way possible to represent strength preflop, and make their opponents think they MIGHT have AA.

Prevaricator
05-23-2005, 02:48 AM
yeah that too. The min-open has a greater chance of being a big pair than min raising after someone else has entered the pot.

piki
05-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Id say some of the time is to build the pot, other times with medium PP to give the table an opportunity to raise a hand they thought about playing slow, and least amount for acquiring position.

The question would be: Do min-raises ever get you to fold?

AceHiStation
05-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I've seen several players use this in the 400NL rooms on party. Usually like people have already posted its a mid-pocketpair and sometimes a hand like KQs, KJs, JQs. I used to use this with my mid-pocketpairs in an effort to build a pot that if I flop my set, people will actually be interested in the pot. Obviously if someones in early position and minraises its a little different. I like to occasionally double it up with AA or KK trying to induce a reraise(which is fairly successful).

THATWACOKID
05-23-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do min-raises ever get you to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me

Edit: Unless I planned on raising in position with trash

creedofhubris
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I dump marginal offsuit hands (KT, QT, QJ, JT, AT) to a minraise. Unless I'm already in, of course.

I'll also drop my big blind if it's trash.

Big_Jim
05-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Trash in the blinds and some hands that I would have completed in the SB (Kxs, Qxs, 36s) hit the muck.

fsuplayer
05-23-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trash in the blinds and some hands that I would have completed in the SB (Kxs, Qxs, 36s) hit the muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

no chance I am folding these hands in that spot.

FoxwoodsFiend
05-24-2005, 02:31 AM
I just saw donutboy18 do it in EP w/A 10 off. So, to answer your question-it's always A 10.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-24-2005, 03:34 AM
from what i've seen its usually pot sweeteners with medium to small pocket pairs and suited connectors or broadways.

Allinlife
05-24-2005, 07:26 PM
what do you guys think of minraise as pot sweeteners? does it give too much information or is it worth it to build pots via minraise for times you hit the flop big?

Of course I'd assume you'd have to do this with group 1~2 hands ocasionally to make up for the shaina.

diddle
05-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I do it occasionally to piss off "good" players. mostly just at random

res1cue
05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
I noticed one more thing also about min raisers preflop. alot of them are also players that are playing out of their bankroll limit, because when you get them heads-up and apply good pressure to them they just back off unless they hit something. Has anyone else noticed that?

piki
05-25-2005, 08:59 AM
funny you mention that, yes

Greeksquared
05-25-2005, 11:10 AM
If I am running well, occasionally I will go on a min-raise rampage. I will min-raise preflop more than half the hands I get for a couple of orbits and sometimes every single hand. It really throws people off, and there will many people trying to steal from you. I sometimes will min bet the pot on the flop. It is fun and works suprisingly well against most opponents. Actually I suggest everyone try doing this. Perhaps starting at lower limits...just to get a feel for what I am talking about. You have to be able to put your pride away and just bet small.

augie00
05-25-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I say this at least 3 times a day when I play poker.

[ QUOTE ]
What range of hands does it generally mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't try to assign a range of hands to a miniraise. Some players do it because they are stupid and don't know to raise more, and will do it with any hand.

Some players do it with suited connectors.

Some players do it with pocket pairs.