PDA

View Full Version : JJ, QQ, AK in level 1 of 109/215

TT_fold
05-22-2005, 10:51 PM
I am having trouble finding a good line to take with JJ, QQ, and AK in level 1 when I raise UTG or UTG+1 and get reraised preflop by someone in early-middle position.

For instance, I pick up QQ UTG+1 and raise to 75... MP1 makes it 250 to go. What is the best line to take?

I can fold (and that's often the line I'll take with JJ or AK), but with QQ that seems too weak even against a tight reraiser.

I can reraise all-in, but I'd rather not scare off a weaker overpair (99-JJ)... this seems like a case of winning the least when ahead and losing the most when behind.

The best option seems to be a call, but that can make for some tricky postflop play.

What's the consensus?

TStokes
05-23-2005, 12:50 AM
I like pushing in situations like this, but thats just me.

Newt_Buggs
05-23-2005, 03:00 AM
this is the reason why I often limp JJ and AK utg. I don't feel the need to make myself vulnerable to the strong hands out there nor to scare off the weak hands that would like to limp in.

Nick B.
05-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Why are you raising so much pf? To make sure the dominated hands fold? Usually with AK or QQ I will take a flop, JJ it depends.

Nick B.
05-23-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is the reason why I often limp JJ and AK utg. I don't feel the need to make myself vulnerable to the strong hands out there nor to scare off the weak hands that would like to limp in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, good thinking. By limping now you make yourself vulnerable to weak hands that are going to isolate you when you are OOP.

CWolf
05-23-2005, 03:28 AM
I would say stop raising JJ and AK (EDIT: UTG and UTG+1 for sure), and call a (reasonable) raise, and judge the hand postflop.

QQ I would continue to raise, then call the reraise. Flop 3 unders, push. K or A falls, check fold.

Newt_Buggs
05-23-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, good thinking. By limping now you make yourself vulnerable to weak hands that are going to isolate you when you are OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
If my UTG raise w AK only gets action from AA, KK what good am I doing? Decent players aren't going to call an UTG raise with AQ, but you will get plenty of limps from A10+. If the dominated hands only want to be in the pot if they can limp, then let them limp. Similarly, I've found that when I raise JJ from UTG I rarely win a big pot. I either trap myself with a bigger pocket, flop and overpocket and take down a small pot, get pushed off of a flop with high, or loose my stack with an overpocket against a set. When you raise you effectively push out anything that will give you action that doesn't have you beat. If you limp UTG though, you encourage A10 to limp on the button and hit a juicy 9,10,2 flop. I'm not dictating always limping UTG with AK/JJ- as with everything in poker "it depends"

hmmm, I just realized that theres a thread on the JJ example, oh well

Bigwig
05-23-2005, 04:48 AM
I agree with Newt.

It's important to remember something about limping any hand. You must be prepared to let it go postflop when you feel that you're likely behind, or facing bets that you think are -EV to call.

I can do this. I suspect Newt can, too. This is why I will take flyers in late position with limpers in front. KTs, 64s, QJo, etc. I can let these hands go, but I can also utilitze my position on the flop. Some players cannot get away from a J86 flop with QJ. If you can't do that, don't limp. And don't limp with JJ UTG. Raise it.

lehighguy
05-23-2005, 04:56 AM
Plenty of idiots will call you raise with AQ, AJ, JJ, 10s. You will make plenty of money of them. I see this all the time at the 50s and 100s. We aren't trying to make money from the pros at the table, we are trying to make money of the fish. And fish don't lay down AQ, AJ, JJ, or 10s unless its an all-in.

AK should not be played for a limp. Niether should QQ.

If you get reraised all in fold. If you get re-raised to <200 call and see the flop.