PDA

View Full Version : something cool to cook on my lodge skillet

Joe826
05-22-2005, 10:36 PM
i just got one of these bad boys and i'm quite intrigued. i cooked a steak on it last night and it was really good, but i want to try something else tonight. the only thing i can think of is breakfast type stuff, but i don't want that. any ideas? i can go to the store anytime tonight so ingredients aren't a concern /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

oh, also, i know i'm supposed to clean my skillet with only water and a brush of some sort in order to keep the seasoning intact, but what about when it gets dirty enough that i can't get all the food off just by scrubbing? is there a good way to do this?

thanks.

CrashPat
05-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Cast iron when seasoned well is pretty non-stick. Provided you do not burn food with it things will come clean pretty easily. You can use soap when washing it just do not scour the pan, and when you are done washing it you should coat the surface in some sort of oil.

miajag81
05-22-2005, 10:51 PM
I recommend a nice, thick filet mignon, cooked medium well, with plenty of A-1 sauce. Yum!

cnfuzzd
05-23-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I recommend a nice, thick filet mignon, cooked medium well, with plenty of A-1 sauce. Yum!

[/ QUOTE ]

cooking a fillet medium well is a travesty against god.

peace

john nickle

miajag81
05-23-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As is failing to turn on your sarcasm detector.

peace!

Aces McGee
05-23-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As is failing to turn on your sarcasm detector.

peace!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sarcasm was far too well-disguised.

-McGee

jdl22
05-23-2005, 12:55 AM
ahi

wacki
05-23-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an inside joke. I actually thought it was funny. I just wish somebody other than cnfuzzd fell for it.

RacersEdge
05-23-2005, 02:39 AM
I didn't get the sarcasm because, yes, I like ketchup and A1 on my steaks...pretty cool huh?

edfurlong
05-23-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't get the sarcasm because, yes, I like ketchup and A1 on my steaks...pretty cool huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to eat a filet you may as well have ketchup on it, at least ketchup tastes like something.

GuyOnTilt
05-23-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

At least I'm not alone... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

SCfuji
05-23-2005, 03:03 AM
find a specialty meat market nearby or online. the meat from those places is pricey but it beats your local grocery store.

wacki
05-23-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

At least I'm not alone... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most people agree that fillets are not to be cooked medium well.

blatz
05-23-2005, 03:32 AM
If you don't do too much cooking, and want to do something super simple yet awesome, start with this...

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 large onion, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon water
2 poblano chilies, seeded, sliced

2 8-ounce New York strip steaks (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
Additional chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil and salt in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix in onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1 tablespoon chili powder and crushed red pepper. Add 1 tablespoon water. Cover skillet and cook onion mixture 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and continue cooking until onion is tender and golden, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Add chilies and sauté until tender about 6 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to plate.
Rub each steak with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. Season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and add steaks to same skillet. Cook as desired, about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to platter. Top steaks with cilantro. Surround with onions and chilies and serve immediately.

Tomorow, we do pork chops...

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i cooked a steak on it last night

[/ QUOTE ]

You cooked a steak in a [censored] skillet? WTF is wrong with people?

theredpill5
05-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cast iron when seasoned well is pretty non-stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important. Make sure you season the metal before using it. I love these skillets because you can bake with them too. We have a set of them and I cook jalepeno cornbread in one all the time.

cnfuzzd
05-23-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an inside joke. I actually thought it was funny. I just wish somebody other than cnfuzzd fell for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i figured it had something to do with the bigsteve thread, or something such. I dont really read all of oot anymore, simply because im not interested in most of it. However, as someone who religously trims their own fillets from the loin, and savors the mild flavor of a fillet like some people enjoy the messy conclusion of a good blow job, it is my belief that fillet mignon is not an appropriate subject for sarcasm.

peace

john nickle